Windows 11

Thread: Windows 11

Windows 11

Do any of you have lnfo on how Windows 11 might impact FSX operation?

Quote Originally Posted by downwind View Post
    Do any of you have lnfo on how Windows 11 might impact FSX operation?
    You don't specify which version of Windows 11 you are curious about.... and they offer 5 different versions.

As an IT professional with over 30 years of experience, I generally advise people to wait a while before adopting any new Microsoft operating system if they can help it.
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

Good Advice

Even as a novice, I remember the headaches many people had with Windows 10 and FSX when IT first came out. And take MSFS as another good example...I personally didn't even want Windows 10 and am perfectly happy with my FSX Disk and Windows 7 installation as I know many others are too. I know eventually I will have to get a new computer sooner or later but a friend told me to have one built to MY specs and I won't be at the mercy of the manufacturers.

Personally, when I saw the info talking about Win11, my first instinct was to say "Oh Hell No", lol. Win10 is enough of an albatross without jumping from that into the unknown. . . .which is what it would be and always is with any new version, despite the hype from Microsoft about how much easier our lives will be with "THIS" version.

Nope, Win10 works with what I have for a computer system. . .no need to try to "make it better".
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

I'm in the fortunate position of having this rig fail the hardware check for Windows11.

The processor is an i5-6400, which is not on the M$ 'approved' list. Everything else passes, though.

Good, innit?

Dave

I've been running Win 11 Pro on my rig for a week now with no issues. I have FSX-SE and it has not had any problems. Just make sure you download the PCHealth check tool that Microsoft offers for free to check if your rig is compatable. I must say that Win 11 is the fastest operating system that I've ever tried on my rig. Boots up in about 15 to 20 sec from a cold start. Robert

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by mcanx View Post
    I've been running Win 11 Pro on my rig for a week now with no issues. I have FSX-SE and it has not had any problems. Just make sure you download the PCHealth check tool that Microsoft offers for free to check if your rig is compatable. I must say that Win 11 is the fastest operating system that I've ever tried on my rig. Boots up in about 15 to 20 sec from a cold start. Robert
    I agree with that. My 8 versions of FS2004 & my P3Dv4.5 all work well. No issuea and an easy upgrade from Windows 10 last week.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by awstub View Post
    You don't specify which version of Windows 11 you are curious about.... and they offer 5 different versions.

As an IT professional with over 30 years of experience, I generally advise people to wait a while before adopting any new Microsoft operating system if they can help it.
    Which is why my primary machine still runs Windows 7.
    Sadly 10 is still yet to go Gold...so it'll be a decade before I even think of 11.

BTW...there are ways to keep 7 safe and 'current' in spite of MS abandoning the only decent OS they ever made... [my 'IT' experience started in the latter half of secondary school....about 1969]...

MS PC Health Check caused my PC to lock up. So I don't think I'll be bothering MS with their free upgrade of Windows. I'll stay where I am thankyou.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Which is why my primary machine still runs Windows 7.
    Sadly 10 is still yet to go Gold...so it'll be a decade before I even think of 11.

BTW...there are ways to keep 7 safe and 'current' in spite of MS abandoning the only decent OS they ever made... [my 'IT' experience started in the latter half of secondary school....about 1969]...
    Hey Jafo do you have any links or advice on how to keep win 7 current and safe? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomP View Post
    Hey Jafo do you have any links or advice on how to keep win 7 current and safe? Thanks
    It's a link that is available to all of us: it's called "Windows Update". Anything before Windows 10 is a security liability.

Before you ask, yes I do work in IT and yes, I hate the firm Micro$not. But in these days, keeping windows XP/7/8.x current and safe is impossible.

P
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

SOH-CM-2023
    I used to run my copy of FSX on a Dell desktop with Windows XP Pro (wow, remember that ?) and a good (for the time) graphics card.
    Once I had it up and running, I never connected it to the internet for updates. It was strictly a gamer machine.

I had another computer (also XP Pro) with which I would download aircraft, scenery, fixes, etc. to a USB flash drive. Then I would scan
    the files thru an anti-virus and malware program(s) to be safe. Then I installed them on my FSX computer. That routine worked very
    well for me - don't remember any major problems.

Unfortunately, the old girls went to computer heaven so I'm now going to try my luck with Windows 10. I, too, don't have any machines
    that fall into the Windows 11 upgrade category so I'll see how it goes. Perhaps this thread may interest some of you:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/make-older-apps-or-programs-compatible-with-windows-10-783d6dd7-b439-bdb0-0490-54eea0f45938

Good Luck !!

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    I failed the W11 compatibility test. Need something called TPM.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    It's a link that is available to all of us: it's called "Windows Update". Anything before Windows 10 is a security liability.

Before you ask, yes I do work in IT and yes, I hate the firm Micro$not. But in these days, keeping windows XP/7/8.x current and safe is impossible.

P
    Not true.
    Joe Average might panic and think the world is ending unless using the flavour of the month OS [thanks, Microsoft], but there are ways.

One is '0patch'. There's a free trial, however it's always going to be both cheaper and easier to not bother with the rubbish that is Win 10. I still have one box that refuses to update its 10 OS, no matter what I do [short of total reformat].
    https://0patch.com - seemlessly patched processes 6158774 times since install....

BTW....that "link that's available to all of us" Windows Update....tell that to my wife's computer. It errors out, even with a forced full reinstall of a newer 10 release. Short of nuking the entire hardware and reformatting it has never updated in over 2 years....

Quote Originally Posted by mcanx View Post
    I don't mean to rain on your parade, but Win10 used to do that for me when it was new and shiny: many updates later it's more than a little tardy. All recent MS operating systems have done that – Win7, Win8, Win10 – fast boot to begin with but increasingly slow as time and updates go by. I have no axe to grind, just sayin'.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Members who have read this thread: 0