Carenado C337 Skymaster now available
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carenado C337 Skymaster now available

Carenado C337 Skymaster now available

Hi All,

Just read that the Carenado C337 Skymaster is now in the Marketplace for $24.99?!

Blog Entries
    PC-12, PC-12, PC-12

Anyone get the idea that I am not interested in the C-337?
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

John....SWS announced a PC-12 a couple days ago:

https://msfsaddons.com/2022/01/08/simworks-studios-announces-the-pilatus-pc-12-for-msfs-coming-later-this-year/

If anyone has bought the 337...do they have an external model WITHOUT the blasted radar hanging off the wing (I want to do a pseudo O-2A, since they didn't include one!)

Kent

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    John....SWS announced a PC-12 a couple days ago:

https://msfsaddons.com/2022/01/08/simworks-studios-announces-the-pilatus-pc-12-for-msfs-coming-later-this-year/

If anyone has bought the 337...do they have an external model WITHOUT the blasted radar hanging off the wing (I want to do a pseudo O-2A, since they didn't include one!)

Kent
    Ouuuu, excellent! Their Kodiak is exceptional.

The C-337 is not a bad airplane. I had the FSX/P3D version. It is just too slow and limited for me.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

If it's still marketplace only...then it's still no buy for me

Just checked the Carenado page - it's Marketplace only. I'll still stick this because the plane is def. special interest, but I think I'll also pass on the purchase - for now at least. The vendor has, in the past, had a tendency to issue updates for issues seen in initial releases. I'll wait a bit and track the subject on the official board. If I see updates, then I'll consider it.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Unsurprisingly for the developer, this aircraft looks stunning, sounds amazing, and is at the very least "Default+" in terms of systems and flight modeling. Worth the purchase if you can tolerate the Marketplace (Carenado is my one and only no-Marketplace exception.) The weather radar was being a bit buggy for me which I reported to Carenado. Doesn't refresh without modes being switched. I also can't tell if the radar is showing clouds or precip. I know on some other payware I have there's a weather radar and while it initially showed clouds, it was updated to show precip. I'll have to do some testing. No regrets on this purchase, $25 is pretty reasonable for the quality. Also a Carenado standard: Night flights are a dream thanks to the lovely panel and flood lighting.

A pity. Marketplace = no go for me.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Purchased it and the quality is very good . No paint kit but initial investigations shows that the repaints are almost similar to the FSX repaints as far as the template they used . Ive got some repaints that will transfer to the new

MSFS format with just a little tweaking so Im pretty happy about that.

Bill

I picked it up as well, Carenado did a good job with this model. Looks, sounds, and flies well. Did my first two flights at night, ran a short area flight with the Autopilot and shot an ILS, it was solid as a rock.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    If it's still marketplace only...then it's still no buy for me
    It's Carenado. That means Marketplace only, and sixty to ninety days to have an update pushed out. Not a good formula with the constant cycle of MSFS updates.

I may wait for an update or two, and perhaps even for the inevitable sale that is bound to happen at some point.

Here's the list of complaints I've heard reported so far:

Sounds are terrible.
    Weather radar is wonky. (Probably due to the weather radar problem in MSFS.)
    Engine controls are reversed.
    Elevator feels "heavy" and animation both inside and out is limited.
    Windshield is tinted green. (Maybe not a complaint?)
    Pilot's seat position is too low, and cannot be adjusted in the config file.
    Brake animation is wonky.
    Ground handling is too sensitive.
    Flickering lighting in the cockpit.
    Flashes of daylight under the door frame.

Here's the list of praise I've heard reported so far:

Sounds are fabulous. "Just like the real thing."
    Textures and modelling are top notch.
    Landing gear animation is outstanding.
    Price is more than reasonable.

As I would expect, far more complaints than praise. I think that may simply be human nature. The only "real" complaint IMHO is the control reversal. If that proves to be the case (compared to the IRL aircraft) that is a pretty glaring error. However...

The screenshots I've seen posted look simply amazing. Carenado may not have the most complex models, but they always seem to be very pretty and they fly quite nicely. Landings in the Carenado aircraft I've flown are satisfying and consistent, even in crosswinds.

I'm very tempted to just "go for it" - the Skymaster is a favorite aircraft. I'm a bit spooked that the upcoming 22 February update for MSFS will break the airplane, as older updates have broken all the Carenado aircraft I have. (The Mooney had an inop fuel selector for months.) If that happens it would be disappointing, and I'd probably give up on both Carenado and The Marketplace for good. There are too many other great developers releasing aircraft for the sim that are both interesting and very well done. (The recently released SWS Kodiak is a gem.) Why suffer through the long update cycle and middle-of-the-road realism just for a "pretty" model?

Let me see if I can address some of these

Sounds are terrible. -They are pretty close actually but I hate the way Wwise sounds in this sim, frankly I think it's a big step backwards but that is my opinion.

Weather radar is wonky. (Probably due to the weather radar problem in MSFS.) I don't think it works at all, more a placeholder for aftermarket radar?
    Engine controls are reversed. They are but it's no major consequence, easy fix for the Dev
    Elevator feels "heavy" and animation both inside and out is limited. It's a heavy GA aircraft, twin engine on a single engine size airframe, my actual time in a 337
    I recall the elevator feeling a bit heavy but that was over 30 years ago, I remember the 337 was a pain in the A$$ to service & maintain.
    Windshield is tinted green. (Maybe not a complaint?) Some 337's had this, not sure why. 1970's looking tinting, ugly as hell.
    Pilot's seat position is too low, and cannot be adjusted in the config file. It's going to vary from one pilot to another, the real 337's seats are not height adjustable, get a pillow! LOL!
    Brake animation is wonky. ? The braking effect on most models are, again it is an FS2020 quirk, maybe too exaggerated?
    Ground handling is too sensitive. Yes, like most aircraft models in FS2020, it is an FS2020 issue but you can dial it back in the menu before flight
    Flickering lighting in the cockpit. Yes
    Flashes of daylight under the door frame. Yes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lightbulb

Bryant-- quick question...is there an external model WITHOUT without the radar pod? Only reason I am asking is because I'd love to see a pseudo O-2A repaint at some point.

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    Bryant-- quick question...is there an external model WITHOUT without the radar pod? Only reason I am asking is because I'd love to see a pseudo O-2A repaint at some point.

Kent
    Kent, I went back and checked, as far as I can tell there is not. I checked through all the menus for the model, no such option. I wonder if it is a drop-in no-radar model file hidden somewhere? I wish they would do a dedicated O-2 as well. I miss seeing those old birds. Last time I saw them was in the early 80's, if I saw one fly over, not long after, the ANG's F-105D's would come screaming over then F-4E's from the 4th TFW. Those were the days!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bryant…Thanks for the confirmation….the level obliviousness here is stunning. NO previous versions had WX radar pods on the wing. Maybe they will release a patch including a solitary no WX radar version. Better than nothing…

Kent

See review: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...essions/490001

Still in doubt or to get it, have made several military repaints for there FSX/P3D version.

Marcel

I bought it, but it has mirrored textures (wings, booms, tails) so you'll need to work with decals if you want to do any serious painting..
    so I'll shove it into the rear of the hangar for now
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Hi JanKees,

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    I bought it, but it has mirrored textures (wings, booms, tails) so you'll need to work with decals if you want to do any serious painting..
    Thank you, so different mapping as the P3D version?

Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by mgr View Post
    Hi JanKees,

Thank you, so different mapping as the P3D version?

Marcel
    different mapping ŕnd different method.
    The texture is white, and the colours come from a LIV.ALBD..PNG.DDS file
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	337_ID1_EXT_ALBD.PNG.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	206.9 KB 
ID:	86011Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LIV_ALBD.PNG.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	86012

I think the paint pattern is included in the model, since it comes with a different model file for each texture. Registrations go via decals.
    Can you get refunds from the marketplace? I don't think so, right?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Hi Jankees,

Nope, marketplace purchases are not refundable: https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/...Cancellations-

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Hi JanKees,

You saved me spending $25,-. Refunded you the 1/2 via Paypal

Real pitty they mirrored the wings and tailboom.

Marcel

it's a good model. wx radar problem will be fixed in the coming su from asobo. from a vr perspective, flood lights are bit too bright so had to edit the fx files to tone them down, gauge flood knob difficult to access but 'locked' mouse mode makes it easier. handles well and sounds are fine. for $27 a good buy.
    i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win10 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | P3D DCS MFS

Bought it. Like it. Always liked this plane. I got a ride in an O-2 back in the 1980s, at NAS Fallon, Nevada. When our division officer had the O-2 bomb scoring duty, where he would watch where the little blue practice bombs hit the target as our A-7E Corsair IIs did bombing runs, he would take one of us up with him. Great fun as he maneuvered to keep the target in sight, and out of the way of the A-7s screaming in, sometimes underneath us! Too bad about the mirrored textures, and the mandatory radar pod though.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    Understandable, but if you do happen to pull it out of the hangar for painting, I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping for some awesome O2-A liveries one day!

Members who have read this thread: 3