Morane Saulnier Type L

Thread: Morane Saulnier Type L

MS preview

Morane Saulnier that is - not Micro$oft. Since there was some interest in the plane I am going ahead with development.

I am doing 2 versions of the Morane Saulnier Type L. I think people will be more interested in the plane Roland Garros equipped with a machine gun and prop bullet deflector and was the first to shoot down an enemy aircraft. However from photos of this plane it is obviously a one-off unique plane - perhaps even a pre-war manufactured plane that was impressed into service. It is believed the wing was some 3 feet shorter than production Type L's and had no trailing edge cutout for an observer. Its nose was shorter and had a flat faced cowl. The landing gear forward legs were attached just behind the engine cowl.

So one version is the unique Garros aircraft and second version is the standard production model.

I still have the VC, panel, LODs and flight models to complete in order to finish them up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ms1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	85486

Name:	ms2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	85487
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Thank you!!! Can't wait to see the final product!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kurt View Post
    and was the first to shoot down an enemy aircraft.
    The first aircraft to score an aerial victory was a French Voisin III shooting down a German Aviatik B.I. That being said, there is no Voisin III nor Aviatik B.I available for CFS2.
    https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat...5_octobre_1914

Morane Saulnier Type L

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - World War I

Description: The Morane Saulnier Type L
    Although not well known, the two seat Morane Saulnier Type L parasol played a large role in WWI aviation between 1914 and 1916. Some 600 were produced by France for the unglamorous reconnaissance role. But it was also the first operational tractor airplane to be armed with a fixed machine gun firing through the propeller arc and the first aircraft used to destroy a German Zeppelin in flight.

The design dated from August 1913 and first 50 Type L parasols were ordered by Turkey rather than by the France. The Aviation Militaire permitted this but required these were to be powered only by a Gnome 50hp engine as all 80hp engines were reserved for French aircraft. They had the prototype’s wing span of 33ft, 5 1/2in. With war imminent and mobilization ordered, the Turkish Moranes were impressed, apparently re- engined with the 80 hp LeRhone 9c, and used to equip two reconnaissance Escadrilles, MS23 and MS26.

At the same time, full production was begun for the Aviation Militaire. With full production, the Type L had an increased wingspan of 36ft, 9in, and wing cutouts to accommodate the observer in the rear seat. Soon design improvements included a lengthened nose section and repositioned landing gear legs among other minor variations. The Aviation Militaire used the Type L extensively throughout 1914, 1915 and early 1916.

In 1914, the British RFC in France accepted 52 Type L Parasols for No.3 Squadron with a few going to No.1 and No,12 Squadrons. Also an order of 25 was placed by the RNAS for No.3 wing at Mudros, Lemnos, Greece and No.1 Wing at Dunkerque. Flying from Dunkerque, on June 7, 1915, Flt Sub Lieutenant R. A. J. Warneford destroyed Zeppelin LZ37, the first in mid air, by bombing it with six 20Lb Hales bombs. He was awarded the Victoria Cross for his success.

Under licenses obtained just prior to hostilities, Pfalz Flugzeugwerks GmbH produced some 60 virtually identical aircraft, powered by Oberursel engines as the Pfalz A.I, A.II and E.III types (carrying a Spandau MG with an interrupter gear). These were flown by the Bavarian flying units up to mid 1916.

Also under license, the Russian companies Duks and Lebed manufactured approximately 450 Type L Parasols for the Czar’s Imperial Russian Air Force.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The model, textures. panel and air files are by Captain Kurt. The pilot figures were developed from Wolfi's freeware Japanese pilot .fsc source file. The prop spinning texture is by Kelticheart.

Gauges are by Martin Klein.

Sounds are from the Nieuport by Gary Aumaugher

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Morane Saulnier Type L
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Roland Garros' Morane Saulnier Type L

Name:	Morane Saulnier Garros.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	260.8 KB 
ID:	85541

Roland Garros' Morane Saulnier Type L

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - World War I

Description: Roland Garros’ Morane Saulnier Type L

Although not well known, the two seat Morane Saulnier Type L parasol played a large role in WWI aviation between 1914 and 1916. Some 600 were produced by France and used it extensively in the unglamorous reconnaissance role. But it was also the first operational tractor airplane to be armed with a fixed machine gun firing through the propeller arc.

The design dated from August 1913 and first 50 Type L parasols were ordered by Turkey rather than by the France. The Aviation Militaire permitted this but required these were to be powered only by a Gnome 50hp engine as all 80hp engines were reserved for French aircraft. They had prototype’s wing span of 33ft, 5 1/2in. When full production was begun, the Type L had a wingspan of 36ft, 9in, wing cutouts to accommodate the observer in the rear seat, a lengthened nose section and other differences.

With war imminent and mobilization ordered, the Turkish Moranes were impressed, apparently re-engined with the 80 hp LeRohone 9c, and used to equip two reconnaissance Escadrilles, MS23 and MS26. One of the MS26 pilots was Roland Garros, who was a prewar celebrity air race pilot.
    The story goes that Garros secured a machine gun and enlisted designer Raymond Saulnier and his personal mechanic Jules Hue to figure a way to enable it to fire forward through the Type L’s propeller arc. Saulnier had been experimenting with a synchronizing interrupter gear, but it was proving erratic. So between Saulnier and Hue they designed a bullet deflector wedge fitted to the propeller which would prevent a bullet from piercing the prop.

From photographs it is apparent that Garros was able to equip one of the MS26 impressed Turkish Type L aircraft with the deflector propeller and a Hotchkiss machine gun. This he used to shoot down his first German aircraft on April 1, 1915. He shot down two more on April 15 and April 18. But on April 18 he was also brought down behind German lines by engine trouble. He was able to land uninjured but was captured and the secret of being able to fire directly through the propeller arc was in German hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The model, textures. panel and air files are by Captain Kurt. The pilot figures were developed from Wolfi's freeware Japanese pilot .fsc source file. The prop spinning texture is by Kelticheart.

Gauges are by Martin Klein.

Sounds are from the Nieuport by Gary Aumaugher

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Roland Garros' Morane Saulnier Type L
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.
    Last edited by Captain Kurt; December 8th, 2021 at 06:15.

at last an early plane - but then something is wrong, so when trying to D/L it, I only get a text file in a strange format, that is reluctant to open. Could you please re-upload this plane?
    Finn

Kurt,

Very nice little bird, no problems with download. Went for a test flight in my Pacific install(no WWI install yet) and it went well, only noted a couple of items:

No tracers appear when firing the MG(I might be missing an FX).

Muzzle flash not visible except when in external view and to the side.

Need a key command to re-load...those stripper clips don't last long

and Thank you!

Bwf

'Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons.
    - Gen. Douglas MacArthur -

A beautiful rendition of an important and often overlooked aircraft. Thanks Kurt

Lovely stuff!! Many thanks Kurt.

Don't know what the download issue was but I am reloading the file now anyway in case.

Regarding the tracers, it's just a little historical touch. No tracer or armor piercing rounds were used, as they would have damaged the bullet deflector and shot off the prop. The Germans proved that when they tested the captured prop. Only softer copper jacketed bullets were used by the French. 100 rounds supplied = to 5 clips.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Hi Captain,

Great Research.

Well done with this little beauty.

Cheers,

Stuart

Library Staff
    Well done Kurt - thanks very much for both the magnificent MS Type Ls.

Kevin

Thank you so much for these fine aircraft. Great work.

NormB

Lovely "Parasols" Kurt, two more expected beauties, keep on this way

Cheers
    Martin

Icon22 Reply....

Kurt,

Thank you very much for creating these parasol aircraft, it's really great to see all these different varieties of aircraft!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Icon22 Reply...

Kurt,

Thank you very much for creating these parasol aircraft, it's really great to see all these different varieties of aircraft!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Thanks Kurt

For two more keepers!!!

Cheers mav

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    Kurt,

Indeed, nice work!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Excellent Captn, a really lovely aeroplane. Thank you very much.

Graham.

I have dyslexia --- PMS view --- I thought I,d pass on it ,

Another beauty there CK,

Adding to an excellent collection of WWI warbirds, they all look good in both CFS2 and Fs9. And nice to see some very different ac choices...good on yer!

Cheers

Shessi

Lovely model! Does anyone know if this aircraft can be converted for use in FSX?

Brian

Captain Kurt,

thank you so much for Morane as well as for all your other WW1 planes and the Eddie Rickenbacker campaign. I was out of the world of flight simulators for a long time. I started with CFS 2 soon after the game release, then went for FS9, spent beautifull time at The Old Hangar and here, but the real world prevailed. As a ww1 aeroplane enthusiast just can not pass on your beautifull aeroplanes so I am back in game!

So many thanks to you and others, for keeping this great sim alive and kicking!

Mike

Members who have read this thread: 0