Installing MSFS2020

Thread: Installing MSFS2020

Installing MSFS2020

Assuming all drives are SSD, and several empty drives are available for use in a brand new computer ...... is it better to :

1) install the app on C drive (with the OS and other apps), and the "rest" (community folders, etc.etc) on a separate, dedicated drive ?, or,

2) install both the app and the "rest" (community folders, etc.etc) on a dedicated drive which is not the main C drive ?

Why or why not ?

Confused.

(PS The system in my signature is my old FSX machine -not intended for MSFS)
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

I speak for my own sys. All SSD with MSFS installed on one 1T drive. I have a lot of ORBX and put it all on a different 1T drive. Putting the sim in a directory without a long file path precludes long filename errors. I have the rolling cache on a third drive just to have a larger space for it. After carefully picking and choosing option settings I have reached a point of zero CTDs in over 100hrs flying time.
    Note: disregard sys specs in my signature. Badly out of date for which I apologize.
    Best regards,
    Jim T.
    USAF ret. ECM (Old Crow)

I have installer the app and the "rest" on the same SSD drive, other than the drive that contains the OS.
    I don't want to make the OS drive too full or occupied.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Two trains of thought exist in the community :

1) If the MSFS app is installed on C drive along with the other W10 apps, (and the 'rest' on a separate dedicated SSD), it makes it easier for W10 to open/update it as its in 'default' location (?) .... not sure if this is a valid enough reason.

2) If the MSFS app and the 'rest' of the sim (community folder, etc.) are both on a dedicated separate SSD apart from C drive, then it's easier to 'protect' the sim in event of C (OS) drive failure (?) ..... makes more sense to do it this way and is also neater, no ?
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

Quote Originally Posted by MZee1960 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Two trains of thought exist in the community :

1) If the MSFS app is installed on C drive along with the other W10 apps, (and the 'rest' on a separate dedicated SSD), it makes it easier for W10 to open/update it as its in 'default' location (?) .... not sure if this is a valid enough reason.

2) If the MSFS app and the 'rest' of the sim (community folder, etc.) are both on a dedicated separate SSD apart from C drive, then it's easier to 'protect' the sim in event of C (OS) drive failure (?) ..... makes more sense to do it this way and is also neater, no ?

2 . Just install it in an own SSD 1TB , ( some of it will yet go to :C disk ) make a folder for it first "MSFS" , then when asked point to that , so if you have to reinstall W10 you won´t disturb MSFS or wise versa

Yes, installing both the app and the 'rest' of the sim on it's own dedicated SSD drive is probably the best route.

This keeps the sim protected from any Windows update issues, and makes it easier to move the sim install to another drive if space becomes an issue.
    Hopefully Orbx Central installers will play along nicely with this setup.
    Cheers, MZee ...

Just be sure to install the "rest" in a custom folder and not the insanely complicated and long path that MSFS lists as default. I have my MSFS core app on C: but the secondary files in F:\Flight_Simulator. Makes it MUCH easier to navigate to the Community folder.

Or there's option B: Install into the default location (helps avoid issues with files missing after updates - a known problem with some previous updates), then set a shortcut to the Community folder anywhere you like. I have mine in the Quick Access section of Windows Explorer, so that I can get to it from any folder window.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Or there's option B: Install into the default location (helps avoid issues with files missing after updates - a known problem with some previous updates), then set a shortcut to the Community folder anywhere you like. I have mine in the Quick Access section of Windows Explorer, so that I can get to it from any folder window.
    Hi Tom,

The missing files bug has long-solved. While the shortcut in Quick Access does make it easy, choosing your own directory makes navigation easier when installing third-party add-ons (where you don't have the pinned link) and helps avoid filename length issues for those who haven't done the registry hack to remove the path length limitations in Win 10.

There's no longer any good reason to choose the horribly long and convoluted default path on a fresh install. Just benefits to not doing so.

Like this tread knew what I was doing, good info gents as I finally said "might as well" and purchased. Interested in several new models on the way, but I was mainly waiting on the rotary side to catch up. Installing on the SSD with my P3Dv4.5 and DCS.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    Like this tread knew what I was doing, good info gents as I finally said "might as well" and purchased. Interested in several new models on the way, but I was mainly waiting on the rotary side to catch up. Installing on the SSD with my P3Dv4.5 and DCS.
    Yes.
    Too many threads exist about MSFS addons and various issues, .... but very few threads exist regarding "How to install MSFS2020 from the MS Store 'the way which will minimize issues down the road' " on a W10 computer. Right ?
    Cheers, MZee ...

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Just be sure to install the "rest" in a custom folder and not the insanely complicated and long path that MSFS lists as default. I have my MSFS core app on C: but the secondary files in F:\Flight_Simulator. Makes it MUCH easier to navigate to the Community folder.
    This is a good point, Denny. The MSFS app can be easily moved to another drive down the road, anyway.
    I think then having both the app and the 'rest' (in a custom folder) on a separate, dedicated drive is probably best, just in case C drive fails.
    Cheers, MZee ...

Now, with respect to MSFS updates......

I read in another thread that before running any updates, rename the Community folder to something else (or add a description like 'old'). Run the update, the open MSFS as if to do a flight, close MSFS, go to look for the update-created 'new' folder called 'Community', then delete this one and rename your original 'Community' folder back to same name.

Apparently this eliminates update issues which may pertain to addons and prevent MSFS from updating successfully.

Still, however, I think you would have to launch each addon after a successful MSFS update if truly want to find out they are all compatible with the update, as I don't think MSFS will tell you on it's own that addons X, Y, Z ,,,, etc are not compatible with the latest MSFS update version.
    Cheers, MZee ...

Good to know as I figure the sim out. Already had the "insert game disc 1" issue the very next day after flying fine on day 1. Ran through everything in on the Zendesk page to get going again. I feel like I have limited control going through the "Community" folder like adding/removing liveries and such. Years of being used to FS/P3D I guess.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

So I think this puts an end to disagreement about whether the recommendation should be to install the data files to a custom folder. Per the update notes on the official site about tomorrow’s SU6 update:

Expected flow for those in the Sim Update 6 flight Beta test when it is released to everyone tomorrow:
    Console users: Xbox will recognize you already have the build and there should be no update.
    PC users: You will have to re-update. If your content is in the default location, expect it to be wiped out and re-installed. If it is on a custom path, you will be able to point your update towards those files.

(Pardon the size, my iPad pastes weird.)

I’d suggest that anyone who has their MSFS in the default directory make a new folder like D:\FlightSim, copy the OneStore and Community folders into it, and then point the SU6 update to that folder, to ensure that MSFS doesn’t have to redownload 100GB of files.

Only for those who participated in the beta tests.

With so many MSFS users out there, you would think someone, somewhere, would have already offered a post outlining the most favorable ways to install the MS store version in W10, saving days of detective work for users with installation anxiety.

Thank-you, for your input and feedback so far, everyone. It is all very much appreciated !
    Cheers, MZee ...

I found some videos by 'CaptainAB' on YT which explain further the custom folder install, and general setup of MSFS 2020 :

https://youtu.be/OUyODh6VzNE

https://youtu.be/FQCEpugk0zI
    Cheers, MZee ...

Members who have read this thread: 0