Hawker Seahawk
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hawker Seahawk

Hawker Seahawk

I have been enjoying myself with Rob's Seahawk, making several paints for it.
    If you want to try the Seahawk, you'll have to send an email to Rob asking for it, as he feels it's not (yet?) good enough to publish. Personally, I think it is a wonderful model, and big fun to paint too. It just has such elegant lines.

So far, I've done a Royal Navy 897 squadron aircraft, as based on HMS Eagle during the Suez crisis:
    jk7999 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

and both the first:
    jk8038 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

and the second paintscheme for aircraft of 860 squadron of the Royal Dutch navy, as based on the HrMs Karel Doorman

jk8022 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

then an aircraft of MFG2 of the German Navy, as based on Schleswig AB:
    jk8078 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

and aircraft 077 of 300 Squadron of the Indian Navy, based on INS Vikrant:
    jk8091 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

and finally I've put a black tux on the Seahawk, for an aircraft of the Fleet Requirements Unit, based in Malta:
    jk8133 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

I think it looks good in black, so a few more pics:

Clip_89 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk8140 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk8149 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

anything else you want me to paint?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

Hello,

This model available? Free? Where?

Zsolt
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Quote Originally Posted by ZsoltB View Post
    Hello,

This model available? Free? Where?

Zsolt
    Send Rob (= robcarrich here on the outhouse) a mail

Fantastic work and the black does work well.

Very nice, Jan! Was that a full repaint or just a detail, wax, and buff?
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Oh yes, they are very, very nice repaints, Jan. Simply great. Will look to Robīs model.

Thomas

Brilliant paints jankees! can you let us know when and where they are available pleas? Thanks!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Brilliant paints jankees! can you let us know when and where they are available pleas? Thanks!

Priller
    I've just uploaded them here on the outhouse, so have fun!
    And if you guys like them, please post a screenshot here?

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    I've just uploaded them here on the outhouse, so have fun!
    And if you guys like them, please post a screenshot here?
    Oh, I will! As soon as they're available, I'll install all of them!

Thanks!

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

I'm in the process of updating the Sea Hawk and also the Meteor 8.
    I have had more requests than I had anticipated and will eventually get around to sending download links.
    As I am still very much on the Proverbial learning curve I would like to improve these models before letting too many go.

Rob

Rob,

The model look great. Thanks for doing this elegant fighter for MSFS. Once I will make the switch to MSFS, it will definitely be one of my favourites. I don't what you would like to improve but it already looks stunning. Is it possible to show something form the VC?

Thanks!

@Jan Kees, thanks for making your screenshots in recognisable areas.

The first shot most likely shows Bardawil Lake near Alexandra.

I recognise the coast from Katwijk near Naval Air Station Valkenburg, where half the Sea Hawks were stationed. There were two squadrons equipped with this aircraft, which rotated between NAS Valkenburg and the HMS Karel Doorman. I must have seen them, but I was too young to really remember. (I can nearly see my office, and a bit too much trees south of Katwijk.)

I recognise the Navy harbour of Den Helder. The Habour looks a bit "simple" but is amazing how realistic the area with dikes and canals looks in MSFS.

The area over which the German Hawk flies is more difficult to recognise. Could be Kiel, but most likely is at the other side of Denmark, the coast between Wilhelmshaven and Cuxhaven.

The screenshot of the Italian one could be taken any where in Italy, but I guess its taken above Sicily.

And finally the black one shows the harbour of Valetta in the background.

You see, I don't have MSFS (yet), but I'm already really enjoying it.

Cheers,
    Huub

Hi Huub,

you are nearly right!
    For the German one, I took off from Schleswig AB and headed west, so I'm around the North Frisian Islands.

The 'Italian' one is actually an Indian Navy aircraft and I'm flying over Pamban Island, between India and Sri Lanka.

Here's the VC:
    jk8034 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Wow, very nice VC as well!

Thanks for the reply JK. I should have know the "Italian" Hawk was an Indian one . Only a bit of logical thinking would already have made clear that Italian never flew the Sea Hawk.

Cheers,
    Huub

Thanks for these Jan - they look fantastic (as always).
    Cheers,
    Dave
    Cheers,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Wow, very nice VC as well!

Thanks for the reply JK. I should have know the "Italian" Hawk was an Indian one . Only a bit of logical thinking would already have made clear that Italian never flew the Sea Hawk.

Cheers,
    Huub
    The words "Indian Navy" on the rear fuselage are also a dead giveaway!

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by robcarrich View Post
    I'm in the process of updating the Sea Hawk and also the Meteor 8.
    I have had more requests than I had anticipated and will eventually get around to sending download links.
    As I am still very much on the Proverbial learning curve I would like to improve these models before letting too many go.

Rob
    if you're still on the learning curve, then the future is looking bright indeed Rob! Thank you so much for your models!

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

JanKees repaints are surely beautiful so I suppose I'll pull on my old flack jacket and post the Sea Hawk to-morrow.

Rob

OK, in that case I might as well add another one:
    jk8170 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk8176 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk8178 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk8185 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

The Admiral's Barge of No.781 Sqn FAA, based at RNAS Yeovilton

The next one must be a Red Devil or an Ace of Diamonds....

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by robcarrich View Post
    JanKees repaints are surely beautiful so I suppose I'll pull on my old flack jacket and post the Sea Hawk to-morrow.

Rob
    Yay.

Please do.

I got the Sea Hawk from the SOH library, nice job and thanks Rob! I like that you were able to preserve the instrument panel switches to turn on/off the visible drop tanks and actuate the tail hook.

Huub, Ace of Diamonds is one of Rob's default skins, so that is already taken care of.

I'd recommend tweaking the CG parameters in flight_model.cfg. As downloaded, it has CG_forward_limit=0.245 and CG_aft_limit=-0.5 (negative 0.5), and a comment saying these are "w.r.t reference datum." That is incorrect, the CG limits in MSFS are expressed in percentage of mean aerodynamic chord (MAC), where 0.0 is the mean leading edge and 1.0 is the mean trailing edge. The aft limit must be larger than the forward limit or you get some wild behavior which you'll see if you try to adjust the CG in the w&b screen when on the runway. Better values would be

CG_forward_limit=0.15
    CG_aft_limit=0.4

and I find that setting the slider at 25% MAC gives you decent flight characteristics and an appropriate posture when on the ground.

In my installation, the tuning knob for one the of the radios constantly spins and cycles through the frequencies. I think it is the NAV1 radio, but haven't determined whether it screws up navigation yet. Curious whether others see this, could be it's a "stuck key" associated with my controller setup.

Does the autopilot still work? I see that the three switches for PWR, HDG and ALT still work, although the ALT one won't turn off after I turn it on. It's not clear that they do anything but maybe I just haven't found the master AP switch.

Flight handling is nice, seems a little wild in yaw on the runway even though I see you have yaw stability dialed up to 3 in flight_tuning. I"m going to try mine on 5.

August

Members who have read this thread: 4