UKMIL Buccaneer: payloads help! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: UKMIL Buccaneer: payloads help!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    Thanks for the link. Flying Stations is gone though so I don't think I have someone to ask for permission to use it. If it was just for me that wouldn't be the point, but... I will make my own from Brian's since I have his permission. In the beginning I was a novice and naive about that but as I became a designer I became more aware and am sure I get it and save the emails with the aircrafts/scenery etc. I appreciate you looking and taking the time to write.
    My pleasure. @skippy_bing is a member here - shouldn't be too hard to track him down, though I don't think he's active in flight sim stuff these days, certainly for the FSX/P3D sim platforms.

dl

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    Thanks for the link. Flying Stations is gone though so I don't think I have someone to ask for permission to use it. If it was just for me that wouldn't be the point, but... I will make my own from Brian's since I have his permission. In the beginning I was a novice and naive about that but as I became a designer I became more aware and am sure I get it and save the emails with the aircrafts/scenery etc. I appreciate you looking and taking the time to write.
    My pleasure. @SkippyBing is a member here - shouldn't be too hard to track him down, though I don't think he's active in flight sim stuff these days, certainly for the FSX/P3D sim platforms.

dl

I hope you are using the John Young AI Sea vixen, readily available in FSX and FS9 over at MAIW. It includes the Sea Vixen that used to do the flying days a few years back but I seem to remember it was damaged a few years ago. I did my trade training on Sea Vixens at RAF Halton in 1975. I remember they and the Buccaneers were built like brick outhouse's compare to RAF aircraft.

Regards Paul Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    IIRC,RN Buccaneers were shore based at Lossiemouth ( from reading Winkle Brown's book); Phantoms at Yeovilton

Skippy Bing would know

Ttfn

Pete
    That's broadly correct although the Phantoms were only at Yeovilton for a couple of years before going to Leuchars where the RAF's FG.1s were.

No problems with you using the Flying Stations Wessex, just drop a credit in the read me or something. I made a HU5 version as well but I'm not sure if that's available anywhere, I gave it to Henrik for the AI ships project.

Re the RNHF, although it was disbanded in 2019 the aircraft now fall under the Navy Wings banner. Essentially this makes them civilian owned and operated, however the elements that were in the RNHF are still based at Yeovilton.

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Henk,

Perhaps you can answer a question I have on the Flying Stations Buccaneer.

In my readings I understand that the real Bucc had a Boundary Layer Control system. It's likely too sophisticated to be modeled in the sim, but then I was wonder what the BLOW switch does on the right panel (see switch #56 pages 37 and 38 of the S.2 manual).

Any insight as to what this switch does or is it inop?

Thanks
    It does work! (Kind of through some sort of gauge trickery.) If you're coming in and you don't keep your power up the sim lets things happen like a wing drop or stall even though your IAS says you should still be flying if you're doing an approach by the numbers. The BLC lets you maintain the lower end of the speed range as long as you have enough bleed air going over the control surfaces. Sim Skunk Works did something similar on their F-104 as well. I took me reading the manual to figure out why the Starfighter rolled into the ground when I'd chop power with full flaps! (Because I wasn't flying it correctly. Imagine that!) With both of these planes you want to keep the power up and control your speed with the air brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Patterson View Post
    It does work! (Kind of through some sort of gauge trickery.) If you're coming in and you don't keep your power up the sim lets things happen like a wing drop or stall even though your IAS says you should still be flying if you're doing an approach by the numbers. The BLC lets you maintain the lower end of the speed range as long as you have enough bleed air going over the control surfaces. Sim Skunk Works did something similar on their F-104 as well. I took me reading the manual to figure out why the Starfighter rolled into the ground when I'd chop power with full flaps! (Because I wasn't flying it correctly. Imagine that!) With both of these planes you want to keep the power up and control your speed with the air brakes.

That's correct, not sure how SSW did it but for the Buccaneer the visual model flaps vary according to what the pilot sets but are really just eye candy. A gauge intercepts the controls and sets the flight model flaps to provide the right coefficient of lift based on flap setting, blow setting, and engine RPM. Fortunately I was able to find some graphs with that level of detail. I also had to set custom flap sounds otherwise you just heard them continuously motoring as RPM varied!

RNAS Yeovilton EGDY

Here is the complete base. I was going to start a new thread but decided that since this is the end of my RNAS/RAF for awhile I would just complete it here. I am going to upload it to the Warbirds Library but would like a test in P3D versions including V4 if someone is willing and you can post here or PM me either way that it is ok to go or what do I need to fix.

Here is the mediafire link to the folder: https://www.mediafire.com/file/zutwi...+2022.zip/file

Members who have read this thread: 4