Navy Outlying Landing Fields

Thread: Navy Outlying Landing Fields

Navy Outlying Landing Fields

I am going to start creating some NOLFs for Corry and Saufley aircraft to fly to and from. Here is a really cool repaint I found online. In 1943 Piper modified their J-5 into the HE-1 Ambulance which was later changed to AE-1 when helicopters started using the "H". The Piper L-21 was as close as I could come in FSX for it but I think it came out pretty close and its really interesting. Wish I knew how to make the stretcher compartment open with the SHIFT E2, but I had to settle to simulate it with the texture. If I can get permission to modify the model from the designer, I may see if I can get help to make it work with a stokes stretcher patient.

Got it

Well, I was able to contact the designer and get his permission by email to modify the model. The only problem is that I don't have the faintest clue how to do that. I posted over at FS Developers but no luck. Anyone on here who would be willing to modify this to make a working stretcher compartment to share with me and the rest of those here who are interested in it? I am going to create the stretcher in Sketchup but the aircraft model needs to be done in either FSDS 3 or Blender neither of which I have been able to master and I tried.

Back To Scenery

I tried all afternoon, but I almost wonder if the model is not able to be modified. I tried it in FSDS but it would not cut out the part so I am through trying. It will have to stay like it is. I am starting tomorrow morning on NOLF Bronson in Florida as my first field. Up through 1958 it was an active NAAS with hangers, barracks, fire station and an interesting runway system so stand by for some photos tomorrow evening.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I tried all afternoon, but I almost wonder if the model is not able to be modified. I tried it in FSDS but it would not cut out the part so I am through trying. It will have to stay like it is. I am starting tomorrow morning on NOLF Bronson in Florida as my first field. Up through 1958 it was an active NAAS with hangers, barracks, fire station and an interesting runway system so stand by for some photos tomorrow evening.
    Keep pluggin'!

Real Life

Well, my neighbor and I repaired our deck today and after 3 hours of that, my back and knees hurt and HE did most of the work because I'm not able anymore. God bless good neighbors! Anyway, I'm too tired to go into the scenery shop today so I'll begin work on Bronson tomorrow. Ya'all have a good evening.

Got a few hours in

Got a chance to work today for a few hours on the field. Using the topo of it by USGS I have laid out the 4 runways, big circle and all the taxiways. Then created an apron for the seaplane ramp and remembering my Kaneohe Bay I created for WWII, put a flatten over the ramps so that they do not look like a seawall instead of a ramp into the water. Hope to get back to it Friday if not tomorrow afternoon.

Bronson Complete

I have finished NAAS Bronson Field this evening and after checking it for any obvious errors I am pleased with the result so that I can create some AI Flight Plans from Corry to Bronson and back touch and go's with some SNJ's for the early 1950's. It is all assumed as far as the hangers and the buildings because the photos of the HE-1 and the only photos of any buildings and just a piece. I used the hangers and barracks from Corry Field with some modifications to them and then used Ian's WWII buildings for fill-ins. The aerial views are excellent for the circular pad, runways and taxiways. The barracks look like those at Corry so I am using those in the configurations in the aerial views. With Corry still in service, it had a lot more photos but Bronson being dismantled after 1960 there were no buildings left to copy and no photos. In WWII my dad told me they were not allowed to take snapshots for security reasons which is probably why there are so few photos of these fields, just aerial shots for the most part of the OLF's. The link below takes you to a really interesting site:

http://www.scharch.org/Ed_Scharch/08-nas-jax-oper.htm

Great article - thanks.

Spencer and Bagdad

NAAS Bronson, NOLF Spencer and NOLF Bagdad have both been completed. I am using the KNUN Saufley that was made a few years ago for FSX until the one here is completed. NAAS Corry (its own thread) is also totally complete now. Screen shots later today.

Youtube Video

Here is my FIRST Youtube video I ever made. It is recorded this morning with Flashback Player Free video maker. The aircraft are divided into three ai flights with 8 aircraft in each flight. The first group begin training at 0815 local EST from NAAS Corry Field and fly out to NAAS Saufley, NOLF Spencer, NAAS Bronson Field and NOLF Bagdad. NAAS Saufley is a downloaded airport since the custom one here is not yet completed. The other three airports are custom I made (the NAAS Corry Field thread above) Spencer was modified from a download of the current rotary wing field from 1950s photos from the Abandoned Airfields sight as was Bagdad. It is not as smooth as I would like recorded as a screen capture. I had NVidia software a while back I may look into again because I really liked recording and watching this. I didn't realize until I was watching that the JAI AI AT-6 (SNJ) pilots are not in the aircraft and the cockpits are open until they become active. The cockpits stay open as they should until ready to take off as well. Really cool! I modified the pilots to have period flight suits and Maewest lifevests as well as leather helmets and goggles instead of the modern flightsuits, flotation gear and HGU helmets in the original downloaded version which is a modern restored Texan. There was no paintkit so I had to create one for the SNJ in proper 1955 livery. The tail codes and MODEX are accurate as are the BuNos but I do not know if the actual MODEX/BuNo combinations are truly accurate. Only 110 is because I have a photo. The rest I downloaded from Joe Baugher's Navy/Marine Corps Registrations. I researched the livery in the Official U.S. Navy and Marine Corps Color Guide Vol. 3 1950-1959. I originally had the AI setup with FSDS SNJ's but when I tested it, it the aircraft were "drop-dead" beautiful but also at 16MB each soon froze up FSX to a standstill. I went back to square one, found and downloaded the JAI AI Texan online and then started over with the repaints. I have a whole set of 25 repainted flying SNJ's to choose from now LOL! https://youtu.be/uZbQhUhKIyw

looks great - a lot of work!

NOLF Batch One

Here is a download link to the files for NOLF Spencer and NOLF Bagdad as you saw in the video on youtube (link above). Before I upload to the Warbirds Library I would like a few other testers opinions so that if I need to fix anything I can. I think they look pretty good but give me your HONEST opinion and if any constructive criticism. I would also like to know how they work in P3D and FSX Steam. I only can test them on FSX Acceleration DVD. Thank you. Everybody have a Happy, safe and blessed Thanksgiving.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/1med6...h+One.zip/file

Here is a download link to the files for NOLF Spencer and NOLF Bagdad as you saw in the video on youtube (link above). Before I upload to the Warbirds Library I would like a few other testers opinions so that if I need to fix anything I can. I think they look pretty good but give me your HONEST opinion and if any constructive criticism. I would also like to know how they work in P3D and FSX Steam. I only can test them on FSX Acceleration DVD. Thank you. Everybody have a Happy, safe and blessed Thanksgiving.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/1med6...h+One.zip/file
    They work fine in P3D4.4

Only little error I see is when pulling up Bagdad (KNBD) it shows "Bahgdad" vice "Bagdad" - no big deal. Nice work.

Just Fixed It

Thank you, here is an updated bgl, I was able to correct it in ADEx. https://www.mediafire.com/file/z9xma...X_RRL.ad4/file This is the corrected airport .bgl file. Just replace the one in the scenery folder.

NOLF Spencer

I made a comparison of NOLF Before/After installing.

In P3D V4.5 Before

After in P3D V4.5

Great

Thank you for that. It will work good for everyone. The lines on the runways are according to the 1949 photograph so are accurately placed in ADEx. I assume that you are talking about KNUN, NOLF Spencer which is still in use. It seems that P3D did not show any of the "H" helicopter landing spots. I came across an interesting comment about this and BAGDAD: there are no crosswind landings at these fields with all the runways.

Thank you for that. It will work good for everyone. The lines on the runways are according to the 1949 photograph so are accurately placed in ADEx. I assume that you are talking about KNUN, NOLF Spencer which is still in use. It seems that P3D did not show any of the "H" helicopter landing spots. I came across an interesting comment about this and BAGDAD: there are no crosswind landings at these fields with all the runways.

To be honest, I did not install all the goodies supplied Sode etc. Was interested in a quick look at the outcome.

OK

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    To be honest, I did not install all the goodies supplied Sode etc. Was interested in a quick look at the outcome.
    Not a problem. Thank you for taking the time to check it out. Glad that it works as I intended.

Richard

NAAS Saufley and NAAS Bronson

Here is a download link for these two fields so that you can have the ai aircraft from NAAS Corry Field do TNG's.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/wz7ku...ufley.zip/file

NAAS Saufley and NAAS Bronson

Thank you very much tgycgijoes.

The more military bases and other military files and other sceneries the better in MHO.

I really look forward to installing this hopefully sometime this weekend.

Thank you again Sir.

Your Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by p14u2nv View Post
    Thank you very much tgycgijoes.

The more military bases and other military files and other sceneries the better in MHO.

I really look forward to installing this hopefully sometime this weekend.

Thank you again Sir.
    I have been so blessed by the contributions from so many freeware designers over the past 20 years of flight simming, that I am not going to try and mention names so that I might not hurt anyone's feelings by omitting them through no intention but "old age" oversight and memory. Over that time I learned through tutoring from them how to do what I am able to do honing my God-given talents to be able to give some of that back. I hope that you are able to enjoy this for many hours of flying. Don't forget to get the NOLF's if you intend to use the AI Traffic files to have them to fly to and from as well as flying there yourself. They are not as complex but equally fascinating especially Spencer and Bagdad in their layouts. Have fun flying.

Richard

Members who have read this thread: 0