currently in the workshop(s)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: currently in the workshop(s)

currently in the workshop(s)

Numerous varieties of PBY ...

Dutch (MLD) using Shessi's Catalina mkI

It seems they used GB ordnance, but also 100 & 300kg bombs. Does anyone know if these were the WW1 PuW style weapons, or a later shape? All I've found is a single b & w photo from a Dutch East Indies factory showing it's range of munitions, & there just seems to be a vaguely PuW shaped 200kg bomb on the display, all the rest are artillery shells...

I've revised the airfile & am working on a panel.cfg that uses metric instruments, but the DP file needs some ordnance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shessi_CatMkI_MLD_DEC41b.jpg   Shessi_CatmkI_MLD_JAN42a.jpg   shessi_CatmkI_MLD_MAR42a.jpg  

Lots of ASW ordnance to hang off the PBY wings...

All are multi-LOD & configured like DBolt & Allens weapons so they hang from the same mount locations (important because of the 24 hardpoint limit)

US Depth Bombs, both 650lb & 325lb ranges
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails US_mk29_depthbomb_UT.jpg   US_mk37_depthbomb_UT.jpg   US_mk41_depthbomb_UT.jpg   US_mk17_depthbomb_UT.jpg  

Some GB depthcharges

the 450lb mkVII, & the 250lb mkVIII
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WEP_GB_mkVIII250lbDC_UT_tail.jpg   WEP_GB_mkVII450lbDC_UT2.jpg   WEP_GB_mkVII450lbDC_UT3.jpg   WEP_GB_mkVIII250lbDC_UT.jpg  

Later on in the war RAAF PBYs were used for long-range minelaying missions, so we have a range of UK & US mine types to deploy ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GB_mkVI_mine_UT_a.jpg   GB_mkV_mine_UT_b.jpg   GB_mkIX_mine_UT_a.jpg   GB_mkI_mine_UT_b.jpg   US_mk25_mine_UT_a.jpg   US_mk13_mine_UT.jpg  

In May 1943 the first acoustic homing torpedo, mk24 FIDO achieved it's first kill of Iceland.

These screengrabs use Shessi's Canso A as the launch vehicle, so the fuselage mounted radar is not typical, but it's the best amphibious PBY-5A we have ....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails US_mk24_FIDO_UT_a.jpg   shessi_Canso_A_PBY5A_VP84_FIDO_UTa.jpg   shessi_Canso_A_PBY5A_VP84_FIDO_UTf.jpg  

& lastly my scenery work continues. I've now finished extending west from Buna/Milne Bay to Port Moresby, & have "flown" the rivers to better match the LOD 8 mesh ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PortMoresby2Kokoda-done.jpg   approaching_portMoresby_from the SE.jpg   astrolabe range SE of PortMoresby.jpg  

This screengrab shows the entire range, from Port Moresby to Kokoda, Buna, Dobodura & East to Milne Bay, then the Trobriand Islands & Muyua(Woodlark).

Approximately 650km across

The Port Moresby - Kokoda section still requires some landclass, GSL & airbase tweaking, so it may be a little while yet ...

So, what are you working on?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PortMoresby-Dobodura-Buna-MilneBay-Trobriand-Muyua.jpg  

Beautiful bombs!

Great work UT, fantastic detail and ML as well, (must do a basic 5A!), really like them.

As for Dutch bombs, I would ask Huub to take a look, as he may know or be able to search in the NL better.

Good to see real quality being put into CFS2

Cheers

Shessi

ps Will post a few things I'm working on....

Library Staff
    Wow! This is a pretty hard act to follow John. Great work!

I should have some new landmarks for Great Britain arriving on the scene fairly soon.

Cheers,

Kevin

Mark,

Thanks for the nice comments. I have always liked the PStrany put together his Hudson bomb models, so I'm trying to adopt a similar structure in how I texture & model my weapon bgls, imitation being the best form of flattery 'n all

I really liked the PBY series of upgrades you did, it's a shame that none of them seemed to inspire any repaints etc.

Good idea about asking Huub about Dutch weapons, I'll do that.

Very nice work UncleTgt. So many simultaneous projects - I don't know how you keep them going straight.

I work one project at a time so I don't get lost. The joke is has a lot of truth - The second thing to go in old age is the memory. I wish I could remember what the first thing is.

This is my current project.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSW.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	84563
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

UncleTgt I'm too much an air force man and too much focused on the European Theatre of war to immediately answer your question. I have written what I know and what seems to be the most logical in a PM.

In short for various reasons I think the same ordnance as the British was used. I think the (WW-I type) bombs you saw on the picture could have been used on the Martin B10.

As I said in my PM I have very knowledgeable friends, who will be able to answer your question.

@ Captain Kurt, looking forward to your new project (Siemens-Schuckert D.III when I'm correct).

Cheers,
    Huub

Huub

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

I also recall also recall stories of US B17s loading Dutch 300kg bombs during the desperate defence of Java.

300kgs isn't a weight used by the UK or US, so it must have been a local design?

The WW1 PuW bombs we have are quite large + long, it must have been a struggle to get these up into the bomb bay of a B17!

UncleTgt,

To be honest I'm not much of a virtual pilot , but I love to sort things out and mod my sims and skin aircraft I will hardly fly. So by asking me to dive into this you only did me a favour!

The typical bomb loads for the Dutch Glenn Martins 139 (B-10) were 2 x 500 kg bombs or 3 x 300 kg bombs. In a research paper from the Royal Military Academy a counter air operation, which lasted from 18 until 27 February 1942 by the Royal Air Force, Royal Australian Air Force and Royal Netherlands East Indies Air Force is described. During this operation the Glenn Martins were flown in a 3 aircraft formation and all loaded with 3 bombs of 300 kg. The typical bomb load on the Glenn Martin is confirmed by a paper on bomb aiming devices used by the Dutch Navy. (BTW I had never realised Carl L. Norden was a Dutchman, born in the Netherlands Dutch Indies, who emigrated to the US after his study).

The use of the Catalinas is described in the research paper as well, but they mainly flew reconnaissance missions. However on the 22nd an 23rd of February magnetic mines were dropped in the Street of Banka and the Musi estruarium. This was done by the Catalinas from the Dutch Navy and they flew in pairs. There is nothing mentioned about bombs on the Catalinas.

I have been reading another paper about the Battle for the Tjiater pass, but there isn't anything mentioned about the use of Catalinas.

And I regret to say, but so far I still haven't been able to find a picture from an early war Dutch 300kg bomb.

Cheers,
    Huub

I hear you Huub!

I seem to spend all my time on mods or paints for this old sim, & almost no time actually flying missions in it

But it's a great hobby "sandbox" for me, & l also enjoy the research aspect too.

Its nice to shine a light on some of the lesser known aspects of the various air wars of WW2, before they pass completely into "ancient" history & folklore ...

Nice details on the Martin B10's. My main reference for British ordnance had been a single comment in a campaign narrative suggesting the PBYs never had 50 cals in the waist & were fitted similar to the RAF's Catalina mkI, & a separate NEI narrative about the Java campaign suggesting widespread use of British ordnance, supported by a single photo of a B10 being bombed up with British Buff 250lb bombs...

My research regarding Dutch ASW weapons or aerial mines also came up blank. It seems the MLD had no anti-sub bombs or aerial DCs, nor had they developed an aerial mine by the time the Germans invaded.

So the PBYs being used for minelaying must have carried GB MkI or US Mk10 or (more likely) Mk12 mines. I know the US dumped mk12 magnetic mines into deep water off the Philippines to prevent them falling into Japanese hands, so maybe the MLD PBYs operating in the Philippines were able to make use of some of these weapons after all?
    Last edited by UncleTgt; October 7th, 2021 at 01:16. Reason: expand on comments

For those interested in early Pacific War heavy bomber operations, check out The Java Gold's Blog | Follow the birth of a novel and a novelists journey through background information on the Pacific War (wordpress.com)

Lot's of details to inspire some "different" PTO missions ...

And here it is the Dutch 300 kilogram bomb. This picture was hidden somewhere in the dungeons of the Dutch National Institute of Military History.

I expect the people next to the bomb are roughly 1.60 m tall this makes the bomb over 1.80 m in length.

Cheers,
    Huub

UT,
    Take a look at this page, 50kg bombs being dropped pic, but a Dornier manufacturers load-out information plate, which shows 4 x 300kg bombs, and confirms the carrying capacity.

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.p...ts-in-uk-tree/

I may have seen French inter-war aircraft bombs with those cutdown tail fins in Huub's pic?

Cheers

Shessi

Huub,

Thanks for the pic. It looks like a fatter version of the WW1 PuW series. It must have been a bitch for the ground crew to handle.

Shessi

Good find hidden amongst the Do24K info. It's interesting that the shape looks similar to the US Army modified Mark series bombs of the 1930's. The US decided these were unsuitable for war use & relegated them to only use for training.

... and different sized pylons, how complicated is that!

Hmm, I think I need to dig out your Do24K again, looks like another couple of projects for my list

Thanks to inputs Huub & Shessi , I was able to mock up a reasonable impression of some Dutch bombs ...

The PuW design 300kg bomb, used by USAAF B17s during the struggle for Java.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dutch_300kg_UTb.jpg   Shessi_B17D+Dutch_300kg_UTc.jpg   Dutch_300kg_UTa.jpg  

... and extrapolating from info I had on the US Army modified Mark series of bombs, & a nice description of the development of Polish bombs pre-WW2 (see www.emmasplanes.com), I went on to develop the Dutch VMNo2 series of naval bombs.

I'm not saying these are accurate models, but the size & shape are visually close to the (few) photos, so I think they'll do.

All multi-LOD of course ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dutch_200kgVMNo2_UT.jpg   Dutch_100kgVMNo2_UT.jpg   Dutch_50kgVMNo2_UT.jpg  

So that got me thinking about my projects that are currently "on hold".

I posted some screengrabs of Nebelwerfers firing in the screenshots thread. I think this effect could be used for Katyushas too - but no response or comment, so the Werfer model is on hold.

The werfer needed a tractor, so I started to raid some of the texture mods I did for "Combat MIssion, Barbarossa to Berlin", & tried them out on a few simple vehicle models - this sdkfz7 for example ...

I never liked how the SBX troops became grey sticks almost immediately, so I worked out how to reconstruct the LOD models better. In doing so I was able to improve the textures & mapping.
    That lead me to experiment with changing out weapons & headgear, so I found I could develop German & Australian troops from the same basic model range... several appearances in screenshots but little interest shown, so they're on hold too.

So I guess my conclusion is - get involved in the discussions if you want to see a project progress
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails werfer_firing_UT.jpg   sdkfz7_grau_UT2.jpg   sdkfz7_gelb_UT.jpg   SBX_AUS_LMG_adv_UT.jpg   SBX_AUS_mmortar_UT.jpg   SBX_JAP_rifle_adv.jpg  

SBX_JAP_flagbearer.jpg   SBX_GER_SMG_adv.jpg  

Library Staff
    Hi John,

I welcome everything you do for this sim.

As you're currently working on New Guinea, my preference is for objects related to that theatre. Thank you for the Aussie troops - perhaps a few of them could be wearing shorts or tin hats. Here's a picture of my dad at Milne Bay.

Cheers,
    Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 026 Tom Driver.jpg  

Crackin' photo Kev

I think short sleeves & shorts might be beyond me still, but I'm sure I could knock up a tin helmet for some variety.

The beauty of the SBX originals is that texture repaints can change the appearance - I'm sure it's possible with just a change of headgear to make reasonable represntations of all the major combatants, so it's possible to develop MTO Italians, WW1 Poles & Frenchmen, you get the idea ...

Just need time & enough interest to hold my attention.

Don't worry, GMax work is only when I get tired of directing the dozers between Port Moresby & Kokoda ... The land & water class is now done, so it's time to get building/revising some airstrips/landing grounds...

I am interested in the ground figures. You know there are no US Army models either
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Members who have read this thread: 0