Aeroplane Heaven Spitfire 1a updated 19/10/21
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aeroplane Heaven Spitfire 1a updated 19/10/21

Aeroplane Heaven Spitfire 1a updated 19/10/21

Aeroplane Heaven Spitfire 1a updated yesterday at JustFlight, presumably tested for SU6.
    Works well for me

Thanks for the pointer!!!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

I was never happy with the camouflage colors it came with, as I could not see the difference between the dark green and dark earth. Now I know I'm colorblind, but I've always been able to see the difference, so I adapted them. What do you think?
    jk9209 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk9216 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk9228 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk9230 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk9235 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

I haven't got this addon yet, so can't make comment about the original, but those colours look pretty spot on to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    I was never happy with the camouflage colors it came with, as I could not see the difference between the dark green and dark earth. Now I know I'm colorblind, but I've always been able to see the difference, so I adapted them. What do you think?

I agree with you JanKees. It is for this reason that I did not buy it. The colors do not seem correct to me.
    The colors you are showing us here are more in line with reality.
    Give us some textures and I'll buy it!
    Richard

The camouflage colours for the Mk1a Spitfire are taken from real swatches given to me by a well-know restorer of Spitfires. The swatches are metal plates painted with the exact paint codes used by the RAF in 1940. These were scanned and displayed on colour corrected minitors and checked against all the usual swatches such as used in plastic model paints, computer graphics etc. and then broken down into their respective RGB values. The texture files were then represented to the restorer and passed by them. We have used this method on all our Spitfires since day one and also the Hurricane and Lancaster.

This has been a debate for years and can only ever be subjetive as everybody'x monitor is different. Brown is called Dark Earth. Sorry, Jan but I really do not think that the brown you have used is dark enough and is a little "sandy"in appearance.

On the subject of the update, we now have a HotFix for V1.5 which cures the CDT issue. It should be available from tomorrow.

I think those colors look quite a bit closer, Jankees!

What is acknowledged today among researchers and warbird restorers as accurate/authentic colors is different than it was 20, 30, 40 years ago. The colors seen on, for instance, the restored Mk.1 N3200, where absolutely no expense was spared, are accepted by leading experts today as being the correct colors (as well as the correct markings and demarcations, all around, for this particular paint scheme).

Guys, please realise that I am the last person that should have an opinion about colors, as I can't see most of them, since I'm colorblnd
    Here's an example:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	youll-be-amazed-how-people-with-color-blindness-see-the-world-10-pics-1.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	166.7 KB 
ID:	84766

for me, only the last picture is different, first three are all more or less the same.
    But on the pics John posted, and on nearly all pictures of Mk.1 Spitfires in dark green/ dark earth, even I can clearly see the difference between the color, even in black and white pics I see the difference.
    But when the AH Mk.1a came out, I actually thought you guys had forgotten the camouflage, I just could not see it. So I parked it in the hangar, hoping for an update or a paintkit.
    Yesterday I started playing with the paintkit, I copied RGB codes like I always do, and found a strange color profile in the paintkit, making my RGB codes useless. So I adapted, and this is what I ended up with. Note that I can't SEE if it is the right color, I usually work with RGB codes, but that turns out to be a bit of a challenge with this paintkit. Still, for my eyes the spit now looks more like I want it to be, so I think I'll stick with it.
    Just for your information, I used RGB 97,83,57 for the Dark Earth and 62,68,54 for the dark green. I'm open for suggestions for better colors if somebody has them.
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardLouis View Post
    Give us some textures and I'll buy it!
    Richard
    working on them...

jk9264 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk9268 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk9255 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk9261 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk9209 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk9216 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk9228 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk9230 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk9235 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    Magnificent job as always!!

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

We all, have our opinions, which is right and proper. That is why there is a paint kit. Good job Jan.

Wow Jan, for someone who is colorblind, you are a master with color on all of your paints. Thanks for the demonstration of your color blindness, as I could clearly see all of the differences in those images and knowing only the last one was different for you really got the point across. I wonder if that's how people who can see millions of colors feel the rest of us are?

Guys, please realise that I am the last person that should have an opinion about colors, as I can't see most of them, since I'm colorblnd
    Here's an example:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	youll-be-amazed-how-people-with-color-blindness-see-the-world-10-pics-1.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	166.7 KB 
ID:	84766

for me, only the last picture is different, first three are all more or less the same.
    But on the pics John posted, and on nearly all pictures of Mk.1 Spitfires in dark green/ dark earth, even I can clearly see the difference between the color, even in black and white pics I see the difference.
    But when the AH Mk.1a came out, I actually thought you guys had forgotten the camouflage, I just could not see it. So I parked it in the hangar, hoping for an update or a paintkit.
    Yesterday I started playing with the paintkit, I copied RGB codes like I always do, and found a strange color profile in the paintkit, making my RGB codes useless. So I adapted, and this is what I ended up with. Note that I can't SEE if it is the right color, I usually work with RGB codes, but that turns out to be a bit of a challenge with this paintkit. Still, for my eyes the spit now looks more like I want it to be, so I think I'll stick with it.
    Just for your information, I used RGB 97,83,57 for the Dark Earth and 62,68,54 for the dark green. I'm open for suggestions for better colors if somebody has them.

Jan, we use Substance Painter to produce all our PBR materials and textures. The profiles are set up in the programme specifically for the simulator graphics profile for which they are destined. They are not the same as the old P3D/FSX style materials. Substance Painter is the go-to tool for all games developers and CGI producers these days. We hardly touch Pshop for MSFS development.

I have substance painter on my computer, I just don't have the time to learn how to use it..yet..
    Maybe over xmas?

but I did upload my first Spitfire paints:
    66 Squadron LZ-K N3035
    jk9427 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

and 603 Squadron XT-M X4277
    jk9275 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

two more coming your way:

jk9449 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk9444 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk9448 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk9458 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk9459 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Brilliant as always! You can't imagine how many folders in my community folder start with JK!

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

A few photos of the real life N3277. Note the arrangement of the code letters on the starboard side, as well as the placement of the RAF serial number (higher on fuselage).

Although this first photo says "damage by flak", I believe the damage seen there is actually when the pilot set off the destructive charge in the radios/IFF unit after being forced down.

Trust John to find more details. Update coming tomorrow!

Question, did the Mk.1a ever fly with the grey green scheme?

Question two: Jankees, would you mind doing a fictive one if they didn't?

Cheers,

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

I think I found one picture of a grey/green mk.1a, I'll see if I can dig it up again. Or we could apply a mk.2 scheme, they're not that different.

I have substance painter on my computer, I just don't have the time to learn how to use it..yet..
    Maybe over xmas?
    Somewhat gob smacked to learn you are color blind.
    If you can't discern differences very well, how do you get the subtle changes in several shades of green, for instance, into your liveries?
    T43

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Question, did the Mk.1a ever fly with the grey green scheme?

Question two: Jankees, would you mind doing a fictive one if they didn't?
    The Fleet Air Arm had some as lead-in trainers for Seafire pilots, they would have been grey / green standard colours for FAA at the time.

Ttfn

Pete

Members who have read this thread: 1