Boeing 247D (Wing 42)

Thread: Boeing 247D (Wing 42)

Boeing 247D (Wing 42)

Maybe not all fans of MSFS know (especially good info for vintage flying fans) but Wing42 (Vega, Bleriot) works on Boeing 247D. Few days ago they did small preview of this model. You can check his blog here for more info:
    https://wing42.com/dev-blog-13/?v=9b7d173b068d

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Current status:

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Y0u can check this video with preview also: https://www.twitch.tv/theflyingfabio...PHE7uXs4nCi4bM

Personally, I cant wait for this model!

Beautiful!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

stunning, looks like it will be well worth the wait

- dcc
    - -

This was originally planned for a pre-Christmas release but the developer stated it might come a bit later. Based on what he showed during Fabio's stream, it will be absolutely worth the wait. The amount of detail is staggering, possibly the most authentic addon we'll see for some time!

Question

Authentic in looks or also in performance? E.g. does it model prop feathering to properly simulate single engine procedures? I hope so. As far as I know only the BB Islander and PMDG DC6 model this.
    Anneke

The FlyingIron Simulations P-38 also has functioning prop feathering, that works very well.

Quite an obscure type in this day in age, with none flying, but I've always liked the lines of the Boeing 247.

I feel fortunate I got to see the restored one fly into KGEG several years ago. It looked great in the United markings. It's a shame if it's not flying anymore. I'll be down for the sim version, it looks really good. Love the period magazines and newspapers.

Has he abandoned the Vega for FSX? Every time I have looked into it all I have found is enthusiasm for every thing but finishing what some of us paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by joe bob View Post
    Has he abandoned the Vega for FSX? Every time I have looked into it all I have found is enthusiasm for every thing but finishing what some of us paid for.
    That's exactly right. He charged $40 for an "early release" of the Vega for fsx and p3d then disappeared into complete silence for two and a half years. The plane was unflyable and nothing was heard from him....cash grab.

I am an enthusiastic vintage flyer, but I won't even consider this until I am certain from reliable reviews and forums that this thing is finished and in its final state...even then I will be a bit reluctant to deal with this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by joe bob View Post
    The below is from his FAQ page. His sales for it dried up completely and as of end of 2020 he'd only sold 500 Bleriots for MSFS (though I'm guessing that went up dramatically when it hit the Marketplace). He was getting zero income and his updates elsewhere on the site after that FAQ was written do mention he's continued working on it, but any work he does now is delivering on the initial promise to P3D users and isn't likely to make him any more income to live on.

What happened to the FSX/P3D Vega

TL/DR: She’ll get finished, but there’s more delays.
    The long answer:
    By the time Microsoft announced Microsoft Flight Simulator in 2019, the P3D/FSX Vega was already helplessly delayed. The reason for the delay is manifold and I wrote quite a bit about the struggle in our development blog. The problem was that with the MSFS announcement, sales for the Early Access Vega plummeted to virtually nothing. And in order for Wing42 to survive, money needs to be made. That’s why I made the decision to go full in with MSFS.
    I want to make it clear: this does not mean the development of the P3D Vega is abandoned! However, I need to secure the funding for the next round of development first, before we can move forward with her.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    The below is from his FAQ page. His sales for it dried up completely and as of end of 2020 he'd only sold 500 Bleriots for MSFS (though I'm guessing that went up dramatically when it hit the Marketplace). He was getting zero income and his updates elsewhere on the site after that FAQ was written do mention he's continued working on it, but any work he does now is delivering on the initial promise to P3D users and isn't likely to make him any more income to live on.

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    So it's OK that he took our money and left us with nothing? The community needs to be aware of the business ethics of the developers it deals with. I'm not sure shoddy developers need more apologists.

Not excusing it, just pointing out he has posted about the situation a couple of times in the past year, and does claim to still be working on the P3D version.

Obviously, I can only speak for myself on this but I don't personally regret the purchase of the FSX Vega. While many of the promised features haven't materialized or are incomplete there were some that were introduced that I didn't expect and have enjoyed a lot. I still fly it and have fun with it. While it was pretty basic initially, the dev did put out a number of bug fixes and new features. The most recent release from a year and a half ago (v 0.85.03?) is quite good. I'd love to see the full, Accusim-ish like levels of system/wear modeling if it were to get there. And incomplete features can be annoying. But, as-is I have an excellently modeled 3d representation of the Vega, a believable flight model, better-than-default systems and instruments modeling, and the aircraft state persists from flight to flight. Honestly I like flying it a lot more than some of the recent Asobo releases.

Understandably, not everyone is going to have the same feelings I do about what was delivered vs. what was promised. But I figure it is useful to have a few different opinions out there on this one.

Chris

How dare you counter with a reasoned, calm, balanced response, sir! This is the INTERNET.

But seriously, I understand the disappointment with the Vega release, I also understand the reality of the marketplace, and hopefully in the end we'll have an awesome 247D and great Vegas for MSFS and P3D both.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    How dare you counter with a reasoned, calm, balanced response, sir! This is the INTERNET.

But seriously, I understand the disappointment with the Vega release, I also understand the reality of the marketplace, and hopefully in the end we'll have an awesome 247D and great Vegas for MSFS and P3D both.
    Ha! I totally forgot this was the internet or I would have lit the afterburners!

Like you I also understand the reality of the market and I sure do hope there is a sufficiently large one for the 247D. It seems that due to development time/costs that there is a sense that the market for these kinds of aircraft is shrinking rather than expanding. Would be nice to have a lot of rumbly radials and whistling wires populating the virtual skies!

Chris

I figured any work done now for FSX would be for a product that would show no return, I find it hard to believe that anyone ever viewed it as more than a niche market within a niche market but apparently that was not the business model chosen.

I appreciate the economics of it now, and I don't really ever expect to see it finished for FSX (at least in the detail once promised) however think it would be a show of appreciation for those who trusted him to apply the money we paid towards the new version.

The 247 is looking great, perhaps the less flooded market for 2020 will bring better success.

Quote Originally Posted by katonic View Post
    Obviously, I can only speak for myself on this but I don't personally regret the purchase of the FSX Vega. While many of the promised features haven't materialized or are incomplete there were some that were introduced that I didn't expect and have enjoyed a lot. I still fly it and have fun with it. While it was pretty basic initially, the dev did put out a number of bug fixes and new features. The most recent release from a year and a half ago (v 0.85.03?) is quite good. I'd love to see the full, Accusim-ish like levels of system/wear modeling if it were to get there. And incomplete features can be annoying. But, as-is I have an excellently modeled 3d representation of the Vega, a believable flight model, better-than-default systems and instruments modeling, and the aircraft state persists from flight to flight. Honestly I like flying it a lot more than some of the recent Asobo releases.Understandably, not everyone is going to have the same feelings I do about what was delivered vs. what was promised. But I figure it is useful to have a few different opinions out there on this one.Chris
    You are not alone. My feelings exactly.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

While it is true that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, they are not entitled to their own facts. The last version 0.85 was not "a year and a half ago" it was April of 2019--two years and eight months ago.

This version of the plane in P3D 4.5 is not usable at all, crashing the sim after a minute or two of flight.

I am frankly astounded by the argument that he should not have to deliver what he promised (and took $40 for) if it would be more profitable to move on to something else. But as you say, the internet is a wacky place.

The real question is why he shut down the forum on his website and went into complete silence for two years...communicating nothing to the customers that were waiting for the finished product he promised.

It is this utter contempt for paying customers that says something about his reliability that some in the community may wish to know about.

Let's just say "Buyer beware" when it comes to this developer. The preview pics look promising, so maybe they will, maybe they won't deliver a good product. But since this thread is going the same direction that so many threads have gone in the past, I think it's best to just close it. If you'd like to follow the progress, use the link in the top post for their blog, and the link below for the preview page.

https://wing42.com/boeing-247
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Members who have read this thread: 0