Schiphol Amsterdam 1916 - 2016

Thread: Schiphol Amsterdam 1916 - 2016

Schiphol Amsterdam 1916 - 2016

Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is the largest airport in the Netherlands and an important airport in Europe. With 71 million passengers in 2018 was third busiest airport in Europe, after Heatrow (London) and Charles de Gaulle (Paris).

The airfield can be found in one of the largest polders from the Netherlands is roughly at 3.5 metres (12 ft) below sea level. In a museum I recently visited I saw this beautiful movie which shows the construction and changes of this airfield. The polder became dry land in 1852 and in 1916 Schiphol started as a small military airfield. During WWII is was used by the Germans for bombers and day fighters. Heavy bombing by the allied made the airfield completely unusable after the war.
    One of the biggest changes was the construction of the new terminal, which started in the early 60-ties. The original airfield became "Schiphol East" and is still part of the airport but is now used for private aircraft and business jets.

Enjoy the movie!

Cheers,
    Huub

Schiphol in FS2004

I have 3 versions of this airfield in various installs.

Schiphol 2000

The default airfield in FS2004 shows the airfield at the end of last century. There are some weird things, like an extra air traffic control tower, which has never been there. Buildings between runways which are not there. But in general, it gives a nice impression of the airfield.

Schiphol 1961

Available at CalClassic and flightsim.com. Part of the Central Europe 1961 package by By Wolfgang Gersch, Harry Biard, Michael Schneider, Jaap de Baare, Nikko Yaginuma, Tom Gibson, Bernard Leuenberger and Mike Stevens. This scenery is really stunning! This part is now used for business jets and private aircraft. The old traffic control tower is still there and used as a restaurant.

Schiphol 1940

A beta by Cees Donker shows Schiphol just before WWII. A replica of this station building can be found at Lelystad airport. I don't think it was ever released by Cees. But it is great and I really love it!

Cheers,
    Huub

Good shots Huub, passed through Schiphol a few time's myself, not many international airports boasts its own art gallery and actively supports a fantastic viewing area

Thanks Huub,

A nice potted history of an important airfield/port. The animated film is excellent.

Like Ian, been there a few times.

Cheers

Shessi

Thanks for the nice words guys.

The airport is inside the area in which I cycle a lot. Its roughly 35k from my home, a bit more than an hour (for me) to get there. The picture below I took during the first weeks of the Covid-19 lockdown. When all operators who have their fleet at Schiphol had most of their aircraft parked there. Here me in front the parking area of Easy Jet.

Cheers,
    Huub

Members who have read this thread: 0