Sim Update 7 Release Notes - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sim Update 7 Release Notes

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    I was thinking of giving this game another try after months, but now my 240Gb SSD is not large enough to install this thing... oh well....
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Edited: JS was OK, I couldn't figure out how to get rid of the HUD. I finally figured it out since it was moved. Now I have to set up the AB, Launch Bar (i.e. - the new features).
    Last edited by Sundog; November 20th, 2021 at 16:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    I was thinking of giving this game another try after months, but now my 240Gb SSD is not large enough to install this thing... oh well....
    The core files and mid-level "Deluxe" package combine on my system sum up to about 173GB, but even my half-TB drive is about 3/4 full. I'm considering buying and cloning my current OS drive to a 1TB M.2 drive.

Edit: If you have a second drive, you can specify a custom install path. There is a 1.13GB block that installs deep in the C: drive, but the rest can go wherever you want. Just research the pros and cons of using a custom install path.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

YoYo, for sure a great, great, frame killer. Did some tests and I´m not going to use DX12. Will wait ti they manage to fix this...

Install went free of hassles but now whenever I launch the game it reverts back to default assistance options, means all the shadderack is always on. Scenery is full of stickers and my display is cluttered with zillions of popups.
    I allready deleted the rolling cage. just in case. Is there some known trick to convince FS to stick with my settings?

TrackIR is often not recognized at all or stops working during a session.
    Only way to get it back is by going back to the hangar, going to controller settings and highlighting the TrackIR tab once.
    opening the tab from within a flight does nothing.
    Mathias

I also had a problem getting the sim to 'remember' my settings. I went to my AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8 wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache folder and deleted the Content.xml and ROLLINGCACHE.CCC files, then launched the sim (which builds new content and rollingcache files), made my changes to the settings and saved them before re-launching the sim.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Install went free of hassles but now whenever I launch the game it reverts back to default assistance options, means all the shadderack is always on. Scenery is full of stickers and my display is cluttered with zillions of popups.
    I allready deleted the rolling cage. just in case. Is there some known trick to convince FS to stick with my settings?

TrackIR is often not recognized at all or stops working during a session.
    Only way to get it back is by going back to the hangar, going to controller settings and highlighting the TrackIR tab once.
    opening the tab from within a flight does nothing.
    TrackIR now seems programmed to switch off whenever there is a momentary interruption in the tracking, like whenever the sensors get confused by some stray reflection for a second, or whenever you turn your head enough that the sensor can't see one of the reflectors. It also switches off whenever you use the "Pause" TrackIR command, and resets the view to default. The latter is especially annoying because you can no longer use TrackIR to take a screenshot by freezing your head position using Pause; MSFS will reset it. Nobody was asking for these "features" and I can't understand why MSFS added them.

I don't think you need to quit the sim to get it back, though. I have always been able to turn TrackIR back on by either using the TrackIR toggle switch in the Cameras toolbar or by mapping a key/button to the new "Toggle TrackIR" command. It's mostly just a hassle that requires extra command inputs for no reason.

August

So basically what I'm reading, is that they're pushing Win11/DX12, despite it being far from optimized and performs worse for many. And the update resets everyone's settings for no reason. I truly dont understand the mindset of the dev. It was on track to be a great sim, but the addition of the console garbage, has turned it into a frustrating piece of software that is not the next generation sim it was hoped to be.
    I pass gas!

Quote Originally Posted by ST0RM View Post
    So basically what I'm reading, is that they're pushing Win11/DX12, despite it being far from optimized and performs worse for many. And the update resets everyone's settings for no reason. I truly dont understand the mindset of the dev. It was on track to be a great sim, but the addition of the console garbage, has turned it into a frustrating piece of software that is not the next generation sim it was hoped to be.
    Let's not exaggerate.
    They are not pushing Windows11, nor are they pushing DX12.
    You don't need Windows 11 to play MSFS.
    You don't need to activate the new DirectX12 option either. The game will work just as before in DX11 mode on your Windows 10.

The devs are simply implementing DirectX12 support in the sim, but they couldn't do it at once so they had to go small steps at a time instead. We just got the first step. The game can run DX12 although it doesn't get very nice performance for now. Third parties can however already spot the problems with their planes/sceneries, and they can start to fix them so that they get compatible with DX12.

In future patches/updates, the DX12 support will continue to be improved by the devs. Again, I think we have to expect it will take several iterations (steps) before it reaches a satisfactory status. Also, we should keep in mind DX12 is more demanding on the video card. My old GTX1070ti won't be up to the task, so I'll probably have to stick with DX11-mode for the time being, just like many others.

Yes, for months now the developers have stated DX12 implementation is very early and you should not expect any performance increase yet and that it will likely have a negative impact on performance. It clearly says in-game that DX12 is still in beta.

I can only speak for myself, but none of my controls or graphics settings were reset. They reconfigured some of the accessibility options and those reset, but it took what, 3 clicks to reset the changes back to what I prefer.

No idea what consoles have to do with anything, don't see how that version of the game is related to any of this but alright.

just like ak416 "I can only speak for myself, but none of my controls or graphics settings were reset". About DX12 it´s not good at least in my machine, a 50% drop in FPS but it´s a beta. Sure they will make a better version. Meanwhile good old DX11. What I miss are manuals...What I like is the mod I found on flightsim.to

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2021.11.21 - 15.48.08.12.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	3.80 MB 
ID:	85235Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2021.11.21 - 15.48.58.60.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	4.02 MB 
ID:	85236

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    I also had a problem getting the sim to 'remember' my settings. I went to my AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8 wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache folder and deleted the Content.xml and ROLLINGCACHE.CCC files, then launched the sim (which builds new content and rollingcache files), made my changes to the settings and saved them before re-launching the sim.
    Thanks Tiger, but that doesn't work. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    TrackIR now seems programmed to switch off whenever there is a momentary interruption in the tracking, like whenever the sensors get confused by some stray reflection for a second, or whenever you turn your head enough that the sensor can't see one of the reflectors. It also switches off whenever you use the "Pause" TrackIR command, and resets the view to default. The latter is especially annoying because you can no longer use TrackIR to take a screenshot by freezing your head position using Pause; MSFS will reset it. Nobody was asking for these "features" and I can't understand why MSFS added them.

I don't think you need to quit the sim to get it back, though. I have always been able to turn TrackIR back on by either using the TrackIR toggle switch in the Cameras toolbar or by mapping a key/button to the new "Toggle TrackIR" command. It's mostly just a hassle that requires extra command inputs for no reason.

August
    The TrackIR keys do nothing once it's off. I don't have to quit the Sim, just end the flight, go back to the hangar and start the options menu from there.
    Mathias

Thanks Tiger, but that doesn't work. :-(
    I've added my entire flightsimulator directory and the .exe file itself to my Windows Defender exceptions list, maybe your antivirus program is preventing your settings from being saved?

The TrackIR keys do nothing once it's off. I don't have to quit the Sim, just end the flight, go back to the hangar and start the options menu from there.
    Make sure "Toggle Headtracking" is bound to a key (I set mine to CTRL + SHIFT + T and a button on my joystick). Once you have loaded in, press the Toggle Headtracking key or button and TrackIR should work. If TrackIR loses focus again, headtracking will be turned "off". If you press the Toggle Headtracking key again, it should turn back on without you have to return to the main menu. The usual TrackIR keys should still function as they always have.

Quote Originally Posted by ak416 View Post
    Make sure "Toggle Headtracking" is bound to a key (I set mine to CTRL + SHIFT + T and a button on my joystick). Once you have loaded in, press the Toggle Headtracking key or button and TrackIR should work. If TrackIR loses focus again, headtracking will be turned "off". If you press the Toggle Headtracking key again, it should turn back on without you have to return to the main menu. The usual TrackIR keys should still function as they always have.
    Yes, that's what I was trying to tell him.

August

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Edit: If you have a second drive, you can specify a custom install path. There is a 1.13GB block that installs deep in the C: drive, but the rest can go wherever you want. Just research the pros and cons of using a custom install path.
    I have a completely empty 240Gb SSD ready for this game, but it is still not big enough.. Might consider getting a new 1 Tb SSD as they are not really that expensive anymore, and if I still don't like this 'GOTY' I can always use it for other games I guess.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    I have a completely empty 240Gb SSD ready for this game, but it is still not big enough.. Might consider getting a new 1 Tb SSD as they are not really that expensive anymore, and if I still don't like this 'GOTY' I can always use it for other games I guess.
    Yeah, my base installation folder (called "Official", I'm a Steam user) is about 173 Gb big. I have the Deluxe Premium version, but that is big. Haven't even started to add the mods/addons to the community folder yet, but I'd say that 500 Gb is an absolute minimum for this sim.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

I'm up to 383Gb total, 241Gb in the official and community folders and 142Gb of ORBX stuff on a separate drive
    I haven't gone mad with the community folder, that only has 33.8Gb of stuff in it.

A 500Gb drive should be the minimum you need if your going to keep everything on one drive but there are ways to spread it over more.
    Of course if you get hooked on flightsim.to its the skies the limit (pun intended)
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by ak416 View Post
    Thanks, but as I said in the very sentence that you quoted, the toggles do nothing once TrackIR has died.
    Mathias

SOH-CM-2023

Replay tutorial

This video has e replay tutorial about 15 min into it that may be helpful. The feature is bit awkward however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUgf7Z9m4vw

SOH-CM-2023
    The following appear to be fixed now:

Devils tower does not launch high in the sky and blends, does not float, above the terrain.

Crazy horse, Half dome and Mount Rushmore do not float above the terrain.

TrackIR isn't working, there are issues in VR, I've had more CTDs than I've had since the early updates in 2020, and it occasionally locks up solid when switching views.

A hotfix is sorely needed.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    TrackIR isn't working, there are issues in VR, I've had more CTDs than I've had since the early updates in 2020, and it occasionally locks up solid when switching views.

A hotfix is sorely needed.
    Make sure DX12 is off.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Make sure DX12 is off.
    Oh, it's off! Given MS said "there's no improvement in features or performance, the first take is just to test compatibility," I had no desire to add even more risk of issues just to provide telemetry for the dev team.

I also flattened my system last week and reinstalled everything from scratch to fix the sporadic performance issues I was sometimes seeing in some sims and games. That worked great -- good old Windows reinstalls for the win, fixing undiagnoseable problems since 1996! So I'm running a super-fresh, vanilla install with all the latest drivers and no "stale Windows rot."

Members who have read this thread: 0