Carrier Ops (continuation) from MSFS - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carrier Ops (continuation) from MSFS

Jan, try the mission editor, it is really simple. For a simple flight you select a map, put a plane on an airbase and save it. You can select the starting state, i.e. cold and dark or running, on the apron or at the runway etc. set up weather, time, season and all that.

Once you get the hang of it you can add other stuff like adversaries or AI friendly flights, the lots.

Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
    I don't know how much you paid on Steam for "DCS", but the whole DCS basic software package is FREE from DCS. You could start over with DCS standalone (that is NO Steam) for no charge (that would include the Caucasus map and the Mariannas map is free once DCS is installed). But do, at a minimum, add Flaming Cliffs 3 for $25 as it has more than $25 worth of aircraft. From the DCS Website -
    Thanks, Jay !

Yes, i wrote 'bought' re my Steam DCS copy, my fault because it actually is free too at Steam. Sorry. And all the other stuff you mention is included too. That's quite a great deal ! But the F-14 and F-18 a.o. are of course quite a bit of expensive snakes in the grass...( it's like getting a printer for next to nothing but Low and Behold once you run out of ink... ;-) I do find your suggestion to start-over via DCS itself a great idea and food for thought. I do have everything running pretty much to my content now though, so that's the only reason that withholds me from throwing everything overboard and start over. I will think about it. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    Jan, There are a couple of T-45 missions out there. One has you taking off from and flying to a couple different airbases.
    Thanks John ! That's exactly what i'm looking for ! Do you have a link maybe ? I went searching for T-45 missions but only found carrier missions. Did try them just so i know where to put them. Works fine so that's Ok.

You can create your own with the mission creator. It is not that hard to get the basics down. I don't think any of the other Maps have T-45 missions. Remember it is not a DCS supported aircraft.
    Indeed! Found out a bit about the Mission Creator and got my first 'Mission' going : Parked hot at the ramp in the T-45, take-off, circuit and land. Bingo ! Ended up in a bowl of fire in between the trees because i kept pushing the wrong brakes button... Also flew above the UK during WWII but not the time to split hairs, right ? Hehe.. Got the picture of it a little bit now ( looks to be quite amazing what you can do with it! Wow!!) so the DCS world is about to be my oyster ! ( still would love a link to these base to base missions ! ;-)

I don't use and don't recommend the Steam version.
    Why is that, John ?..

I've been using Steam for all my game stuff since i was born. Never ever a problem. Got a new computer ? Never ever a problem. Invoke Steam, enjoy a copious dinner et voila all my stuff back without so much as a how do you do. All the trials and tribulations i've read about MSFS simmers almost constantly in trouble with MSFS updates and the marketplace. I honestly don't know anything about that.

Next to MSFS a few of my fav games, ETS2, Transport Fever2, Asetto Corsa, PlanetZoo, i can't even begin to think about the tuckloads of mods i would have to reinstall myself if something happend to my computer or bought a new one (just last year, particularly for MSFS..;-) It's all taken care of by Steam. I'd easily say the best thing next to sliced bread. But that's only my opinion and experience of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    Jan, try the mission editor, it is really simple. For a simple flight you select a map, put a plane on an airbase and save it. You can select the starting state, i.e. cold and dark or running, on the apron or at the runway etc. set up weather, time, season and all that.
    Thanks, Dimus ! See above

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post

Why is that, John ?..

I've been using Steam for all my game stuff since i was born. Never ever a problem. Got a new computer ? Never ever a problem. Invoke Steam, enjoy a copious dinner et voila all my stuff back without so much as a how do you do. All the trials and tribulations i've read about MSFS simmers almost constantly in trouble with MSFS updates and the marketplace. I honestly don't know anything about that.

Next to MSFS a few of my fav games, ETS2, Transport Fever2, Asetto Corsa, PlanetZoo, i can't even begin to think about the tuckloads of mods i would have to reinstall myself if something happend to my computer or bought a new one (just last year, particularly for MSFS..;-) It's all taken care of by Steam. I'd easily say the best thing next to sliced bread. But that's only my opinion and experience of course.

Thanks, Dimus ! See above
    Probably because I am not much of a gamer. I have played games in the past. When my children were young, I would play FPS with them. Later I got into the Elder Scrolls series, especially Skyrim. all of these were purchased by CD or DVD. Then came Witcher I had to get Steam for it. I found it less convenient than a CD/DVD.

I had to use Steam VR to use my Reverb G2 in DCS. When loading DCS with the G2 active, I have to open VR Steam, which means hitting F4 a time or two to get the cursor out of DCS, then while looking at the flat screen put the cursor on Reset Position, drop the headset back on and hit the left mouse button. All the while, hoping the cursor hasn't moved off the Reset Position button. Finally, I am ready to go with DCS.

With MSFS, I have a button set to in/out VR. I put the headset on and hit that button, Volia I am in-game. MSFS allows me to set another button to reset my position. So, I do not need to take my headset off.

Christmas a year ago, in a weak moment, I purchased on sale Disnonnored2 and another famous game that takes place in ancient Grease. Over a year later, I haven't played either.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Blog Entries
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

@javis, mission editor is simple and can be used to create VERY complex missions. It can utilize scripts, and do some amazing things. Anywhere from creating a mobile VORTAC station to creating AI Red Air that will actually execute a tactical BVR presentation with randomized tactics. Not just shoot and follow on until they die. Human Voice over Scripts can be added, and you can even create scripts to auto generate aircraft or ground units simply by clicking on the F10 map and then pasting the code into the scratch pad, all live in session. You can spawn altitude airspeed and heading. And simply place them at whatever distance you want via your mouse on the map. It's quite amazing actually. With the upcoming full implementation of the TrueSky and dynamic weather, it will look at lot more like MSFS. I saw rainbows in the latest 2022 video presentation from ED. In fact I know a guy who is able to inject live weather into the sim via code in discord using a bot. It's quite impressive.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Probably because I am not much of a gamer. I have played games in the past. When my children were young, I would play FPS with them. Later I got into the Elder Scrolls series, especially Skyrim. all of these were purchased by CD or DVD. Then came Witcher I had to get Steam for it. I found it less convenient than a CD/DVD.

I had to use Steam VR to use my Reverb G2 in DCS. When loading DCS with the G2 active, I have to open VR Steam, which means hitting F4 a time or two to get the cursor out of DCS, then while looking at the flat screen put the cursor on Reset Position, drop the headset back on and hit the left mouse button. All the while, hoping the cursor hasn't moved off the Reset Position button. Finally, I am ready to go with DCS.

With MSFS, I have a button set to in/out VR. I put the headset on and hit that button, Volia I am in-game. MSFS allows me to set another button to reset my position. So, I do not need to take my headset off.
    Aha, Ok, i understand. Well, i have been holding off VR and still do. I am extremely interested in VR but, reading about it, i still have the feeling it's not really the time yet to be able to fully enjoy it without restrictions and possible frustration. I'm sitting on the fence, watching and still holding back.. ( in 2D ;-)

Christmas a year ago, in a weak moment, I purchased on sale Disnonnored2 and another famous game that takes place in ancient Grease.
    Might have been Assassin's Creed Odyssey Ancient Creece ?....

I saw a video of that and was completely and totally blown away by the graphics ! Truth is that i don't care for all these blood guts and gore games. So, extremely very much surprised and utterly pleased i stumbled across the fact that Ubisoft, in its great wisdom, decided to get rid of all the violance, blood and gore and released a new version called "Assassin's Creed Discovery Tour Ancient Greece". Holy Moly!!!

It's just like they heared my wish when i was watching that video ! To be able to just walk around in 500 BC Athens in such breathtaking detail without having to hack someone's arm or head off. And not only walk, fly along with an eagle too or ride a horse ! Totally in love with this, well....'ungamed game' ! ( as is a US lady archeologist specialized in ancient Greece who is watching it together with the director of a US historical museum)

And that's not all, they did exactly the same with Assassin's Creed Odyssey Ancient Egypt ! (been walking around at the exact same spots for real many years ago !) Most wonderful and exiting time i spend in front of my monitor since loading up MSFS for the first time (and, not to forget, standing on the deck of the DCS Nimitz for the first time just recently ! ;-)

Links to some T-45 missions.
    Thanks much, John !

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    @javis, mission editor is simple and can be used to create VERY complex missions. It can utilize scripts, and do some amazing things. Anywhere from creating a mobile VORTAC station to creating AI Red Air that will actually execute a tactical BVR presentation with randomized tactics. Not just shoot and follow on until they die. Human Voice over Scripts can be added, and you can even create scripts to auto generate aircraft or ground units simply by clicking on the F10 map and then pasting the code into the scratch pad, all live in session. You can spawn altitude airspeed and heading. And simply place them at whatever distance you want via your mouse on the map. It's quite amazing actually. With the upcoming full implementation of the TrueSky and dynamic weather, it will look at lot more like MSFS. I saw rainbows in the latest 2022 video presentation from ED. In fact I know a guy who is able to inject live weather into the sim via code in discord using a bot. It's quite impressive.
    Thanks Rick ! Yes, already at initial investigation i noticed the incredible usability of the DCS Mission Editor. I have a feeling i might have just as much fun playing around with it as i'll have flying this incredible sim. That it is simple and easy to use i found out quickly by placing my T-45 on an airfield apron somewhere in the UK ready to taxi without knowing next to nothing about it yet. Very intuitive indeed.

Saving a mission, alter it after reloading, and then playing it also works great. Fantastic really !

Once i feel comfortable with trapping my fav Tomcat i'll be all over it !

NOR Platform ??

First and fore most, i certainly do not mean to start another OT thread (i know, i'm good at that..), just think this is the place to ask. Just curious...

What do you guys think of 'The NOR Platform' ?

Anyone knows more about ? If we believe META (i had a girlfriend called Meta ;-) it's 'The future of Simulation' i.e. DCS meets MSFS....

https://youtu.be/xrL-uGGwgtg

What do you think ?...

Forrestal

I don't want to sound greedy but what's up with Heatblur Forrestal for DCS ?

There's nothing about it on the Heatblur website and just another video at their Facebook page.

I absolutely love the DCS Super Carrier but i wouldn't mind having the Forrestal next to that ( he says without even having performed a succesfull trap once...LOL) Made that big plastic model of the Forrestal when i was in my teens.

So do i understand correctly it is not available yet ?.... I read words like 'freeware' too, that can't be right, can it ?

I also understand now that the DCS F-14 is made by Heatblur ? Do i buy it from their website or from the DCS store ?

Thanks gents !

It's at the stock DCS level of carrier features. I believe that they are trying to get it integrated into the Super Carrier level. More to come.

NOR is a break off of Heatblur. Heatblur merged with them a while back but broke it off almost as fast. A few people from the Heatblur team stuck around to produce it for META. I believe it's a Military Contract sim only.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Jan - My understanding is that the USS Forrestal is part of the F-14 module (from Heatblur in DCS store for $$$). According to the DCS "changelog" the USS Forrestal was added in OPENBETA update 2.7.7.14727. I am running DCS openbeta (it works fine), have the F-14 module, but have never checked to see if I can land on the USS Forrestal. Perhaps if you go to F-14 missions there may be a USS Forrestal mission available for the F-14. I will check that in the future and post.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

The Forrestal is already available to all in the mission editor. Just put it in a mission and start a flight on her deck. Not sure if it is the stable or open beta version only though (I use open beta).

You can check in the mission editor if you have the ability place it as a ship. currently it does not have the Supercarrier features, i.e. no interactive crew, but it is nicely modeled, plus you also have a smokestack blenching black smoke!

The Forrestal was added as AI Carrier. Originally it was part of the Payware F-14 package. I believe there's enough community uproar that it will eventually get the Super Carrier treatment. But my guess is that only if you own the Supercarrier.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
    Jan - My understanding is that the USS Forrestal is part of the F-14 module (from Heatblur in DCS store for $$$). According to the DCS "changelog" the USS Forrestal was added in OPENBETA update 2.7.7.14727.
    I don't use the openbeta, the Forrestal got added with the free trial of the F-14. It's still available after the end of the trial.

Thanks guys !

Two burning questions arise.... :

#1. How will i be able to find the time to actually fly an airplane here in DCS ?...

#2. How on earth will i ever be able to enjoy Carrier Ops in MSFS again ?...

That's it for the time being. Hehe

With each further DCS session another pair of socks blown away and for the umpteens time have to pick up my mouth from the floor. This is coming very very close to what i have always dreamed of re virtual carrier operations. Wow!! I say again Wow!!!

One of the truckload of things i would like to specifically thank the DCS dev team for is the water/sea animation around the ships. To me very important to make sailing ships come alive and look realistic. (and i have only seen it with calm weather sofar ! ;-). F.i. something totally lacking in MSFS.(I wonder what floatplanes will be like in DCS landing and taking off from water...) Particularly the bow wave is very well done. Love it!

Soooo, i've got my first Carrier Group going ! Sailing along at 25 knots with the Forrestal as the Leading ship. How about that !

Forrestal appeared right there on the Ships listing so i presume i have the Open Beta too (via Steam). And what wonderful model it is !! I dressed it up with static aircraft and carrier vehicles (i particular LOVE the Mules, i would've loved to create those myself, just for fun. I have a 1/48 carrier diorama featuring the F-14 and lots of carrier vehicles and crew, all by Verlinden. Made the deck myself which was great fun. Can't discribe how much fun i have now reliving that in glorious digital capacity ! ;-) (this F-14 diorama is about 25 years old but always kept it dustfree along with a bunch of others. Because of my back i can't do plastic modeling anymore, long live computers ! )

Next endeavour will be to get some action going on the deck. Going well sofar, thanks to you guys, but still LOTS to learn.

Thanks again, gentlemen !

P.S. I continue to be totally flabbergasted by everything that's possible with the Mission Editor and i suppose i have seen only about 5% sofar..;-)

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    NOR is a break off of Heatblur. Heatblur merged with them a while back but broke it off almost as fast. A few people from the Heatblur team stuck around to produce it for META. I believe it's a Military Contract sim only.
    Aaha, Ok ! Just wandered why i stumbled over it accidently and never read a word about it at the various flightsim sites.

So it's sort of a P3D on steroids then. Looks amazing!

Thanks, Rick!

Two pages and no mention of the other great module - perhaps not as technically complex as the F-14/F-16 etc, but complex in that the systems are not the same as US aircraft - the Saab AJS-37 Viggen - not only is it a fast jet that excels at destroying ships, but it can also gather intelligence using it's pods that can later be used to locate targets, it can also carry the BK-90 Mjolnir self guided bomblet dispensers. Its one of the more fleshed out modules having been in early access for many years, and is soon to be completed and out of EA. Just be prepared to learn a little Swedish along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by centuryseries View Post
    Two pages and no mention of the other great module - perhaps not as technically complex as the F-14/F-16 etc, but complex in that the systems are not the same as US aircraft - the Saab AJS-37 Viggen - not only is it a fast jet that excels at destroying ships, but it can also gather intelligence using it's pods that can later be used to locate targets, it can also carry the BK-90 Mjolnir self guided bomblet dispensers. Its one of the more fleshed out modules having been in early access for many years, and is soon to be completed and out of EA. Just be prepared to learn a little Swedish along the way.
    I also love the Viggen, another Heatblur product. They seem to be able to inject real life and special flavor in their products.

There are so many others that are amazingly made, like the Razbam Harrier that really showed its potential after they transferred it from P3D. The Mirage 2000 is also one of my favorites. It is just that the subject was carrier ops.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by centuryseries View Post
    I can only speak for myself in answering your question.
    1. Complexity of aircraft keeps me from learning everything. When I went to RTU/RAG for the F-4, it was six-months long full time. The first two months were just learning the systems. I have yet to learn anywhere close to proficiency the weapons systems of ANY of the models I have purchased. Those include the F-86, F-5, F-16, and F-18. I also own the P-47 & P-51, as well as the UH1 Huey, which I have never flown. This morning I considered buying the A-10C on sale. I thought what for? It will be one more airplane I will hardly use.

2. With all due respect to Europeans, I have no real desire to learn an Allied fighter. See above, just too much to learn. As for the USSR/Russian fighters, I have Zero interest. I grew up with the fear of USSR and their nuclear bombs. I spent three years sitting nuclear alert with my own nuclear bombs and Russian targets. Again, no disrespect to Eagle Dynamics or anyone from the Soviet Bloc. I simply have no interest in their aircraft. There is one exception to that statement. I own the L-39. I bought it and flew it a few times before losing interest. I found the other aircraft to be more interesting.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

I can only speak for myself in answering your question.
    1. Complexity of aircraft keeps me from learning everything. When I went to RTU/RAG for the F-4, it was six-months long full time. The first two months were just learning the systems. I have yet to learn anywhere close to proficiency the weapons systems of ANY of the models I have purchased. Those include the F-86, F-5, F-16, and F-18. I also own the P-47 & P-51, as well as the UH1 Huey, which I have never flown. This morning I considered buying the A-10C on sale. I thought what for? It will be one more airplane I will hardly use.

2. With all due respect to Europeans, I have no real desire to learn an Allied fighter. See above, just too much to learn. As for the USSR/Russian fighters, I have Zero interest. I grew up with the fear of USSR and their nuclear bombs. I spent three years sitting nuclear alert with my own nuclear bombs and Russian targets. Again, no disrespect to Eagle Dynamics or anyone from the Soviet Bloc. I simply have no interest in their aircraft. There is one exception to that statement. I own the L-39. I bought it and flew it a few times before losing interest. I found the other aircraft to be more interesting.
    That's fair enough, I can't argue with any of that I must admit the complexity of some of the modules blows my mind, I don't know how anyone could find the time to learn all that one module can do without devoting their entire waking day to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Thanks guys !

I have a 1/48 carrier diorama featuring the F-14 and lots of carrier vehicles and crew, all by Verlinden. Made the deck myself which was great fun. Can't discribe how much fun i have now reliving that in glorious digital capacity ! ;-) (this F-14 diorama is about 25 years old but always kept it dustfree along with a bunch of others. Because of my back i can't do plastic modeling anymore, long live computers ! )
    I have made almost the exact same diorama in 1/72! I was still at high school circa 1986. It was the aft starboard side and I modeled the hull down to the waterline, including the sea and the wake. I remember I had Tomcats and Corsairs parked on the deck and an elevator moving down with two planes on. I just do not have the time and patience to do this any more so yes, long live computers, I make scenery now...

I also am far from learning any module well and some that I have purchased haven't been flown. But, when they are on sale I grab at least one just in case I become inspired in the future when they are not on sale.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    I have made almost the exact same diorama in 1/72! I was still at high school circa 1986. It was the aft starboard side and I modeled the hull down to the waterline, including the sea and the wake. I remember I had Tomcats and Corsairs parked on the deck and an elevator moving down with two planes on. I just do not have the time and patience to do this any more so yes, long live computers, I make scenery now...
    I think i may have been amongst the first here in the Netherlands who bought a home computer. Sinclair Spectrum 48K. Sort of a fancy calculator. Didn't know anything about computers but i fell in love with this thing the minute i got my hands on it. Soon changed to Atari 1040ST but i still have that little Spectrum thingy and still love it. ;-)

Started with scenery too once 'Aircraft & Scenery Designer' became availabe for FS4 but that soon changed to aircraft model design. With a 500 poly limit initially not for the faint of heart to make something decent out of it.

Nice you modeled the hull down to the waterline including the sea and wake ! Tried that too with a ship model, 1/250 scale Buckley i think it was, no matter what i tried but it kept on looking like it had run ashore onto the cliffs.. Hehe I have mine on a piece of chipboard and concentrated on the deck, vehicles and crew. Only because of Verlinden of course. Qua weathering i learned everything from this guy. He was my hero back then. It seems the more common branch of plastic model brands have taken over now. Even seen mules and other carrier deck vehicles in 1/32 now. Wow!

Hey guys, quick question if i may:

Does the Fly-By Camera only work with aircraft ?.... It's not like i can watch the carrier sail by from a certain point ?...

I come as far as putting the T-45 at the far end of the deck, above the bow, and then use the Fly-By camera. Sure, it's not called 'Fly-By' camera for nothing of course, not 'Sail-By' camera. Just wondering if it can be made possible somehow ?....

As always thanks very much !

Ahoy there !

Ok, scratch that last one, guys. Found it !

Gotta say DCS has not failed me sofar, on ze contrary ! Could not make much out of the Free Camera sofar so i went looking for its possibillities. Wow! Just what i was looking for ! I bought every PC ship simulation i could get my dirty hands on, civil and militairy alike, historic or modern, but nothing much gave me what i am looking for: simply watch a ship sail by, preferably at stormy high seas and from fairly far away, like i was in a dinghy or something far away at sea. Now i just did that in DCS and it looks totally awesome !

Do have to say now that the stormy sea anim as such could do with some upgrade but around the ship it looks great.

I also went looking for more ships, particularly regarding a Forrestal Carrier Group like from the 60's or 70's. Looks like i shall have to wait a minute or two for that... ( now hold on a second here sailor, don't you think you're going a bit overboard looking for such things ? Possibly, sure... Typical case of been givin a finger and then grabbing the whole hand.. ;-)

It's the LCtrl+F11 that does the magic. It did spawn from my last camera mode, external aircraft view, and then i could 'slew' all over the place with the W,A,S,D keys until i had the Forrestal exactly where i wanted it. Absolutely brilliant ! I don't even think about when i manage to get AI launch or trap activity on the deck going. ( that must be possible, right ?.... )

With this awesome camera option going now too i think i've got all my initial whishes for DCS on line now. Time for some flying and see how the clouds look !

Cheers,
    Jan

Members who have read this thread: 1