Can someone cofirm?

Thread: Can someone cofirm?

Can someone cofirm?

After doing some research, I may have found an error in the BoB airfield labeling. What is labeled Ramsgate just north of Hawkinge near Ramsgate harbor should actually be RAF Manston and what is labeled Manston just north of Warmwell should actually be RAF Boscombe Down. If this is indeed an error can someone post a step by step way of correcting this?

Library Staff
    Hi Col Wolf,

Manston being in the wrong place goes back to CFS1. Unfortunately Achim carried this mistake onto CFS2 when he built that aerodrome. In reality Ramsgate airfield existed a few miles east of Manston. Ian Elliot did a CFS2 version of Manston in the correct location. You can have both Ian's Manston and Achim's Ramsgate installed together. Ramsgate is incorrectly positioned just north of Manston but the scenery doesn't seem to conflict.

The incorrect Manston is close to Compton Abbas airfield but I'm not sure whether it existed during the war. Boscombe Down is about 30 miles away. Perhaps it should just be deleted.

This year, with Achim's permission, I amended all his airfield downloads by consolidating the AFD BGL entries into single BGL files for each country. I renamed the incorrect UK entries:

Manston ---> Compton Abbas

Haverhill ---> Castle Camps

Woolston ---> Beaulieu

Gonfirth ---> Scatsta

You may notice the Gary Burns version of Hawkinge is also incorrectly located. Once again, Ian Elliot made a CFS2 version in the right place.

The problem with correcting airfield locations is the number of missions which have been written for them.

Cheers,
    Kevin

Kdriver, I can see where correcting physical locations would be a problem for existing missions and best left alone. Ramsgate was actually only a satellite field of Manston. If it were just renamed as Manston only the Overview, Background and Intelligence entries in missions would have to be updated. The same could be done for the incorrect Manston, renaming it to Boscombe Down because you are correct, it did not exist during the war.

Members who have read this thread: 0