Windows 11

Thread: Windows 11

Windows 11

I suppose it's about time to start a new thread with everyone's experience in converting their system to Win 11.

Has anyone made the switch successfully yet?

Any luck with getting CFS3 to run?
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

So far, I am not convinced of the need to change to Win 11. My Comp Sci son is not moving yet, so I will wait and see if he does.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

I saw on one of the WOFF boards that it has been tested and it seems like no problems were encountered. Still, I'm in no rush to change.

Not happening here

As my PC is 7th generation Intel it won’t take the Win11 upgrade. I look forward to being able to harrumph and mutter about Windows 10 being all I ever need, don’t know why MS has to change it, bah humbug grrr humph.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    As my PC is 7th generation Intel it won’t take the Win11 upgrade. I look forward to being able to harrumph and mutter about Windows 10 being all I ever need, don’t know why MS has to change it, bah humbug grrr humph.
    Where's the like button?! You staff should really get that in here!!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

You’re welcome!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Not again ! Thought Win 10 was supposed to be the end all. They are such liars ! Lol !

Members +

I gotta stick up my hand & say.. "Yep, I did it!"
    I started the update/upgrade on the 5th (release date), went to bed, & all was good in the morning. No issues at all, my 8 versions (lol) of FS2004 & my P3Dv4.5 all run perfectly.
    Sorry to hop on to a CFS forum, I like to keep in touch, as I was a CFS'er in the past.
    I have a 2 year old ASUS i5 8GB ram 1TB laptop. so, all good!
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Thanks for the feedback. So far, it looks like it won't be the same disaster for CFS3 that going from Win 7 to Win 10 was for me with my previous computer. Now that I've turned on the TPM function in my BIOS, it's just a matter of waiting for MS to decide that I'm worthy of their beneficence.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Well they offered me the upgrade today. It took 90 minutes and I only had one issue with it initially not recognizing my Nvidia card so the resolution was way off. The driver and control panel was missing to reset it back to the screen default so had to use gpedit (Win 11 Pro version) to fix it. There were a couple of additional system updates that needed to be installed once the Win 11 base install was done, but that only took an extra 10 minutes to complete.

Once it was fully up and running I then had to install the new AMD Chipset drivers to fix the Preferred Core / L3 Cache latency issues.

Other than that, everything appears to be intact, and run as they should (including CFS3) without the need to do any reinstalls.

I'm not sure I like the way the new interface works, but perhaps it will grow on me over time.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Blog Entries
    Good news to hear. Maybe the next pc i'll be sure CFS3 is still alive and kicking . Long live CFS3 ! Regards, Scott

Well, as usual with MS the devil is in the details. My Realtek HD Audio software disappeared. The drive installed, but no settings tool was in the tray, so no room effects or equalizer anymore. I tried installing a newer version of the driver (late Oct versus Feb 21) than the one Win 11 defaulted to, but it just did an endless uninstall, reinstall loop, and never finished. I think the default Win 11 driver was interfering with the ASRock install package.

I ended up buying a $14.99 copy of Boom 3D since I'm using only headphones for gaming speakers these days (happy wife, happy life), and that gave me full control over the soundscape again. Their game equalizer setting, and high fidelity filter really brings the game alive.
    Last edited by MajorMagee; November 6th, 2021 at 09:19.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Thanks for the info gents, always handy to have a reference for when others have to upgrade

Mick

I've had one additional bit of Win 11 strangeness this week. I noticed while scrolling down the Facebook feed to watch the occasional embedded video that my screen was flashing randomly. After a number of times I finally saw what was actually happening. The desktop visible around the open window was darkening, and brightening back up again, but inside the window itself was unchanged. A quick internet search to see if others were having similar issues only turned up a couple of suggestions. Inside the active window was unaffected so I was pretty sure the monitor or cables were not going bad. Also, the desktop monitor doesn't have a room light sensor, so adaptive brightness, which was not turned on anyway, wasn't the issue.

In looking at my settings I found two unlikely possibilities. I had Gsync set to only work in full screen mode, and I had my power management set to turn the monitor off after 5 minutes of inactivity. I set Gsync to work in both Fullscreen and Windowed mode, and told the power saver to never try to turn off the monitor. (My X52 HOTAS prevents the system from ever going inactive so the monitor never automatically turns off anyway.)

Magically I've not seen the background brightness dim and return ever since even though it's not really logical to think either one could have made a difference.

p.s. Setting the values back as they were does not make the issue recur. Go figure...
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Blog Entries
    So far i've not been notified for a upgrade. Guess my pc is not up to specs for Win 11. Might get a brand new gaming rig later next year and start over again. Hopefully will not take so long getting setup as this last pc did. Got everything saved properly and ready for a reinstall of my combat flight sims and related software . Wonder if Gmax will work in windows 11 ? Regards,Scott

Finally found an Nvidia thread reporting this as a problem with the newer Game Ready video drivers. I'll roll back to the Studio Drivers, and see it helps.

p.s. So far, so good.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Windows 11 Enterprise is finally available and I've got the image. So after my move to the new house (with a fiber internet connection), I'm doing a clean reinstall of my machine. I have this strange feeling that upgrading isn't the best way forward, whatever M$ might say.

Just thinking out loud.

Cheers,

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    Finally found an Nvidia thread reporting this as a problem with the newer Game Ready video drivers. I'll roll back to the Studio Drivers, and see it helps.

p.s. So far, so good.
    It just started doing it again as I was looking at a video feed on Facebook, so the older driver didn't do the trick.

p.s. I just turned off hardware acceleration in the Chrome browser settings. Let's see if that's it.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

As I'm reading MajorMagee's "adventures" here I'm pretty impressed by his abilities to troubleshoot his way along. I DO NOT have his degree of knowledge on these PC issues.
    I don't understand Microsoft's business model. Make things so hard for their customers that they migrate over to Apple?

Quote Originally Posted by swpierce View Post
    As I'm reading MajorMagee's "adventures" here I'm pretty impressed by his abilities to troubleshoot his way along. I DO NOT have his degree of knowledge on these PC issues.
    I don't understand Microsoft's business model. Make things so hard for their customers that they migrate over to Apple?
    And how, pray tell, are you planning on running your Microsoft flightsim(s)?

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Well, it turns out that the background screen dimming issue has to do with playing an embedded video in Chrome using DX 11 rendering. Turning off hardware acceleration effectively stops the issue, but if you want to keep acceleration turned on for other reasons you can have Chrome use dxd9 (or OpenGL) rendering instead.

This is set on the chrome://flags/ tab.

Search for ANGLE, and it will give you a list of rendering options to select from.

Evidently this happens in Edge and other video players based on DX 11 as well, so I would expect MS will get this patched up at some point in the future.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

After my PC crash last summer, my son rebuilt my rebuild and put on Win 11. Still working it out but so far so good,

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Still running 7 here LOL!

Members who have read this thread: 31