Cause I could! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cause I could!

Hey All,

Some nice cars here. My wife has a Yaris nothing like that one though. Here is my daily driver.

-Ed-Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210930_173718397~2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	448.8 KB 
ID:	84478
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Because I'm old I drive an "old fart's car" as my kids call it, like this one:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails d10d6d000a0d02b701d3ac6e297044df.jpg  

But, around a half century ago, I drove one of these badass "muscle cars":
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SS396 67.jpg  

Really nice machine!

Pre COVID the Cobra Car Club invited the GT40 Replica Owners Club (us) to a BBQ at Tyabb Airport and it was a good day.
    The 'Fake Snake' lot were obviously well disciplined and parked in a neat line, we GT40R people simply parked where ever we could.
    But they did look very good.
    I'd like to build up a Cobra Replica but only a 289 version, a much nicer car to drive than a 427 IMHO.

As for our GT40 Replica, it's as close as possible to one purchased by Yamaha after the 1967 (IIRC) LM 24 Hours, which was 'rediscovered' tucked away in storage at Yamaha around 1996 or so.
    Rather a cheesy photo but it was taken for the front cover of the club magazine.
    Not a nice car to drive on public roads since we tuned the 4 Weber carbs and fitted lumpy cams for better track performance ............. and it's really loud as well.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenhouse357 View Post
    Ferry, that Van has more external character than 80% of the vehicles I see driving around here.
    Not as much as our previous MPV though! Loved this Citroën C3 Picasso. but we needed more speed. Bought this after my garage wrecked my Kia Soul while investigating an engine warning light.. We were going on a holiday two weeks later and really needed a car. Never regretted buying the C3!

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

This is my 1986 F150 I bought new that I still have, but haven't driven since I bought the 2016 F150 (spoiled me). They are 30 years apart. The 2016 has a 2.7 V6 twin turbo, 325 HP.

Wombat, you have some stunning cars!

Mike, never heard of a Willys Falcon. Cool looking car though. I bet if it is still in existence, it would be worth a a fortune!

Ed, can't go wrong with a a jeep. Here in Florida, the jeep craze has gone wild again.

Oldmsgt, sweet Chevelle. Before covid, we were going to car show almost every weekend and seeing all those restored old muscle cars always did my heart good.

As a side note: Years ago here on this forum was a chap (Britguy) who lived in Shropshire if memory serves. He was very involved with the 357th F.G. like I was so there was a connection and we became friends. His sister lived in Orlando and he came to Florida to visit her. We got together on the weekend and he actually brought me a small piece of the original tarmac from Leiston! Well, I let him drive the '86 F150 by himself around the block since he didn't have a licence here. I can't remember how many times he went around the block but I couldn't hardly get him out of it lol.
    Greenhouse357

Wombat, I must have said this before. The GT40 looks stunning and I don't like the original German coiours from that period. So the Porsche is really nice, but the colour not exactly my taste.

The car below was not mine as it was paid for by the tax payers, but I drove it a lot. Now I don't drive it anymore because I have retired from the fire brigade. But I still think it was a quite sharp looking car.

My own car is quite a bit more down to earth. I hardly drive as I do most things on my bicycle(s). So its more or less my wife's car.

Cheers,
    Huub

Huub, did you get to drive round in the SEAT with lights flashing and siren blaring?
    'Officially' of course.

I recall you mentioned you weren't keen on the Yellow 911, she's almost leaving me for a new owner, due the the nature of the COVID epidemic there are plenty of cashed up buyers who seem to be eager to pay silly prices for 'Exotic' cars.
    Thankfully we've all agreed to sell off several of our cars and as this one is 'authentic' (including the color) and I have all the papers I am driving a very hard bargain, but the deal is almost done!
    Even though the GT40R is a trifle illegal as a road car I'll keep it, she represents fifteen years of workmanship and investment.
    Despite the temptation to take on stewardship of one of the 934 Turbos, I'll continue with this 911E, as I quite like the quieter temperament and the less conspicuous color, again a 'Factory' standard.

I need something to tinker with as we are still under a 'hard' lockdown.........................after I clean up the shed and tidy all the tools away!

Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Huub, did you get to drive round in the SEAT with lights flashing and siren blaring?
    'Officially' of course.
    That is what they were intended for. But it actually looks more exiting than it is. Flashlights and sirens have an odd effect on people. I have seen them do the weirdest things to get out of the way. So I preferred to drive this car without using them.

The 911E looks really nice (even including the colour)

Cheers,
    Huub

She's undergoing a transplant as soon as we can source a decent drive train, this is our first serious Sportmatic rebuild minus the nasty 'automatic' transmission.

I've never understood how any 'owner' of this type of car can neglect them: the following images are when we first took delivery.
    The decay extended quite extensively under the skin, that and the 'Sportmatic' drive train pushed our offering price way down.
    Stored (so the story went!) under a house in Portsea by the vendor's Grandfather, the inheritor thought he'd won the lottery, not so!

PS: The scruffy 911T shell in the corner has progressed to a far healthier state, COVID Lock-downs mean idle hands are kept busy with any projects that can proceed 'in house'.

Looks brand new now Wombat.
    Greenhouse357

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    That is what they were intended for. But it actually looks more exiting than it is. Flashlights and sirens have an odd effect on people.
    Cheers,
    Huub
    We often had flashing blue lights and siren blips in the mirrors when driving the GT40R to places like Philip Island, inevitably because the Highway Patrol were enthusiastic petrol heads wanting to know 'what was under the hood?' and 'how fast will it go?'
    One weekend it happened four times on the way and twice coming home.......
    Never ever for an infringement, 'Immunity' seemed to have been granted by the HP, but I'm not prepared to chance it with the car set up in full race mode these days.

And TY Greenie, hoping to get her completed by December.

Members who have read this thread: 0