Offtopic - the end of the World? ;)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offtopic - the end of the World? ;)

Offtopic - the end of the World? ;)

Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram doesnt work. LOL

There is some global failure. For many its a end of the World .

Personally I have FB account to check some news from sim market but for many its a disaster.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

The only good reaction to those who think this is a disaster is limited to three words: "get a life"...

IT is my job and I'm not on any social network. BTW, the word social in that term is just plain wrong. There's nothing social about FB, twitter, instagram, LinkedIn or WhatsApp. It's commerce. And the damage that those networks/communities/apps incur to a lot of people is just plain destructive.

I'll get off me soapbox again... That thing is getting some serious mileage lately!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    The only good reaction to those who think this is a disaster is limited to three words: "get a life"...

IT is my job and I'm not on any social network. BTW, the word social in that term is just plain wrong. There's nothing social about FB, twitter, instagram, LinkedIn or WhatsApp. It's commerce. And the damage that those networks/communities/apps incur to a lot of people is just plain destructive.

I'll get off me soapbox again... That thing is getting some serious mileage lately!

Priller
    Many celebrities from product placement have suddenly lost their jobs ;>but some people remembered that they have families and they can speak up .

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Someone at FB made changes to their Border Gateway Protocols and essentially withdrew FB from the web. As of a few minutes ago, I couldn't find any DNS that knew their name.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/4/22708989
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.png  
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I also use Facebook to follow a few developers and their work in progress; and because my kids told me I was a "social retard" for not using it like they do.
    However, if this outage is due to a ransomware attack I certainly won't contribute to the ransom....

Faceplant?? Wuzat? I'm on one of my 3 "Social Media Sites" right now and I don't count email as such!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    a ransomware attack
    Possible and possible China, but of course it's a rumor only. Personally, I am not worried, but I would definitely be worried if it was the SOH Forum !

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    Both are known and nice! Thx.

1743 EDT 2143Z - I just logged in, but it's slow as molasses in winter. I'll give it a while. I'm betting about half of the world's population is trying to catch up right now...
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

It's back up, but search function is not working, also getting old news in the feed..wait it's out again...white screen. Hope everyone backed up their pictures. One thing I've learned from the flightsim community over the years - Backup backup backup.

0106Z - everything seems to be working, pretty much. There might be a few pic servers still offline. Search works.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Priller

Very well sais Priller!!!

It was indeed a hacker attack and 1.5 billion accounts were leaked (I saw this news Today).

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    It was indeed a hacker attack and 1.5 billion accounts were leaked (I saw this news Today).
    Nono, it was indeed changes to their Border Gateway Protocols which caused massive DNS problems. No account information was leaked. It was just human error.

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

I couldn't agree more. I am not a member of any of those either. My best social connections are ancient face to face and stay so.

I have never understood why people give their personal data to those international corporations for free!

Instagram is the only one I haven't been kicked off of, but I'm trying.

Nono, it was indeed changes to their Border Gateway Protocols which caused massive DNS problems. No account information was leaked. It was just human error.

Cheers,

Priller
    Right, what I saw was an over-interpretation of the author of the text, I think now.

Priller
    If they're still some space left on that soapbox, I'm in. Funny that people are paying fortunes for VPN, anti-cookies prog, proxy servers, and then turn around and spread on "social media" their most intimate information.

Geee...
    Torture numbers and they'll say anything.

Hubbabubba, Touche à tout.

I hesitate to wade into this, because clearly the information level about social media on this forum is comparable to if an Instagram fashion influencer tried to talk about the merits of the latest flight sim addon.

However, I will make the point that disparaging social media as a time-waster says more about you and your lifestyle than about the topic you think you are discussing. I am informed that WhatsApp, in particular, has become an essential communication tool for globally dispersed families, especially those that have members in developing countries without conventional telecommunication infrastructure. In the developed world, Facebook and Instagram are important advertising vehicles and customer feedback channels.

They were only down for a few hours, fortunately. But these are serious media with important uses, even if your own use of them is frivolous.

August

I sometimes see people responding to friends' posts that look like they're trying to start something stupid - especially when it comes to COVID and the science around it. They spout some conspiracy saying one thing or another that science says is false, then I respond by asking them to provide links to credible sources to back up their BS. Invariably, they can't. Meanwhile, I post correct information, and more importantly, I cite my research with links to the CDC or Johns Hopkins. At this point, one of two things will happen. They'll either vanish, or they'll resort to name-calling. If they opt for the latter, I have a response to that as well, and I'll share it here for anyone that want it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails db0da9b585c8473cd8278eae8314ced2.jpg  
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Btw. Flightsim.to :

Same here, got the number 327

475 for me..
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Same 678 Hello New World....

Members who have read this thread: 0