Sim skunk works tf-104 g released - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sim skunk works tf-104 g released

I've asked for advice on the blue (colorblind, always fun..) and this is the result:
    nl006 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

nl005 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

nl003 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

nl001 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

better?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

the weather is not so good today, here in Belgium
    jk11286 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

but with a bit of afterburner
    jk11289 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

it gets a lot better very quickly
    jk11293 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk11300 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    I've asked for advice on the blue (colorblind, always fun..) and this is the result:
    better?
    You first attempt was better, judging on the photo's available on the web. Maybe a mixture of the two? The last is a bit too blue. Maybe a bit paler?

Marcel

PS
    Big contrast on the pictures on the web:
    http://nabe3saviation.web.fc2.com/images/aFSu-501.jpg
    https://www.flickriver.com/photos/keith_burton/50511896628/
    https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/a...6790-large.jpg
    https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/a...6363-large.jpg

nice paint schemes. it would be great if we can also get a low-viz late model italian pain scheme.
    i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win10 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | P3D DCS MFS

Quote Originally Posted by ZsoltB View Post

Ohhh, that brings back nice memories of putting together the Hasegawa 1/32 JASDF F-104J model trying the best way to apply a bare metal finish ( later on i used aluminium folie (aluminum foil) together with special alu foil glue and a toothpick. Undoubtedly the best way ! ;-)

Lovely! Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post

better?

I'd try a transparent layer of solid darkish green over your blue, Jan Kees. Or shove your blue hue up to the greenish area just a tad. Personally i can deffinately see a bit of green in the blue color particularly in this photo of N104NL. ( also check it with the blue sky up above..)

Wonderful job nontheless !

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Ohhh, that brings back nice memories of putting together the Hasegawa 1/32 JASDF F-104J model trying the best way to apply a bare metal finish ( later on i used aluminium folie (aluminum foil) together with special alu foil glue and a toothpick. Undoubtedly the best way ! ;-)

Lovely! Thanks !
    I saw this method on youtube
    I'm scale modeling too
    What is foil glue name?

Regards,
    Zsolt
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

In my plasticmodel days i had to go to London ( i am in the Netherlands, no internet then, just modeling hobby magazines.. ;-) to buy a few bottles. It is called 'Microscale Metal Foil Adhesive'. You can buy it anywhere these days. F.i. at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Microscale-In.../dp/B0006O0294

The trick is to have a model with indented panel lining. Do one panel at the time.( the foil wrinkles easily). When ready remove excess foil by pulling a sharp scalpel dipped in turpentine thru the panellines. Smooth out with cotton swap and toothpick.

Good Luck!

jk11374 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk11376 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk11393 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

This is definitely on the purchase list after Christmas! (Flying and flying helmets are expensive!) On a totally non-flight sim related topic, your talk about covering models in foil made me think of this topic. You guys might find this thread interesting:

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/i...-xive-race-80/

Tf-104 g version 2.0 released

AVAILABLE AT SIM MARKET, SOON at OTHER PUBLISHERS:

==============================
    - VERSION 2.0.0 RELEASE NOTES
    ==============================
    BUG FIXES
    - Fixed Aileron/Rudder limiters not working properly
    - Fixed sound bug when flaps are operated
    - Fixed kohlsmann setting misalignment
    - Fixed navigation lights weakness
    - Fixed boundary layer doors not operating properly
    - Fixed dragchute dimensions, now is 18' as it should be
    - Fixed flaps doll's eyes at night
    - Fixed LN3 platform alignement procedure, now green light blinks when aligned
    - Fixed CIT wrong indication under some conditions
    - Fixed pilots dimensions
    - Fixed pilot seat flickering at night
    - Fixed canopy glass dirtness
    - Fixed afterburner "rumbling" missing in cockpit
    - Fixed cabin pressure gauge not working
    - Fixed missing air fresh scoop lever
    - Fixed nose/main landing gear tires rotation missing under some circumstances
    - Fixed APC reading
    - Fixed a hole behind windshield
    - Fixed a dragchute bug that prevented to work properly
    - Fixed asymmetric aileron inputs
    - Fixed radar range switch not working properly
    - Fixed instruments lights not working properly
    - Fixed parking brake auto enabling, no more park brake
    - Fixed flaps bug, increased the drag at LAND position
    - Fixed a shutdown bug preventing power cut undersome circumstances

NEW/CHANGED FEATURES
    - Afterburner natively implemented also in physical engine model
    - Engine smoke added
    - Wing tips ribbon added
    - Engine and flight model completely reviewed
    - More liveries added
    - Navigation lights implemented in 3D, steady, flash, dim e steady
    - Parking brakes are automatically set only when chocks and wing protections are present,
    in other cases are disabled.
    - Dragchute cannot be auto-dropped anymore
    - Engine shutdown available with sim event "ENGINE AUTO SHUTDOWN" and FUEL SHUT OFF only
    other procedures (ie: THROTTLE CUT, etc. ) are not supported
    http://www.simskunkworks.com/store/images/ssw_sig.png

Bumping as the two-week stickie expires...
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

just got v2 from orbx. looks like changes are mainly good but here are the issues:

1. in VR, going from cockpit to outside view and back to cockpit, the VC pilot figures occupy both seats. only way to get rid of the figures is by getting out of VR and back in.
    2. external position lights are not casting bounce on ground or aircraft surfaces, what we had before seemed better
    3. wish the asobo fa18e pilot figure can be selected, it's a high def model that should look great in the f104
    i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win10 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | P3D DCS MFS

Lovely! Thanks !
    Was that the model that included the engine? You could remove the tail section/rear fuselage to see it.

I've uploaded the Spanish and Belgian bare metal textures

jk174 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk11382 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

-NOTAM-
    For an accurate and quick response,please be patient to contact us at:
    help-desk@simskunkworks.it ,stating your order number and purchase indications.
    As you can see,we cannot follow promptly all your precious indications and suggestions,and we don’t want the risk to loose any message.
    Social forums for these kind of indications are surely practical for customers,but are a bit of pain for developers,since we can’t follow all the forums related to simulation.
    We surely be here for suggestions and requests,but for bug-tracking is a proper way to write it on the help desk way.
    Thanks all,
    /SSW staff

v2 is up at JustFlight (though they haven't updated the upload date yet so it looks like the old version).

All very nice ... except for the widely reported VR 'camera in pilot's head' bug which is a bit of a killer

Quote Originally Posted by kdfw View Post
    3) pilot figures: allow use of asobo's fa18e figures.
    3. wish the asobo fa18e pilot figure can be selected, it's a high def model that should look great in the f104
    Certainly now that we have the v2.0 pilots for the SSW TF-104 there are atleast 2 reasons why you would maybe like to reconsider.

#1. The F-18 pilot figure wears flightgear of the 2000 decennium while the F-104 was operational in the USAF from 1958 until 1967 (Cold War) and NATO's default fighter-bomber from 1961 until 1985 when it was replaced by the F-16.

#2. Obviously SSW *could* have decided to put the wrong era default MSFS militairy pilot figure into their superb TF-104 but they didn't. Instead they chose to put an effort in it and design their own pilot figure conform the F-104's correct operational era. It would be kind of condecending to just throw that into the garbage bin, wouldn't it...

The SSW helmets and O2 masks are clearly of the correct HGU-2A/P and MBU-12/P types (ahem SSW....you *did* forget the microphone wire rolled around the O2 hose.... just kidding.. ;-). The default F-18 pilot is equipped with what looks like a regular Gentex HGU-66/P flight helmet and MBU-23/P O2 mask from the 90's up to current. Besides that one could ponder about the fact that the MSFS fighterpilot figure is supposed to represent a Navy/Marines pilot rather than a USAF/Nato pilot ( Nitpicking ?... Going too far ?.... I suppose so.... ;-)

(to my defence, would anybody buy the superb SSW TF-104 model *without* pilot figures in the external view ?... )

I could go on and on, ramble, ramble (pilot flightgear = hobbyhorse, dunno why..;-) but i won't.

( Ok then, one more for the road: It is a miracle to me why FS militairy aircraft devs think a pilot straps him/herself in in the cockpit and only *then* puts on his/her life preserver vest, obviously helped by his/her mechanic..... You wouldn't want to know what'll happen when the time comes for this pilot to actually have to bail out and use the ejection seat...

I.e. de Ejection Seat Straps should always be the TOP straps. We can see this strange phenomenon f.i. both with the default F-18 and SSW F-104 pilots. Why oh Why ?...

We can also observe with some of the 30's and 40's era militairy pilot figures that, for some mysterious reason, goggle straps run *through* the headphone covers instead of over it.... Easier to apply ?... No doubt. Again, nitpicking,.? rivet counting..? No doubt ;-)

Well done SSW re your new TF-104 pilot figure dimensions ! :

Default MSFS fighterpilot figure does look good !

IMHO Deffinately not fit to fly the SSW TF-104.

This concludes my small lecture (ahem..) regarding FS pilot figures (no, it doesn't really... )
    Last edited by Javis; December 7th, 2021 at 19:58.

Certainly now that we have the v2.0 pilots for the SSW TF-104 there are atleast 2 reasons why you would maybe like to reconsider.

#1. The F-18 pilot figure wears flightgear of the 2000 decennium while the F-104 was operational in the USAF from 1958 until 1967 (Cold War) and NATO's default fighter-bomber from 1961 until 1985 when it was replaced by the F-16.

#2. Obviously SSW *could* have decided to put the wrong era default MSFS fighterpilots into their superb TF-104 but they didn't. Instead they chose to put an effort in it and design their own pilot figure conform the F-104's correct operational era. It would be kind of condecending to just throw that into the garbage bin, wouldn't it...

The SSW helmets and O2 masks are clearly of the correct HGU-2A/P and MBU-12/P types (ahem SSW....you *did* forget the microphone wire rolled around the O2 hose.... just kidding.. ;-). The default F-18 pilot is equipped with what looks like a regular Gentex HGU-66/P flight helmet and MBU-23/P O2 mask from the 90's up to current. Besides that one could ponder about the fact that the MSFS fighterpilot figure is supposed to represent a Navy/Marines pilot rather than a USAF/Nato pilot ( Nitpicking ?... Going too far ?.... I suppose so.... ;-)

I could go on and on, ramble, ramble (pilot flightgear = hobbyhorse, dunno why..;-) but i won't.

( Ok then, one more for the road: It is a miracle to me why FS militairy aircraft devs think a pilot straps him/herself in in the cockpit and only *then* puts on his/her life preserver vest, obviously helped by his/her mechanic..... You wouldn't want to know what'll happen when the time comes for this pilot to actually have to bail out and use the ejection seat... ( i.e. de Ejection Seat Straps should always be the TOP straps ). We can see this strange phenomenon f.i. both with the default F-18 and SSW F-104 pilots. Why oh Why ?...

We can also observe with some of the 30's and 40's era fighterpilot figures that, for some mysterious reason, goggle straps run *through* the headphone covers instead of over it.... )

Well done SSW re your new TF-104 pilot figure dimensions ! :

Default MSFS fighterpilot figure does look good !

IMHO Deffinately not fit to fly the SSW TF-104.

This concludes my lecture (ahem..) regarding FS pilot figures (no, it doesn't really... )

i know what you're saying, but the airplane is flying in a virtual world circa ~2020, not 1960s world so if one is flying the f104 today, the gear would be the modern hgus.

so to accommodate period correct simmers, the old pilots can be selected, for those who want to fly as today's pilot, new pilot should be selectable (which can be configured in mfs2020 via avatar selection option).

all skw has to do is to set the attach points of either pilot models to be placed in the cockpit, eazy peazy!

i know what you're saying, but the airplane is flying in a virtual world circa ~2020, not 1960s world so if one is flying the f104 today, the gear would be the modern hgus.
    Ok, i see what you mean, ones mileage may vary, De gustibus non est disputandum and all that. Sure.

Personally, i value the aircraft we're virtually flying as THE most important. 'The world', although as astonishing looking as we've come to know and enjoy these days, comes second as far as i'm concerned. I could never ever be happy to virtually fly, say, a Lancaster or B-17 in MSFS while seeing the pilots inside the cockpit wearing todays' Gentex MACH system flight helmets ! Even the thought of it makes my hair fall out (and that's a pity because there's not much left anyway.. )

A P-51 pilot wearing a HGU-55 ?.... Hmmm, i think i could live with that but i'd vote for him to wear a complete WWII era flightgear outfit anytime ! It very much belongs to that type of aircraft and makes it even more historically correct. It adds to the fascination we have of aircraft from the various different era's of aviation (atleast that's how i look at it. Your mileage may indeed vary..;-)

I saw a screenie here the other day of Dave's beautiful Dragon Rapide with the default MSFS militairy pilot inside the cockpit ! Wow!! I certainly hope that this is not the future of our precious virtual flying world. That looked particularly disturbing and out of this virtual world !

Btw, what exactly don't you like about the SSW TF-104 pilot figure v2.0 ?..Very well done, don't you think ?..

Members who have read this thread: 110