DC-3 On The Way, Not AH??

Thread: DC-3 On The Way, Not AH??

First we've heard. Well it doesn't stop our train now...

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    And it won't stop me from buying you guy's DC-3!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

looks like I'll soon have as many Dc-3's as PC-6's in my hangar - life is good
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Wild guess: Airfoillabs working on an XPlane 'Study Level' DC-3 for quite some time already. What if they've gone wise and changed their XP only policy ?...

That's the spirit Baz !

Remember never too much Dakota's !

Can we order the ground crew to bring on the generator more or less ?...

saw your post in the other thread at that other site and saw the Airfoilabs C47 renders - WOW

If that one works its way into MSFS that's a good thing too - The Dc-3 series is a robust enough aircraft to have more than one developer - got to cover a ton of variants
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by tankerguy72 View Post
    I want a DC-3 with a GREAT soundset!
    Oh you'll certainly be getting that. We have the best in the WWise business on our DC-3.

Oh you'll certainly be getting that. We have the best in the WWise business on our DC-3.
    Then you'll have my money. Just had a 3 doing runups at our local airport last weekend. You just cant beat that sound.

Be first to market.
    There's $ to be made from that role
    T43

Can anyone point to where AirFoilLabs stated or hinted that they might bring this X-Plane DC-3 across to MSFS2020 ? It looks gorgeous.

https://www.airfoillabs.com/c47-dc3

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    Can anyone point to where AirFoilLabs stated or hinted that they might bring this X-Plane DC-3 across to MSFS2020 ? It looks gorgeous.

https://www.airfoillabs.com/c47-dc3
    Agree, AirFoilLabs visuals you referred to look very good.

Can't point, other than to comment that there is a hybrid DC-3 in MSFS at the moment & it uses a Kingair cockpit.
    I understand it is from the Asobo Kingair 350. & again I don't know if AirFoiLabs were involved in the Asobo Kingair.
    There are crumbs, but reading this thread across several forums you can gain the impression there is a lot of pent up demand for an MSFS DC-3/C-47.
    T43

Looking once more at the original Avsim thread, this new DC-3 is not the Airfoillabs one brought over from X-Plane, but a new model altogether. The original poster is being tiresomely mysterious, so we shall have to wait for more definite news.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    Looking once more at the original Avsim thread, this new DC-3 is not the Airfoillabs one brought over from X-Plane, but a new model altogether. The original poster is being tiresomely mysterious, so we shall have to wait for more definite news.
    He's digressed into DC-3 history lessons.
    Hopefully this isn't a wind up.
    Most Avsim contributors are cutting him slack at the moment.
    How 'soon' is 'soon'?
    In my book, within 30 days.
    T43

I mean, variety is fine, but AH has been making great stuff for 20 years as of this year, so I’m just anxiously awaiting Baz’s WWise Wonder for now.

Given the long history of the DC-3/C-47 and huge variety of models/equipment, I’d hope that if this second bird exists, that it’s going to represent a different era/model (Super DC-3, anyone?) rather than just try to plot the market.

Fun fact: I proposed to my ex on the sole C-41, flying over the SF Bay at dusk.

OP latest, 'soon' could be 3rd quarter 2022.
    Stand down.
    T43

I think .... its not a problem. How many we had DC-3 for FSX or P3D? There is room for everyone!
    More DC-3 = more fun and competition is always good from the customer's perspective. Personally, I like the AH DC-3 (P3D), although not all things have been fixed in the last patch, but the AH model for MSFS is still valid for me. I also always suggest being a beta tester in that case . I honestly dont believe that this announcement from Avism is actually really "soon". More like a couple of months I suppose than "not more than 30 days".
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

It never stops to amaze me how people continue to assume it just takes a couple of months to produce something like this. AirfoilLabs C-47 project is in its 5th year. Yes it is a work of art. But 4 years? For us, not even a starter as far as sound business sense goes.

Of course, if some are prepared to wait for ours until 2026...

And if this new one is indeed in the planning stage, then 6 months would be an astounding effort to get it to market.

Seriously though, we are in business in difficult times. By the time our DC-3 reaches the market, our costs will have reached well into the tens of thousands of dollars.

Put an hourly rate on the modeling for example. On average, a 3D modeler will charge between $30 and $60 per hour. Just because we do our own modeling does not "devalue" that component - it's still a job - we don't do anything else. In the DC-3/C-47, we probably have well over $30,000 of modeling value. Sounds, again, are in the multiple thousands of dollars. That's a fact. We are using the best in the business. Now, add in texturing, flight modeling, programming code and more and you have a pretty tidy production cost.

So, do the sums. How many DC-3's do you think we will have to sell, just to break even? Yes the MSFS market is much bigger than say the P3D market but even then the numbers are not what you think.

We are delighted and expect to have competition, it's part of the business and always has been.

Bring it on.

the first Dc-3 that comes to market for MSFS gets my money....

but then so does the second, and the third, and..
    enter..the Sandman

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    the first Dc-3 that comes to market for MSFS gets my money....

but then so does the second, and the third, and..
    I second that!!

I can NEVER have too many DC-3's in my hangar (I'll just have to build another one )
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    I d hope that if this second bird exists, that it’s going to represent a different era/model (Super DC-3, anyone?)
    NO!!!

Would you really like to fly with a barndoor as vertical stab, ugly gear doors, ugly stubby engine nacelles ?.... Half of the beauty of the DC-3 has been ruined here !

No, really please don't get ideas into the head of the mysterious "new DC-3 to be" developers. Let them do a proper DC-3/C-47 first before even thinking about that ugly Super DC-3. I mean, atm we have no DC-3 at all, right ? A DC-3 doesn't need to be 'Super'. The most beautiful DC-3 is just what it is, a DC-3. Leave 'Super' in the capable hands of Jerry Siegel, Joe Shuster and Stan Lee.

Well, IMHO only of course, Denny, but still..

Agreed, the Super DC-3 /C-117 was a bit of a hound to look at, but I gradually warmed to it after Manfred Jahn released his freeware one.

Members who have read this thread: 0