Carrier Ops (continuation) from MSFS

Thread: Carrier Ops (continuation) from MSFS

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Carrier Ops (continuation) from MSFS

A discussion on what DCS modules to purchase developed in the MSFS 2020 forum. A few thoughts.

I agree that the Flaming Cliffs module is a great first purchase. The F-15 alone is worth the price, and I (think?) you may get the Nevada/Nellis map with it.

As for Carrier Ops, unless someone really desires the F/A-18C, I suggest the free T45C be used for Carrier Ops until you are comfortable with traps. The T-45C, at least for me, is a lot easier to land on a carrier.

If you prefer to blow up sh..stuff the A-10 (paid version) is an excellent choice. If you need a fast mover, look into the F-16C. It too is excellent at blowing up things, both in the air and on the ground.

I have the F-86 and enjoy flying it in the pattern. I have not attempted any of the addon campaigns.

If you like the WWII era, the new Normandy map is excellent, and I have both the P-47 and P-51 to go with the two WWII maps. I have never survived a dog fight in the P-51. However, the graphics of getting your ass shot off are amazing.

I do not have any of the former Soviet aircraft. Having spent three years on nuclear alert during the Cold War, I have no desire to fly any USSR aircraft, but that is just me.

I do have the UH1 Huey, however, I have never tried to fly it. so, I can't say much about helicopters. I have read, however, that the flight models are excellent.

Just my thoughts.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

John (and All),

I have some experience with the F/A-18 around the carrier in DCS (and RW in the S-3A) and always use the "Missions" menu from F/A-18 and Supercarrier. There is a list of things I do and usually land in one piece. (I can list the procedure if anyone is interested.)

My question for John is how do you setup around the carrier using the T-45? Thanks.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
    John (and All),

I ...
    My question for John is how do you setup around the carrier using the T-45? Thanks.
    Jay, Under Instant Action, the T-45 has two FAM flight missions. One is day and the other night. Both will put you engines running on the deck. You can then taxi to the catapult and launch using the normal procedures.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

Ok, thanks John and Jay for setting this up ! Let's see if i can make this my second home here. ;-)

Because of all the Controller tribulations (not really sure i will be happy with having to setup controls for each and every aircraft i want to fly. Seems quite redundant to me atleast regarding aircraft controls and other basic operations. It's not like there's an *option* to either use this format or not, right ?...) i have only been fooling around with the P-51 around the default scenery.( got to say i could do this for hours what with the fantastic Fly-By View and totally amazing Merlin Sound ! ;-). Since i don't have either the F-14, F-18 or T-45 yet i have only been aboard the Russian carrier with the SU-33 (i think it was...) Nothing much to see there so i leave it maybe for later.

I will now install the T-45 and see what's up on the Nimitz deck. In the videos i saw it looks absolutely stunning ! I did get the impression that the deck crew only help you with launching (which looks awesome!) but not with parking after trap ?

One general question about DCS if i may: AFAIK it's 'only' prop-/jetfighters that are available sofar, right ? Is there any sign of f.i. a B-17 or even a C-47 we might welcome sooner or later in DCS ? And re carriers what about a COD, Greyhound, Trader, Tracker or Hawkeye ? Anything like that in the DCS pipeline that you guys know of ?....

Thanks very much sofar, gents, very exited about it, can't wait for my first launch ! ;-))

Cheers,
    Jan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Ok, thanks John and Jay for setting this up ! Let's see if i can make this my second home here. ;-)

Because of all the Controller tribulations (not really sure i will be happy with having to setup controls for each and every aircraft i want to fly. Seems quite redundant to me atleast regarding aircraft controls and other basic operations. It's not like there's an *option* to either use this format or not, right ?...) i have only been fooling around with the P-51 around the default scenery.( got to say i could do this for hours what with the fantastic Fly-By View and totally amazing Merlin Sound ! ;-). Since i don't have either the F-14, F-18 or T-45 yet i have only been aboard the Russian carrier with the SU-33 (i think it was...) Nothing much to see there so i leave it maybe for later.

I will now install the T-45 and see what's up on the Nimitz deck. In the videos i saw it looks absolutely stunning ! I did get the impression that the deck crew only help you with launching (which looks awesome!) but not with parking after trap ?

One general question about DCS if i may: AFAIK it's 'only' prop-/jetfighters that are available sofar, right ? Is there any sign of f.i. a B-17 or even a C-47 we might welcome sooner or later in DCS ? And re carriers what about a COD, Greyhound, Trader, Tracker or Hawkeye ? Anything like that in the DCS pipeline that you guys know of ?....

Thanks very much sofar, gents, very exited about it, can't wait for my first launch ! ;-))

Cheers,
    Jan
    Jan, It is not as complicated as it sounds. Most of the basic controls are standard from one airplane to another. If you set up the pitch and roll axises to your controller, they will work for other aircraft. Most of the controls that or commands that apply to one aircraft will apply to the rest. Where you will get differences is between specific controls. For example, the bomb arming switches may be different from the P-51 to P-47. Jets like the F-16 and F-18 will have different weapons command because they access the weapons differently.

As of now, the deck crew only help launch you. They may be some LSO radio calls, but I don't use the radio, so I can't say for sure.

Since DCS is a combat simulator, only aircraft with weapons capability (there are a couple exceptions) are controllable. Aircraft like C-17, B-52, or AI only.

Down the road...Razban is working on a F-15E, which like the F-14 should have an AI WSO. Eagle Dynamics should release the Apache soon. Dino is coming out with a DCS version of the 339. There is a free A-29 Tucano out there and a free F-22. I "think" someone is working on the F-4 Phantom, but I can't say for sure.

Be aware that Eagle Dynamics often releases an "Early Release". The aircraft will be half price and will have maybe two thirds of the weapons and systems operational. They then add weapons and weapons systems over a couple of years until the airplane is finished. I think it is a good deal. All the major systems work, and the price is right. To give you an example the F-18C just recently got ground mapping radar and the weapons which depend on it. You could drop bombs before, just not the latest smart weapons.

I hope this helps you.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post

Cheers,
    Jan
    Welcome to DCS Javis! I have to say, you will love it. For carrier aviation, there's nothing that compares. Not even close. And if I may make a recommendation - F-14 Tomcat. It comes with both A/B models. And multiple A variants. And the U.S.S. Forrestal. Probably the best simulation I've ever flown. Down to the "walkman" tape player you can activate to listen to your favorite music on! Including the FFWD and RWD functions and sounds! A true 1980s simulation.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Members who have read this thread: 1