ID:	84569
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Looking good CK...

Cheers

Shessi

Great choice CK! An interesting aircraft and I hope it works as good in FS9 as your previous models!

Cheers,
    Huub

Great little plane Kurt. One of the interesting late war developments in engine design.

Any chance we might see a Short Bomber from your factory?

CK

I really admire your single-mindedness in developing these projects one at a time - I prefer to work on lots of things so if any one item gets to become a chore, I can move to working on something else for a while

Are your recent creations to support another one of your campaign packs perhaps?

Ravenna, Sorry no, same old problem, no good plans to work from.

UncleTgt, I hadn't really thought about it, though we could use something from the 1917/18 period from the Brit, French or German perspective. Maybe one of our campaign gurus will take it a s a challenge .
    I'm just having fun seeing if I can fill in some missing WWI types - based on those I have a good set of plans for - mostly from Windsock pubs. The internet hasn't really been a good source for usable WWI plans to work with.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Siemens-Schuckert SSW DIII

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - World War I

Description: he Siemens-Schuckert Werks (SSW) D.III was designed as a fast-climbing interceptor and was to make use of the new 11 cylinder Siemens-Halske 160hp counter-rotary engine. This engine featured a propeller, crankcase and cylinders rotating opposite to the crankshaft, allowing a slower propeller speed for the same power and the elimination of torque, among other things. Initial tests of the Sh.III engine in the SSW D.IIb saw a remarkable (for the time) climb of 7000m in 35 minutes, and the decision was made to design a new interceptor around it.

Approximately 41 SSW D.IIIs were delivered to frontline units between April and May, 1918. Most aircraft were supplied to Jagdgeschwader II, whose pilots were enthusiastic about the new aircraft's handling and rate of climb. however after 7 to 10 hours the Siemens-Halske engines began having problems with overheating and piston seizures. The airplanes were returned to the factory for upgrading. They were retrofitted with modified engines, cutaway cowlings, shorter wings, new design ailerons and rudder.

They were returned to service in late July 1918 along with a further 30 newly manufactured D.IIIs incorporating the design changes. They were issued to home defense Kest Squadrons this time, because their fast climb capability made them ideal to intercept incoming Allied high altitude bombing raids.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The model, textures. panel and air files are by Captain Kurt. The pilot figures were developed from Wolfi's freeware Japanese pilot .fsc source file. The prop spinning texture is by Kelticheart.

Gauges are by Martin Klein with texture change outs by Captain Kurt

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Siemens-Schuckert SSW DIII
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Yet another interesting WW1 plane to enjoy. THANK YOU. We do need some more planes from the early part of the Great War - and more campaigns too. So if you get bored....
    Finn

Thank you Captain , very nice rendition , but the read me , has me confused , Car mechanic , not an arrow enginer , or ever worked on the Radail engines , for that matter , some how I,m missing the point of revearse direction , equals less torque , unless something else is in revearse , as counter balance ,
    did you mean the Cylinders rotate opposite , the prop ? I had assumed that the cylinders were stationary , confused here ,

Thank you! Another good looking WWI biplane.

Library Staff
    Hi Kurt,

Thanks very much for yet another beautiful aeroplane for our WW1 hangar! You really have a fast production line!

Sarg Willy, check out YouTube videos on rotary aero engines. Unlike later radial engines, the rotary's entire cylinder bank rotated with the prop.

If you're ever in the New York area, Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome is definitely worth visiting. You will see rotary engines in operation. They have a Siemens-Schuckert D.III, although it's fitted with a Gnome rotary due to the unavailability of the rare Siemens-Halske engine - see https://oldrhinebeck.org/siemens-schuckert-d-iii/ for a further explanation of that engine.

Cheers,

Kevin

Thanks guys.

Sarg

It's a rotary so the engine rotates along with the prop. In the case of this engine, it's a popular misconception that it rotated in the opposite direction of the prop. Not so. That was an earlier engine made by Siemens-Halske, but not this one. Instead, according to my research, as the engine rotated it turned the crankshaft opposite to the usual direction which somehow (don't ask me, I'm not a mechanical engineer either) reduced the prop RPM to 900 while the engine was at its maximum 1800 RPM. Coupled with the big 4-blade prop, that gave it a lot of thrust and the plane its high rate of climb.

There's a better explanation on Wiki here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siemens-Halske_Sh.III
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Icon14

Thanks Captain, quickly and very well done Cheers Martin

Thanks Kurt! A fine model for late war hangars.
    I'm still looking for those plans for a Short Bomber. Maybe Shorts have a set in their archive.

Hi Captain
    Great Work!
    Regarding the engines.
    The people who thought of these 'rotary' engines in the early 1900's are great inventors / engineers.
    Incredible concept!
    Imagine the torque!!!
    A Fokker Dr1 with must have been interesting to handle.
    The rotary engines did not last but probably gave way to the radial engine.
    Cheers
    Stuart

Great addition again C_K. Thanks! I will definitely thy this one one in FS9 again.

@stuart 277, lubrication, fuel supply and ignition are a real challenge with a rotary engine. With radial or line engines you can used fixed lines, which makes life much easier. With the engines becoming stronger and and heavier towards the end of WWI, the increased mass caused the end of the rotary engine (at least for this purpose).

Cheers,
    Huub

Icon22 Reply...

Captain Kurt,

Many thanks for all of your outstanding work with World War I!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Members who have read this thread: 0