How in the world do you update this sim anymore???

Thread: How in the world do you update this sim anymore???

How in the world do you update this sim anymore???

It used to simply update in the sim. then it required going into the MS Store. Then it required you to get the XBOX app. Now, I have all 3 of hose in motion, nothing updates, there are no idications of HOW to update, and the sim still tells me to go to the MS store to update....totally frustrated....I haven't turned on this sim in months and months....any ideas?
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    It used to simply update in the sim. then it required going into the MS Store. Then it required you to get the XBOX app. Now, I have all 3 of hose in motion, nothing updates, there are no idications of HOW to update, and the sim still tells me to go to the MS store to update....totally frustrated....I haven't turned on this sim in months and months....any ideas?
    Hi,

Try logging off and in again to the MS Store after shutting down the sim. Then restart the sim and it should update automatically.

EDIT: it might be that you will have to update the store first. I'm on steam, so maybe a good soul using the MS Store version here can help out

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Well....it just randomly started updating....after restarting the app....I do not understand why this is so incredibly painful...

- - - Updated - - -

thanks Priller...I didn't see your comment, but that is what I did...sort of... LOL
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

It's painful on PC because MSFS is designed for Xbox and the update process for PC is an emulation of the Xbox process, which is entirely automatic i.e. the update begins as soon as you start up your Xbox.
    On PC, if you haven't launched Windows Update or the Windows Store app and downloaded ALL the available updates before updating MSFS, you're going to have problems.

Rick, I feel your pain..
    Sometimes it updates automatically, sometimes I have to follow the most amazing and tortuous path, I have been ready to just give up on numerous occasions...

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    It's painful on PC because MSFS is designed for Xbox and the update process for PC is an emulation of the Xbox process, which is entirely automatic i.e. the update begins as soon as you start up your Xbox.
    On PC, if you haven't launched Windows Update or the Windows Store app and downloaded ALL the available updates before updating MSFS, you're going to have problems.
    I agree with tiger1962: first update your windows completely, not a bad idea to update your GFX drivers, log out of the store and update that, login in again and see if there are updates available for your MSFS.

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    It's painful on PC because MSFS is designed for Xbox and the update process for PC is an emulation of the Xbox process, which is entirely automatic i.e. the update begins as soon as you start up your Xbox. On PC, if you haven't launched Windows Update or the Windows Store app and downloaded ALL the available updates before updating MSFS, you're going to have problems.
    These problems aren't exclusive to MSFS, this is a problem with the Microsoft Store and all of it's related services. The process actually works as it should on Xbox, PC gaming has been an afterthought for Microsoft for what, at least the last 20 years? It's only recently that Microsoft has embraced PC gaming again, which is why they are releasing new titles of their "staple" PC franchises like Flight Simulator and Age of Empires and releasing all of their big exclusives on both PC and Xbox day and date. While the Microsoft Store and Xbox apps have improved in the last few years, especially in the last 12 months or so thanks to Microsoft's push for Gamepass subscriptions on the PC, they are still awful and have been since Windows 10 was released. The Steam version does not have these issues. So it's not so much Flight Simulator as it is the Microsoft Store.

Quote Originally Posted by ak416 View Post
    These problems aren't exclusive to MSFS, this is a problem with the Microsoft Store and all of it's related services. The process actually works as it should on Xbox, PC gaming has been an afterthought for Microsoft for what, at least the last 20 years? It's only recently that Microsoft has embraced PC gaming again, which is why they are releasing new titles of their "staple" PC franchises like Flight Simulator and Age of Empires and releasing all of their big exclusives on both PC and Xbox day and date. While the Microsoft Store and Xbox apps have improved in the last few years, especially in the last 12 months or so thanks to Microsoft's push for Gamepass subscriptions on the PC, they are still awful and have been since Windows 10 was released. The Steam version does not have these issues. So it's not so much Flight Simulator as it is the Microsoft Store.
    Where's the like button? Agree 150%. I run the steam version of this sim and only had problems with updates on one occasion. And that was due to me being impatient and wanting to run the update the day it came out which was the same day the sim was launched on XBox.

And at the end of November, I'll have a fiber connection at home, so the future's looking bright!

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by ak416 View Post
    Agreed. I wonder why MSFS and all other Xbox titles can't be installed through the Xbox app on PC instead of Microsoft Store?

Future update beta testing isn't much friendlier. Steam users can't participate because it's only available via the Store. But users that can do it really need to have their sim installed in a custom location. Those users will only have a small download after the beta is done. Users with their sim in the stock location will have to re-d/l the entire 100+GB at the end of the beta!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I'm sure this will all be fixed in Windows 11. Right ?
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Members who have read this thread: 0