RCS B-25 Additional Variants, Airtankers? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RCS B-25 Additional Variants, Airtankers?

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by AudixDude View Post
    Sick and tired of the damn power outages!! I lived in SA (Alberton, just South of JHB) for over 40 years, moved back to the UK in 2010. I am up in Johannesburg (Germiston to be more precise) at the moment.
    Indeed,

Whenever you get to Cape Town, give a shout.. We have an Avro Shackleton simulator to 'play' with. Our virtual club built it a few years ago. Its on a trailer & quite fun to fly.

Sorry for hijacking this tread,....

Mmmm, actually, I can add the B-25 to that sim... touch & go's around Cape Town?
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

The RCS B25 is not FSX "native" it is FS2002 - I know, I did it :-) Roy and I had many hours of discussions about which model "format" to use, and we stayed with the FS8 (FS 2002) because it works in all versions of FS (with the exception of FS2020 obviously). FSX native models will not run in earlier versions. In case you do not know, there are different compilers in Gmax for each version of FS. FSX "native" just means that the model was created using the FSX SDK/ FSX features in Gmax and compilng for FSX using the FSX compiler. I never used the FSX compiler nor did I create the textures to take advantage of the bump mapping and other improvements on FS 2004. As it stands, Gmax does not like the latest version of Windows 10 (H2/1). I fired it up earlier for the first time in many years and spent over an hour getting it to just run and not crash to desktop. Whatever I do, the model will run in FSX like it does now. If I am unable to get Gmax to behave in Win 10, the discussion about what model format to use might be academic. The question was should I do a proper FSX "native" model or use the existing "format" (which runs in FSX)
    I see. I give major respect to anyone who uses(d) gmax to model. I could never get it down. I have moved to using Blender and other programs. But obviously, with your circumstance, that's not going to be possible or reasonable. I realize this makes it even more difficult to try and deal with the Windows challenges and such trying to model. In terms of the base model being built in FS8 format. I understand the base model is. However, the one available here on SOH has been converted using MCX to be FSX native, as it has DDS converted textures and the typical FSX native split interior and exterior models. This was what I was referring to in my post though.

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

Hi Guys. My name is Steven Wayne, and I was/am part of RCS Panels. (I did the 3D model (based on the original model by Brian Withers), internal/external textures and the gauge graphics on the B25.)
    Hi Steven

Nice to see to are still around and good to hear Roy has not passed away. Last time we had contact you were in the UK so I'm surprised to hear you went back to South Africa.
    Without you I wouldn't have the one below

Cheers.
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by Scorch00 View Post
    I see. I give major respect to anyone who uses(d) gmax to model. I could never get it down. I have moved to using Blender and other programs. But obviously, with your circumstance, that's not going to be possible or reasonable. I realize this makes it even more difficult to try and deal with the Windows challenges and such trying to model. In terms of the base model being built in FS8 format. I understand the base model is. However, the one available here on SOH has been converted using MCX to be FSX native, as it has DDS converted textures and the typical FSX native split interior and exterior models. This was what I was referring to in my post though.
    Still not sure what you are referring to. The split interior/exterior models are not unique to FSX, that is how I did the model from FS2004 onwards, but it is still, at it's core a FS8 model without any of the added features of either FS2004 or FSX. Unless you converted the model we supplied, it is still the same as it was when released. All of the textures "shipped" with the original RCS release were DDS format - so like I said, I am not sure what you are referring to. Anyway, I am not going to get into debates/arguments. The original RCS source Gmax model model I have which is what will be used for any development and compiled is not FSX native. However, it does not matter as it is unlikely I will be able to do any model work in the foreseeable future. Gmax will simply not run on the latest version of Windows. I spent a number of hours today trying to get it to work reliably. It is a graphics driver problem which unfortunately, does not appear to have a workaround. With the latest drivers in Win 10, when one in Gmax selects "hide selected", the small pop-up window where that appears does not go away once the selected object has been hidden. It actually lands up hiding everything, even if you minimize Gmax, that "pop-up window" is still visible on the desktop, thereby obscuring the view of the screen. The only way to get rid of it, is to close Gmax and restart. Trying to work like that is impossible. I can export the model into 3DS, which is stable, but, to do so is a major pain AND it does not export any of the animations, which would mean redoing every animation on the model from scratch. If I was not busy with my other project, I would have the time to investigate further and see if there is any new stuff out there which allows for Gmax models to be exported to 3DS in their entirety (animations included). So, until a solution for this problem is found, I am not able to do any development on the model. If I am able to get it across into 3DS, I will have to compile it as an FSX native model as I only have the P3D/FSX "exporters" for 3DS. Whilst this problem with Gmax is a blow, it is not the end. Like I have said, I have another project running which until it is finished, I have virtually no time to spare on FS related stuff, especially not as it is all being done as freeware. Textures I can do without an issue, I just cannot do a damn thing on the model right now. I will however continue to look for a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Hi Steven Nice to see to are still around and good to hear Roy has not passed away. Last time we had contact you were in the UK so I'm surprised to hear you went back to South Africa. Without you I wouldn't have the one below Cheers. Huub
    Hi Huub Glad to know you are still around in FS too. BTW, I did actually do quite a lot of work on the B25 as we were discussing at the time. I never got it finished though also due to time restraints and personal situations on my side, plus Roy started deteriorating health wise. It is funny you have posted the photo ... because the model I loaded into Gmax earlier today to try and get it working was "Sabrinah". I removed the top turret and some other stuff. If I am able to get Gmax/3DS working and am able to model work in the future, we must talk and look at completing Sabrinah! With regards to "coming back to SA", I did not actually "come back" so to speak. I came across for a work project which was supposed to last 3 months. I was supposed to return to the UK after those 3 months. Unfortunately, for numerous reasons, that was not possible and when I was finally able to return, the "pandemic" prevented that. Depending on what takes place in the future with regards to travel restrictions/requirements, I might very well have to remain here. Regards Steve

Does anyone know of a "Barbie 3" paint for this?
    Thanks
    Sue

FWIW ... I have a working FSX gmax in a Win 10 environment. I can also export a gmax model to 3DS without loss of poly structure, smoothing, name tags, pivots etc, but the animations are lost (as in your case, apparently). There is a program at FSDeveloper called 3ds-max-gmax-bridge that claims it gets anims across alright, but AFAIK it does so at the expense of triangularing everything:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/re...ax-bridge.182/

Getting the models into 3DS is a good idea if you ask me, considering any future development for MSFS. All those other sims are dead as the proverbial doornail. (Runs for cover.)

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    FWIW ... I have a working FSX gmax in a Win 10 environment. I can also export a gmax model to 3DS without loss of poly structure, smoothing, name tags, pivots etc, but the animations are lost (as in your case, apparently). There is a program at FSDeveloper called 3ds-max-gmax-bridge that claims it gets anims across alright, but AFAIK it does so at the expense of triangularing everything: https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/re...ax-bridge.182/ Getting the models into 3DS is a good idea if you ask me, considering any future development for MSFS. All those other sims are dead as the proverbial doornail. (Runs for cover.)
    Thanks for the info!! Gmax works fine in Win 10 - and I never had a days problem with it until that last major Windows update. The problem appears to be the graphics card/drivers that are now being used for the latest ver of Win and gmax. Basically, if you right click anywhere on the screen, the "pop-up" window that appears to select things like (hide selected) vanishes and flickers - and then reappears and does not close ..... so you eventually land up with a screen full of little pop up windows - all alike (reminds me of the original "Adventure" computer game in the 70's ... in the maze .. .twisty little passages all alike). Anyway, I will check out what you have posted. Sorry for the delay, I have been offline for the past 6 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    Getting the models into 3DS is a good idea if you ask me, considering any future development for MSFS. All those other sims are dead as the proverbial doornail. (Runs for cover.)
    Hi Manfred,

Are you aware that there is still a whole European Air War (1998) community, where still mods are developed.....

Cheers,
    Huub

Icon23

Hi Manfred,

Are you aware that there is still a whole European Air War (1998) community, where still mods are developed.....

Cheers,
    Huub
    No I was not - wonders never cease!

Hi Manfred,

Cheers,
    Huub
    Wow! That sim just won't die, will it? And for good reason. I spent many, many hours flying the offline campaigns back around the turn of the century. Left for the Il-2 series when I joined an online squadron.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Members who have read this thread: 1