Consensus on Full Reno package?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consensus on Full Reno package?

Consensus on Full Reno package?

I bought one L39 for now - seems nice enough for the 10 bucks. But for people who bought the entire pack - was it worth it? I don't see myself ever flying the Pitts. The P51 and T6's look a little interesting. Was really hoping they'd have included the Lancair Legacy and Glasairs hehe.
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

It kind of depends on how interested you are in the Reno airplanes.

There are some issues with some of the models (although the P-51A is supposed to get a patch next week), but they're generally pretty good, and Asobo actually did a pretty good job of capturing the difference between the cockpits (The T-6's and L39's have everything from stock avionics to full glass Garmin setups), so it's not really a copy/paste of the same airplane. I'd assume most of the big errors (pilots sticking out of cockpits and such) will get fixed, but since it's Asobo, who knows when that'll be.

They also did a pretty good job with the flight modeling for the most part. The T-6's all fly the same (since the class rules mean they're all close to identical), but there's differences between the various L39 and Pitts versions with different engines and clipped wings, and the same is true for the P-51's, since airplanes like Voodoo and Strega are something like 100kts faster than the stock airplanes around the course.

That said, there are some odd things with some of the flight models (Voodoo is impossible to get into an accelerated stall, and doesn't really slow down in turns), but overall, they're pretty good.

The racing is indeed "fly fast, turn left", but I've had fun with it so far. Since it uses identical flight models for everyone, if you get a group of decent pilots, the racing is often pretty close (I've had biplane races where 1st and 5th were 2 seconds apart), and the improved net code means that you typically don't see other airplanes jittering around.

There is a considerable amount of systems detail on some of the actual airplanes that gets left out (Voodoo and Strega have controls for ADI, but it can't be adjusted and you can't blow an engine), which I assume is because Asobo (correctly) assumes 99% of users won't want to deal with the complexity of engine management in the actual Unlimited airplanes, and since all of the files are locked out from being modified, any updates will have to come from Asobo, but I'm generally pretty happy with it.

If someone came out with a package that had 11 racing T-6s and 11 racing P-51s with varying panels and performance for $59.99, most of y'all would think it was an incredible bargain. Even forgetting the racing mode, Pitts, and jets.

I can't even see myself racing much, but for all the planes (and I do like the L-39s too) alone, it's a bargain, even if you ignore the Pitts.

I'm really surprised to see some folks here spending $30-40 on a few individual planes when for a little more they can have a huge hangar-full.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbatc View Post
    I bought one L39 for now - seems nice enough for the 10 bucks. But for people who bought the entire pack - was it worth it? I don't see myself ever flying the Pitts.
    Why not ? 'Think outside the box' every once in a while. You might be pleasantly surprised. ;-)

The P51 and T6's look a little interesting.
    A *LITTLE* interesting ??!!! My gawd, man, these are THE best T-6's and P-51's we've ever had in FS ! ( Ok, some stuff needs updates but that's not *their* fault! ;-)

Was really hoping they'd have included the Lancair Legacy and Glasairs hehe.
    Get outta here!!

Gladly payed the 60 Euri for the whole kit'n caboodle. Don't need the race stuff ( i would if it was AI we could compete with ! ) and if it was only one T-6 and one P-51 (and only one L-39) it would've still been worthwhile according to my FS book. But here we get *Multiple* variants of T-6 and P-51 with, what's even more, *Multiple* cockpit variants ! External models as well as VC's are totally breathtaking. Never seen before in FS.

Worthwhile ??? Is the pope catholic ? Do bears poop in the woods ? 'Worthwhile' just got a new meaning !

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    If

I can't even see myself racing much, but for all the planes (and I do like the L-39s too) alone, it's a bargain, even if you ignore the Pitts.

I'm really surprised to see some folks here spending $30-40 on individual planes when for a little more they can have a huge hangar-full.
    Exactly.

If I had to compare the individual airplanes to other payware, I'd say they're broadly comparable to Carenado in terms of systems complexity, but the models are substantially more detailed both inside and out, there's already been more support than Carenado usually provides, and we probably won't have these being varying levels of broken for months after sim updates.

As for the sounds, I agree that the P-51's don't sound quite right, but when you hear them fly past flown by other players, the sounds are almost identical to what I remember hearing at Reno, so it's kind of odd that the "own airplane" sounds are off.

I took the plunge, it's well worth it to just get the entire package. I haven't raced yet but saw the video of people who are, quite challenging from my take. You get a great deal of product for the price and I just dig Strega and VooDoo. Been wanting Unlimited P-51's of this quality for a long time. I'm sure all of this will see many updates & tweaks in the near future.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm sure all of this will see many updates & tweaks in the near future.
    But aren't they encrypted which means they can't be tweaked by the community?
    And there has been a lot of negative comment on flight models and accuracy...

I'll be getting the starter pack plus the P-51A, probably...but I suspect the AH Mustang and the A2A Texan (if and when) would be a much better investment than the full pack (for me).

I just bought the P-51B for now. Lovely looking model, but the flight dynamics are a bit vague although I probably need to do some trimming and the prop texture is FS9 quality at best.

After SU7, I'm experiencing a lot more prolonged stutters so feeling somewhat frustrated after the smoothness I had with SU6. As such, holding back on any bigger investments.

Nobody can answer this question for you, and there's not going to be consensus, it depends on what you're into. But the full DLC is clearly worth the coin for many of us.

Asobo made some very good decisions with respect to the airplanes. One of these is to make the planes fully featured airplanes and not just vehicles for the race module. Last night I ran a few races in P-51 Man O War, did okay and lifted my ranking a little, then switched to regular MSFS mode, jumped back in the same plane and flew it home to Camarillo. That combination of intense racing and a pleasant evening flight over photoreal mountains to a real destination was a lovely few hours and, for me, absolutely a $60 experience. I don't know if I would buy the DLC if it were a stand-alone game, but as an integrated expansion of my favorite FS, it hits the spot. Another good idea was the different cockpits and to some extent different flight models for each of the 10 planes in each class. It was very smart to include a bone-stock default plane for each class and then accurately reproduce several modernized and hotted-up ones. And the variation isn't superficial, they lavished a lot of attention on each plane and on each class. You can legitimately feel like you got 40 new planes, and obviously whether 40 new planes is worth $60 isn't even a serious question. If you are not so interested in different cockpits and performance variations and just perceive it as a bunch of skins for 4 airplanes (although I think to be fair, you would have to count the P-51s as 3 planes at a minimum since the P-51A and Voodoo/Strega are so different from the P-51Ds, and the Pitts' as at least 2 planes given the extent of mods on some of them, bringing you to 7 total truly distinct airplanes), then it becomes a closer question. If you're an eclectic virtual flyer and interested in all the categories of planes, 6 or 7 Asobo quality planes at $60 seems a fair value.

The quality of the airplanes is dead-center Asobo, consistent with the sim's stock planes. That means they are nice looking inside, okay looking outside for the most part, a bit light on systems depth and flight model fidelity, and opening canopies would be such an easy and obvious feature to implement that I have come to think that Asobo is just trolling us every time it puts out a plane without them. If you are the type who thinks nothing less than Aeroplane Heaven, A2A or Milviz level detail is worth paying for, then the entire set of planes may be worthless to you, and you should wait for good payware products for the planes you want. If you enjoy the stock planes and want these types at that quality level, they are outstanding value.

The actual race module is not everyone's cup of tea. The multiplayer racing mode really works smoothly, and they were smart to make sure that worked even if it meant leaving things like the pre-race cinematics comically unfinished and bug-ridden, which they surely are. I don't really know if it will catch on. My sense is that there are only about 3,000 total players, probably a lot fewer really active, and it is hard to find a race with more than 3 or 4 contestants most of the time. The racing has some cool effects with wake turbulence etc. but it is also quite simplified with the equalized performance and no engine management, so it may not have staying power. Air racing sims have been tried before and have died out, so this was a bit of a gamble.

August

I collect liveries & I did the $ math - deep breath, full set suited me. Not sure how long the 'discounts' will be around.
    So far I have only scratched the surface of what went into the hangar, but I am happy with the purchase as regards visuals & performance in touring flight.
    T43

Blog Entries
    After much reading on various forums, I decided to take the plunge. I figured it would help Asobo think that this was a good idea, and maybe more projects of this type will come later on. I am happy with what I got for my money. I wanted another x-country jet. The L-39 fits that to a T.

I was surprised that I liked the T-6. I didn't think I would. I never purchased the A2A T-6 of P3D days.

I haven't flown either the P-51 or Pitts yet. However, I did flip through the various models and was impressed with the different cockpit layout. Looks like there is something for everyone.

I think that if you have the $60 and don't need it to buy groceries, buy the Reno package. There has to be one or two in the mix you will like. And, figuring the average addon airplane is $30, it only takes two to get your money's worth.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

I bought the full package just so I could say (to myself) next time I'm tempted to buy another model at $30 or $40 or $50 - "Put the credit card back in your wallet, you still have 10 planes in that Reno package you haven't flown yet!"
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Looks like the question is moot ... attempted to buy in the marketplace and MSFS locks up and has to be forcibly terminated...

EDIT - 3rd try managed to get the P-51A, it looks nice but is limited in scope, probably worth the $10 but no more.
    Got to say that the $30 starter pack is enough for anyone except those who know and want ALL the Reno planes.
    Last edited by keithb77; November 23rd, 2021 at 08:17.

I regret buying the whole package. Bit of a disappointment overall, just seems too xbox gen 1 type gaming to me. If anything, the T-6 is the best of the lot, and folks are providing new non-racing liveries that look quite nice. I don't know, maybe give it more time and play??? The saying is true, "Give me one really good aircraft sim, vs. many poor ones."
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

I got the complete package. For the price there is a lot of content there. Haven't used it much, but have already used it more then the Flying Iron Spitfire, Husky, Junkers which are the only other add-ons I have bought so far.I am hoping the models get fleshed out more, but they look good and ASOBO planes are supported well.
    Major Spittle
    product of Anheuser Busch St. Louis Missouri

System Specs. Asus Prime Z590-A, 64GB DDR4 4000, RX 5700, i7 10700, MasterLiquid ML240R, Super Flower Platinum 850, Corsair Crystal 680X.

Quote Originally Posted by Twice43 View Post
    I collect liveries & I did the $ math - deep breath, full set suited me. Not sure how long the 'discounts' will be around.
    So far I have only scratched the surface of what went into the hangar, but I am happy with the purchase as regards visuals & performance in touring flight.
    T43
    Thanks everyone for replying! I just realized I'm not certain I have the SSD space for everything. Do you know how much space these take up? Also, can you choose which ones to install via Content Manager? Or are you forced to install all of them?
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    I think the whole pkg was around ~9 GB, wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
    I bought the full package just so I could say (to myself) next time I'm tempted to buy another model at $30 or $40 or $50 - "Put the credit card back in your wallet, you still have 10 planes in that Reno package you haven't flown yet!"
    LOL right there with you!

LouP

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbatc View Post
    Thanks everyone for replying! I just realized I'm not certain I have the SSD space for everything. Do you know how much space these take up? Also, can you choose which ones to install via Content Manager? Or are you forced to install all of them?
    I solved that by getting rid of P3D. Since I retired from Beta testing, I no longer need it. Since MSFS no longer has more problems than P3d, I no longer want it.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

I completely agree with much of the sentiment expressed in this thread. If you have the disc space and the cash, I think it's well worth it - even if you don't plan on racing that much. All of the 4 different types have their own unique "flavor" to them, effectively giving the package a lot more bang for the buck that it seems on the outset. Add to that the additional add-on paints that are already available, makes the overall price a bargain.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Good to read this as I ponder the purchase as well. I really wanted the P-51A and T-6s, the other thread covering these helps that decision. I've already outdone myself on the jet trainer category by having both Hawks, but still like L-39s. Funny, I told myself I would slowly ease into MSFS!
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

I just purchased the full version myself, what pushed me to buy was that there is at least one close to stock aircraft for each of the types along with all the racers and nobody confirmed there was a discount if you purchased the 20$ version. I have not tried it yet but hope to do so over the holiday weekend.

BTW, for each AC type, does anybody know which ones are the stock aircraft?
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

The stock or default planes are the ones that show up without any specific name, like just "P-51 Mustang" and so on. They are also the ones that have several liveries included, all just different color variations on the same fictional (and ugly) paint scheme. They're pretty easy to spot, either in your hangar in the main game, or in the selector in the race module where they are the first option.

On the other thread on this DLC, I posted some images yesterday that index the different cockpits available in the different planes.

have fun!

August

I ran Strega (Unlimited) on the time trial, my first attempt was a little over 8 minutes for the 8 laps. I placed 201 in the world field for that time trial. The best time was around 7:52. Actually, this package is quite awesome & fun if you use it with the online race lobby.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

love the full reno package so far I have victories in all classes most in Biplane Class

Members who have read this thread: 0