google maps file

Thread: google maps file

google maps file

hi everyone,if i install that google maps mod,can it be reversed if im not happy with it?

on a side note,ive just gotten my msfs 2020 where i want it aside for that mod,the twin otter and AH
    p51,and my feetgot all tangled up under me,fell and broke my left wrist,snapped the bone clean through and broke my left knee cap.sure yall can say i dont need the rudder peddles etc,but the cast on my arm is allowing me to enjoy the sim...so imma haveta wait until im healed up.

Yes, I think I completely reversed mine after installing it, hating it, wishing I had never heard of it, questioning many of my other life choices, and reading up online about how to completely erase it.

The tricky part is editing something called a "hosts" file, a system file it monkeys with that you are not supposed to touch normally. Instructions on doing this are in the doc files and around the web. If you don't do that, it will continue to hijack one of your comm ports and open it up to who knows what security issues.

I did this a few months ago and there doesn't seem to be any trace of it on my PC any more, but it's hard to be sure.

Really sorry about your injury! Hope it wasn't from tripping over a joystick cable or something.

August

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    Good grief Daveroo,

I had looked into this mod as well. It displayed some things better than the default Bing mapping system that MSFS uses and sometimes not!

K5083 hit the nail on the head! Despite the option of having a little more prettiness in your MSFS. I, for one, would rather not have all of those possibilities K5083 mentioned. Microsoft and ASOBO could introduce an update into MSFS that could prevent the use of Google maps data since they do not own Google maps.

If you even mention that mod at the official forum, your post will be deleted and the thread possibly shut down. To say they don't support it is a massive understatement.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

If you need to edit the host file you can look for it in this path

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

You can use the normal text editor to make changes but you have to run the editor as admin or you will not be able to save your edits.

Here is the default content.

I would simply comment out any entries not in the default file. Comments start with #

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
    # 127.0.0.1 localhost
    # ::1 localhost
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Members who have read this thread: 0