Br2 p-51d

Thread: Br2 p-51d

Br2 p-51d

It has been a while since I have had this aircraft installed, but for some reason, I can;t get the VC to work. I see the entry within the panel.cfg, but the gauges doesn't seem to appear/move within the sim for the VC.

Can we have a new rule? It is simple. Link to any aircraft, object .etc that you are having a problem with. The search function for the library is't good.

Example:
    Attachment 85243
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

As it is the Br2 p-51d, I assume the BR stand for Bruno Duffort. Based on which I think it is the P-51 D by Pascal Auterive and and Bruno Duffort which can be found on the "Free Flight Site" which is hosted here at the Sim-Outhouse.

This model can be found here: The Free Flight Site, The Knifemakers Aircraft Collection (sim-outhouse.com)

And I think Allen's idea to post a link is very useful.

Cheers,
    Huub

Icon22 Reply...

Good morning,

Here is the direct link: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/freeflight/BR_P51D_CFS.zip
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    Good morning,

Here is the direct link: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/freeflight/BR_P51D_CFS.zip
    Yep! Thanks Rami, that’s the one. And great suggestion Allen. I’ll be sure to keep that in mind for the future. I agree with that the search function isn’t helpful from time to time.

Okay. The model dose have the needed part for a working VC but it looks like the [Vcockpit01] is from the CFS1 P-51D and doesn't work with the model. Dumping the model as obj or .3ds now so I can get the UV mapping of the flat plane used for the VC gauges.

Edit:
    Here you go.
    BR2 P51D VC Fix.zip

Thank you Allen! The fix works like a charm. I am curious, how did you do that?

I converted the model to a .bgl so I could look at the model in Model Converter X to see if the model had a 3d plane for VC gauges (it is the checker board).

Attachment 85289

Got the name from the material editor. Parts made to put gauges on start with "$". Exported the model as .obj than used some Blender magic to do texture baking (transfer of a texture from one part onto another) This is how I made the $VCpan.bmp to use later with CfgEdit (panel editor).

In the panel.cfg I found texture=$VCpan in the [Vcockpit01] and changed it to $VCMAIN so the gauges are placed on the model. Added file=$VCpan.bmp and did some changes other changes to the [Vcockpit01].

Now in CfgEdit $VCpan.bmp is used as template to place gauges on. Once gauges are placed, save and check in CFS2. Edit gauges if needed.

Hi Allen,

Any chance you could do some magic on BR2 P38L5 available at the same page ?

Question : I have been considering painting this P-51 or the P-38L5, mapping are brilliant and would allow for precise details. However, MDL format are too old to be read and tweaked using MDLMAT. Would it be possible to make them "MDLMAT-proof" by converting them through Model Converter X ?

Best
    L'iguane

For the P-38 I had to search the mdl with a hex editor as the model was broken when l loaded it into Model Converter X but I did fine flat 3d plane for placing gauges on.

Open the panel.cfg and go to the [Vcockpit01] section and change texture=$P38F to texture=$VCDISP. Add file=VCPan.bmp as well. Now go to the texture folder and copy the VCPan.bmp and paste it into the panel folder.

Grab and run CfgEdit http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...49&linkid=6212 Set it up so it can see CFS2 gauges if you have never installed it. Once done open the BR2_P38L-5 panel.cfg. than go to Window Vcockpit01. This should look like large stock CFS2 P-38 gauges and behind them should be the image of VCPan.bmp.

At this point delete the stock CFS2 P-38 gauges and start adding new ones. Once done save and check CFS2.

Model Converter X can't fix things like that. Well it can't fix just about anything for FS04 and older as all updates to MCX has been done for FSX based things.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    For the P-38 I had to search the mdl with a hex editor as the model was broken when l loaded it into Model Converter X but I did fine flat 3d plane for placing gauges on.

Open the panel.cfg and go to the [Vcockpit01] section and change texture=$P38F to texture=$VCDISP. Add file=VCPan.bmp as well. Now go to the texture folder and copy the VCPan.bmp and paste it into the panel folder.

Grab and run CfgEdit http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...49&linkid=6212 Set it up so it can see CFS2 gauges if you have never installed it. Once done open the BR2_P38L-5 panel.cfg. than go to Window Vcockpit01. This should look like large stock CFS2 P-38 gauges and behind them should be the image of VCPan.bmp.

At this point delete the stock CFS2 P-38 gauges and start adding new ones. Once done save and check CFS2.

Model Converter X can't fix things like that. Well it can't fix just about anything for FS04 and older as all updates to MCX has been done for FSX based things.

Thank you very much for these info, will give a try.
    By any chance, as unsuccessful with MDLMAT, would it be possible to give the mdl. some speculare shine and make it reflective through Ivan Hsu CFS2/FS8/FS9 converter ? That would be awesome !
    I'm running a 64bit rig and I have not succeeded so far to emulate to make a 32bit application run.

That P-38 texture mapping is the best amongst freeware and I'd love to give it a try. Haven't started yet due to limitations quoted above

Cheers
    L'iguane

MDLC.exe it self is a 16bit program (DOS 16bit I think) and doesn't work on Win 7 and above natively. The most common way to use mdlc now is by DOSBox (RIP the Mk MDLC GUI) I set up this package to run mdlc in DOSBox http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...9&linkid=25224

Download the package and drop the DOSMdlc 2.0 folder into your main C: drive. than start DOSBox Shine and follow what it says.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    MDLC.exe it self is a 16bit program (DOS 16bit I think) and doesn't work on Win 7 and above natively. The most common way to use mdlc now is by DOSBox (RIP the Mk MDLC GUI) I set up this package to run mdlc in DOSBox http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...9&linkid=25224

Download the package and drop the DOSMdlc 2.0 folder into your main C: drive. than start DOSBox Shine and follow what it says.
    Hello Allen,

Working fine now ! I was able to turn mdl's project into reflective ones. Worked well on some mdls and getting some weird stuff with others :

One weird stuff I haven't a clue about is the BR2 P-38 (cfs2) model and R Laborie M2000D (fs9)
    Using the MDLC command line to turn them reflective, I'm getting this message for the P38 :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P38.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	86868
    And this for the M2000D :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m2000d.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	86869

I can send you these 2 mdls if you would like to take a loo at it ?
    Thanks!

L'iguane

I have no idea. I didn't write MDLC. I just made it work on Win7 and above.

Members who have read this thread: 0