DHC-6 Twin Otter for MSFS!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DHC-6 Twin Otter for MSFS!

DHC-6 Twin Otter for MSFS!

New Aerosoft DHC-6 Twin Otter for MSFS, got mail from JustFlight. For those interested...
    Regards

SimMarket: https://secure.simmarket.com/aerosof...ter-msfs.phtml
    Just Flight: https://www.justflight.com/product/a...aft-twin-otter
    Also on the Orbx Central app.
    Last edited by Tom Clayton; January 19th, 2022 at 16:35. Reason: Links Added

Initial reactions across several forums, ok re visuals & FDE, but not ok re sounds.
    T43

No issues with the audio here. Very much wanted this model in FS2020.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    No issues with the audio here. Very much wanted this model in FS2020.
    Your one of the luckier ones.

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php...omment-1072605

TG

Seems to me that in that forum thread a lot of people complain because it doesn't sound like they expect it to, rather than it's wrong, and Aerosoft have already promised to fix the sequences that actually need fixing...so pretty promising
    In fact it convinced me to buy...but pretty annoyed that even buying from JustFlight, all I get is the wretched Aerosoft One installer...so yet another piece of vendor-specific pootware to clog up my PC and I can't just download the full 3.8GB installer to my laptop during downtime

Finally!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    I could not get that blasted: Aerosoft One installer to work on my PC, I've got the ASUpdater desktop icon only.

I have not purchased the aircraft yet.

I just got mine from Orbx Central and didn't have to deal with any installers. With the exchange rate, I paid $36.40 US. My only gripe so far is that all the registrations are baked into the paints, so if I'm going to fly as N721TC, I'm going to have to get one or two paints into Gimp. I haven't tried to fly yet - that'll be this weekend.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by FlameOut View Post
    I could not get that blasted: Aerosoft One installer to work on my PC, I've got the ASUpdater desktop icon only.

I have not purchased the aircraft yet.
    I have purchased it and agree the Aerosoft One Installer was a pain to go through , I have MSFS Aerosoft products bought in 3 ways - direct from Aerosoft, from SimMarket and from the MS Store... all install differently

I got it last night, super nice model, flies like a dream, much like a Big Cessna with rough field and STOL capability.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I like it too. I got it through SimMarket which did force me to go through the AO installer, mildly irritating but it did work smoothly. Hope it will make updates easy? Anyway the plane itself is very nice.

It is fun to look at where Twin Otters are flying at any given moment:
    https://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/DHC6

Usually someplace exotic that you might not think of flying to! Good inspiration.

August

The STOL capability is a lot of fun, especially on fields like these (here in my home State at Strawberry Ridge).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (4552).jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	353.4 KB 
ID:	86077Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (4553).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	289.2 KB 
ID:	86078Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (4554).jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	393.8 KB 
ID:	86079Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (4557).jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	391.0 KB 
ID:	86080

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    It is fun to look at where Twin Otters are flying at any given moment:
    https://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/DHC6

Usually someplace exotic that you might not think of flying to! Good inspiration.
    As I type, there's currently one in the air over Malaysia, near Brunei.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I have yet to pull the trigger... the feedback has not been particularly positive on the interwebs. To offset that, Alex Metzger did the FDE so I know it will fly beautifully. This was a release I was SO LOOKING FORWARD TO in MSFS- the perfect platform for this lovely Sim.... perhaps after an update or two....

C

Quote Originally Posted by cavaricooper View Post
    I have yet to pull the trigger... the feedback has not been particularly positive on the interwebs. To offset that, Alex Metzger did the FDE so I know it will fly beautifully. This was a release I was SO LOOKING FORWARD TO in MSFS- the perfect platform for this lovely Sim.... perhaps after an update or two....

C
    Based on the same feedback, I’m waiting at least for a sound patch, which is reportedly in the works.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

To be perfectly honest, with some exceptions, I have begun to ignore many of these web ratings on any given product as personal opinions are often the proverbial "weathervane in a tornado" of how good or bad a given product may be. Case and point, I saw yesterday where the PMDG DC-6 had a pretty low rating at the FS2020 store which is beyond ridiculous and outright inaccurate, that model is well done & thought out, highly functional in every regard. In the case of the Twin Otter, there may be indeed a few legit quibbles on minor issues but overall it is a fantastic model.

I take note that with the new increase of Gamer type users in the mix of this hobby, we're going to see a lot of uninformed gripes who just don't know or understand the ropes of simulation use/coding. Most miss how to operate these models because they won't bother to read the manual and then map/test various built in functions leading to various mayhem.

I digress, I would stand on a limb for the folks at Aerosoft that a buyer is safe with this model.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This is a balanced review that I found helpful.

I like Aerosoft - I think they have a good sense of the market and how to approach it, and I've enjoyed their products for years. But it seems that this one could have used a little more time in the oven. I think it'll get there but I'm not sure it's there yet.

-- Saint-Exupery

I see his points, I think the sound issue could have a good bit to do with the Wwise and editing within that. The sounds in FS2020 to me (as I have stated before) seem like a major step backwards. As far as the Prop Beta Sounds, they are actually partly right but as so many FS versions before, a proper turboprop simulation has eluded us due to sim limitations and there have always been issues with sounds. In this and other Beta/Reverse issues, you hear part of the prop sounds decreasing (normal Beta droning plus vibration sounds) while you also hear the spooling up sounds which is part of the sim limitations in getting a physical reverse thrust effect. I think they could set the sounds to better reflect the Beta sounds while keeping the deceleration effect.

The rest are fairly minor issues, they happen but having formerly been a long time Beta Tester, the bugs will literally drive the Dev and Beta team mad when chasing/fixing them or finding a workaround and then one fix pops up a new bug.

As far as the handling, the Twotter is a STOL aircraft, they can get on/off the ground at very low speeds for their size and weight. A company I used to work for had 3 of them (all later sold to a cargo feeder company). We had a hurricane coming in one year, 2 of the 3 were gone, one left late, almost didn't get out before the airport closed because of the winds. The ATC's allowed a ramp takeoff because the pilot was concerned about taxing into the crosswind gusts. He held the breaks, went max rpm/torque, released the breaks and was off the ground well before the edge of the ramp during a brief lull in the winds. As far as the bank angle warning I believe is accurate, deliberately set that way, From the real check out FC's on the type: "Steep turns, spins, lazy eights and chandelles are prohibited"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31Cfq_3N6BI

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

From what I can tell from the video and other commentary, the issue isn't so much with the sounds themselves as with the very abrupt transitions and, for some users, the volume. It looks like they'll be addressing both in the first update. Agree that the rest of the quibbles seem pretty minor, again judging by the video and not the MSFS forum comments.

-- Saint-Exupery

Alan_A, I found that when I move the throttles smoothly with this model, the issue with the sound isn't so bad. Move them abruptly, the sound transition is all kinds of ugly. I still wonder how difficult it is the build sounds with Wwise. I keep reading it's a steep curve. I miss the days of switching sounds by a simple drop-in.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

After a few flights the Twin Otter grows on you and for me the sounds are 90% OK if you fly it 'right'.

But you can easily try other sounds (if you can access aircraft.cfg)

eg for the 300 Wheels Pax find the line in [FLTSIM.0]
    Sound="\..\..\AS_Aircraft_DHC6_Common\sound"
    and change the AS_Aircraft_DHC6_Common to another aircraft eg the Asobo_KingAir350
    Sound="\..\..\Asobo_KingAir350\sound"
    Now you can compare original and alternate sounds just by swapping liveries.

If you really want to change the sounds for all repaints its a bit harder, involves copying files and updating an XML file, might be possible to do as a mod but I think it's best to wait for Aerosoft to fine-tune their sounds as you miss a lot of the detail sounds by changing.

EDIT There's a mod to do this and more
    https://flightsim.to/file/26633/ccm-s-twin-otter-mod

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_A View Post
    From what I can tell from the video and other commentary, the issue isn't so much with the sounds themselves as with the very abrupt transitions and, for some users, the volume. It looks like they'll be addressing both in the first update. Agree that the rest of the quibbles seem pretty minor, again judging by the video and not the MSFS forum comments.
    Alan- I have wanted this airplane in MSFS for a VERY LONG TIME (since my first MSFS flight on day one) and am encouraged by this- purchasing now. Thanks!

C

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    After a few flights the Twin Otter grows on you and for me the sounds are 90% OK if you fly it 'right'.

But you can easily try other sounds (if you can access aircraft.cfg)

eg for the 300 Wheels Pax find the line in [FLTSIM.0]
    Sound="\..\..\AS_Aircraft_DHC6_Common\sound"
    and change the AS_Aircraft_DHC6_Common to another aircraft eg the Asobo_KingAir350
    Sound="\..\..\Asobo_KingAir350\sound"
    Now you can compare original and alternate sounds just by swapping liveries.

If you really want to change the sounds for all repaints its a bit harder, involves copying files and updating an XML file, might be possible to do as a mod but I think it's best to wait for Aerosoft to fine-tune their sounds as you miss a lot of the detail sounds by changing.

EDIT There's a mod to do this and more
    https://flightsim.to/file/26633/ccm-s-twin-otter-mod
    I tested the Mod in the bottom link, it works very well in tuning some of the stall behavior and other aspects. Not so sure about the sound mod, with any abrupt throttle movements the sound still acts out of sync with the needles to varying degrees.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I hate saying this, as I waited for this release for a very long time (since I first loaded the Sim and saw the New World...); but I am underwhelmed. There is such disconnect between the flight model and the sounds and systems, that it leaves me quite disconcerted. Hopefully Aerosoft will get this fixed sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by cavaricooper View Post
    I hate saying this, as I waited for this release for a very long time (since I first loaded the Sim and saw the New World...); but I am underwhelmed. There is such disconnect between the flight model and the sounds and systems, that it leaves me quite disconcerted. Hopefully Aerosoft will get this fixed sooner than later.
    Reading across several forums, Sim-outhouse is on the milder side as regards criticism of the Twin Otter.
    I think if Aerosoft doesn't address it the release will be remembered as the proverbial T in a PB in relation to their reputation.
    T43

Members who have read this thread: 1