FSX Gold vs FSX-SE for Sim Rebuild?

Thread: FSX Gold vs FSX-SE for Sim Rebuild?

FSX Gold vs FSX-SE for Sim Rebuild?

Last week my PC gave me the "Black Screen of Death" while I was getting a cup of coffee. If my computer repair folks can't recover the data on the bad HD my entire FSX and FS9 installs are down the drain. Yes, it's my fault for not doing proper back-ups. With that admission off my chest, my question is: If you were starting over in FSX would you stay with the FSX Gold with Acceleration disk set or go with FSX Steam Edition?

Actually I would probably go with Steam Edition, only because it does have some bug fixes in it that would not be present in the original Gold edition.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

I agree with Joe
    Also you wont have to jump through hoops activating it.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Steam would be the way to go. We build for it and if you had any of our models we will replace them at no charge. Just PM me

With my new computer I made the switch from boxed FSX Acceleration to FSX Steam Edition. Installation was a breeze, although I do recommend installing it a directory other than C:\Program Files (x86).
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

The Steam version also got some updates that the boxed version never did.

I'm with the rest. I went to the steam edition when I bought a new computer and never regretted it.

Cheers,
    Huub

The Steam Edition included many of the "tweaks" that you used to have to perform to the sims's cfg file. There were also some fixes for how FSX handles memory, so crashes due to FSX running out of memory are reduced.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Thank you everybody for your comments. Fortunately my old Windows 7 HD with my (not real big) FSX-SE install on it is intact so I still have some of my FSX airpower. Can I safely copy the original FSX-SE over to my new HD? Or are there registry entries that Steam would look for when I tried to start the sim?

Don't quote me on this, but I believe you just go online with Steam and then install all your Steam games/software on the new hard drive. Make sure you have backups of any of the add-ons since you may or may not have to re-register them, depending on whether they are paid or free.

I have FSX-SE on my home computer and on my Surface as well. As long as I have Steam running in the background (online or offline) when I try to "fly" the sim on either one, things will work as advertised. Don't have any payware other than the DX10 add-on, but that's only on my home computer.

Haven't flown FSX for a while, though. Mostly back to FS9 with classic stuff now.

From what I understand, apart from the fixes all being applied as already mentioned, the FSX-SE version of the sim was also recompiled using newer compiling software. I believe it was the same if not a similar software that Lockheed used to recompile and improve the thing as P3D. This should be another reason there aren't that many crashes of this version of the sim.

Regards,

Jorge

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
    ....Haven't flown FSX for a while, though. Mostly back to FS9 with classic stuff now....
    Well, that is something we don't hear every day. I have to admit that for me FS9 was a lot more fun than FSX. I miss the airplane of the month club.

My avatar is from FS9 too.

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

Based on the responses I've received here I've installed FSX-SE on my new Windows 7 HD and so far everything is working fine. Just default planes right now except for Paul Clawson's Northrop BT-1 which has been one of my favorites since I first installed FSX. Also installed AICarriers and have done some Carrier Qual with the BT-1 on Yanco's Battle of Midway US CV's. Thanks again everybody and if anyone else wants to put their two cents in here about FSX-SE by all means post away.

Quote Originally Posted by tommieboy View Post
    Well, that is something we don't hear every day. I have to admit that for me FS9 was a lot more fun than FSX. I miss the airplane of the month club.

My avatar is from FS9 too.

Tommy
    Crikey your Avatar brings back memories, most of them good. I miss being on the team, used to enjoy the forum and the buzz with new projects every few months.

Quote Originally Posted by centuryseries View Post
    Crikey your Avatar brings back memories, most of them good. I miss being on the team, used to enjoy the forum and the buzz with new projects every few months.
    Yes, those were good times indeed. We had a good crew.

Members who have read this thread: 0