Navigation Buoys UT

Thread: Navigation Buoys UT

Navigation Buoys UT

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Scenery - Library objects

Description: Navigation Buoys for CFS2 by UncleTgt

This project started when I learnt that the Basilisk Channel, leading into Fairfax Harbour, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea was ifdentified by a navaid buoy light, & that this light remained in place throughout the Pacific War.

Looking at the existing buoy models, I decided something different was required. The existing objects were all configured as ships, & this takes up one of the valuable ship model slot in the sim.

After some research I developed a series of infrastructure buoy objects. They are multiLOD, but non-destroyable. Each object includes a custom light effect file, as each cardinal buoy is identified by a unique flashing light sequence. These objects also have a fake wave effect added to the DP. It's not perfect, but it's the best I could manage for a static object effect. I also find the fake wave effect helps you to locate these objects from the air, as otherwise they can be hard to find until you're right on top of them!

To install, unzip the download to a temporary location & move/ copy files to the matching folder names inside your chosen CFS 2 install.

Thanks to

Allen for his Making Exploding Objects using FS2002 Tools & Tutorial
    Arno Gerretsen for ModelconverterX & FXeditor, such clever & versatile tools

This is freeware and subject to the usual conditions

UncleTgt
    SEP 2021

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Navigation Buoys UT
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Library Staff
    John, thanks very much for these great objects, along with the ship wreck and the ASV radar.

Perhaps the bell could be ringing in rough water to make them easier to find - just kidding.

Kev

Beautifully made. Many thanks UT

Hi UncleTgt
    Great idea.
    Well done with these.
    Cheers
    Stuart

Thanks Uncle , all of em nice additions ,

Thanks for these, I have one observation, the black and yellow for middle ground marks was only introduced in 1970's; ( they mark the North / East / South and West
    of a hazardous area), prior to that they were black, with only the top marks ( triangles) to distinguish their position
    relative to the hazard...you realise why they changed.

Ttfn

Pete

[QUOTE=Motormouse;1273397]Thanks for these, I have one observation, the black and yellow for middle ground marks was only introduced in 1970's; ( they mark the North / East / South and West
    of a hazardous area), prior to that they were black, with only the top marks ( triangles) to distinguish their position
    relative to the hazard...you realise why they changed.

Ttfn

Pete]

Thanks for the clarification Pete. These objects are difficult enough to find from the air as it is, + the nav buoys should be black only? Wow, no wonder things were changed!

I'll knock up a pre-70s texture sheet + add it to the zip.

Back shortly ...

All black navigation buoy texture sheet has been added as an option in the upload.

For those that just want the new texture, it's attached to this post.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Members who have read this thread: 1