Milviz Porter Released
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milviz Porter Released

Milviz Porter Released

They're calling it a "Stage 1" release with wheels, skis, and the stock G1000, while an upcoming "Stage 2" will have tundra wheels, floats, and stem gauges. Buy now and get the next release free, or wait and pay more.

https://milviz.com/flight/products/PC62020/index.php
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I've been tooling around with it for the past hour. I'm no Porter expert but I'm finding it to be very immersive and I've had to pause and study the manual several times already which is always a good sign. Note for anyone who might run into this issue: The stab trim is not mapped to anything (I wish it mapped to elevator trim, since stab trim isn't an option in MSFS). Furthermore, for whatever reason my Porter started with autopilot engaged (maybe I bumped something? I use the Honeycomb Bravo and the autopilot light was not illuminated so I'm not sure) which meant I couldn't adjust the stabilizer trim. After 10 minutes of scratching my head I realized the autopilot was on, and on altitude mode (what I had last used on the Bravo.) Still haven't nailed the beta dive but looking forward to mastering it. This is a pretty solid and fairly priced offering so far, and I look forward to the updates. For folks interested in another steam gauge version be sure to follow FSG's Porter on the official forums - theirs is a 3 blade prop, all steam, should be quite different enough to be work picking up as well (or instead of this) once it's out.

I haven't really spent enough time doing anything other than learning yet, but I'll say that thus far I've been very pleased with everything including visuals, sounds and flight model. I haven't tried a landing though... an accidental water landing, yes... but I won't count that.

Note also that this has a very lightweight DRM. It's there to prevent piracy, doesn't seem to take up any resources or cause any issues though.
    Last edited by LostPilot; September 23rd, 2021 at 21:00. Reason: clarification

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Enjoy, a lot o fun is here!

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Nicely done Vid YoYo,

Thank you for not using over-dramatic ridiculous orchestral music.
    I actually enjoyed the sound track you did use. Just right.

The aircraft looks very cool. I like the shelf thing under the main panel. Allows a chap to knock up a sandwich in flight or do the crossword, etc.
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

jk7485 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Yeah, I don’t know, DRM, no G1000 NXi compatibility, “Phase 1” release… Right now I’m liking FSG’s transparency. Think I’ll hold out for that one.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

I'm impressed. It flies well. I'm not crazy about the glass cockpit (will enjoy the steam gauges more)....and the external model is gorgeous.

Now if I could only get the Corsair to fly correctly and not roll onto a wing during landing or taxi....life would be better.

Kent

YES! I have had a Porter in every sim since 2000. In fact, I even built my own in every variant know. This is a GREAT deal. Buy part 1, get part 2 free. Can't beat that!! I'll be grabbing it later this morning. FINALLY a bush cargo plane. How about a NICE Beech G18S?

Don BP

It seems someone above threw out a flag for DRM. What is it and how does it affect our systems? This is something new. I Googled it, but it paints it broadly, not pinpointing the game or pc. Thanks for any input.

Don BP

How do the sounds stack up compared to the real deal? https://youtu.be/kEb74IquE1A and internally https://youtu.be/Tg0NUPp9o7I

Quote Originally Posted by Bushpounder View Post
    It seems someone above threw out a flag for DRM. What is it and how does it affect our systems? This is something new. I Googled it, but it paints it broadly, not pinpointing the game or pc. Thanks for any input.

Don BP
    Discussed pretty extensively in this thread: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...eased/456772/1

Short take - We don't know yet what the DRM consists of or if it'll be intrusive.

At this stage there are two possible objections - 1) I don't like DRM on principle, or 2) I'm worried about too much stuff running in background, especially if more and more DRM routines get layered on.

EDIT: There's also 3) I'm worried about security risks if the DRM opens holes in the system.

For me it's not a dealbreaker, just a point of concern. I'll keep an eye on it while I keep an eye on the competing Porters - am not committing to one yet.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Krazycolin from Milviz posted on the flightsimulator.com forum:

"We put the drm in play because, sadly, the Corsair showed up on the torrents two hours after release.
    This service is small and does nothing but make sure your purchase is good. Just like MS does with the sim."

So it probably "phones home" once as you launch the sim or start your flight with the PC-6, then shuts down.
    Having said that, surely a pirated copy will only be fully functional up to the next sim update?

The Autopilot seems to have a lot of missing function (I tried to get clarification in the documents and other postings but nothing so far). The A/P's Altitude function seems stuck on 99,000ft, no climb/descent function, etc. For me, I set the A/P on which will go straight into Altitude Hold and Heading Hold based on the selected heading (more or less a simple on/off A/P). Hopefully this will get fine tuned soon. Otherwise, it's a cracking model.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    The Autopilot seems to have a lot of missing function (I tried to get clarification in the documents and other postings but nothing so far). The A/P's Altitude function seems stuck on 99,000ft, no climb/descent function, etc. For me, I set the A/P on which will go straight into Altitude Hold and Heading Hold based on the selected heading (more or less a simple on/off A/P). Hopefully this will get fine tuned soon. Otherwise, it's a cracking model.

That might be from a conflict between Milviz's on-board G1000 and Working Title's G1000 NXi, if you have that installed. Milviz says in
    the Porter's product description:

Please note that at this time 3rd-party avionics such as the Working Title Garmin G1000 NXi are not supported nor recommended. This extends
    to any avionics mods or community fixes. Regarding the NXi specifically, as it matures and becomes more integrated into the simulator as per
    the NXi development roadmap, rest assured that we will work to ensure that it can be used seamlessly in the Porter.

Never saw this. Alt hold works 100%, VS works too (and automatic reaching a specific flight altitude), HDG works ok, NAV no issue (GPS and VOR). KP+G1000, no issue for me. Everything's all right.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_A View Post
    Discussed pretty extensively in this thread: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...eased/456772/1

Short take - We don't know yet what the DRM consists of or if it'll be intrusive.

At this stage there are two possible objections - 1) I don't like DRM on principle, or 2) I'm worried about too much stuff running in background, especially if more and more DRM routines get layered on.

EDIT: There's also 3) I'm worried about security risks if the DRM opens holes in the system.

For me it's not a dealbreaker, just a point of concern. I'll keep an eye on it while I keep an eye on the competing Porters - am not committing to one yet.
    Thank you, Alan. Nope, not a deal breaker. I grabbed it already! It's sweet. I appreciate the link and info.

Don BP

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Never saw this. Alt hold works 100%, VS works too (and automatic reaching a specific flight altitude), HDG works ok, NAV no issue (GPS and VOR). KP+G1000, no issue for me. Everything's all right.
    I removed all the Working Title items from my community folder, still to no avail. My guess is either I have a corrupted install or there is something the model is dependent on that another installed item is interfering with. I may do a full uninstall/reinstall of the PC-6 and see if that fixes the issue. If not, will have to try and find what is causing the issue.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yes, do this, with admin rights (important).

I removed all the Working Title items from my community folder, still to no avail. My guess is either I have a corrupted install or there is something the model is dependent on that another installed item is interfering with. I may do a full uninstall/reinstall of the PC-6 and see if that fixes the issue. If not, will have to try and find what is causing the issue.
    If you got the free WT G1000 NXi from the MSFS Marketplace, it won't be in your Community folder, it will be in the Official folder, You will
    have to disable through the MSFS Content Manager (it's listed in the Content Manager under "Garmin G1000 NXI").

I don't think it's a corrupted download since other people have reported the same problem on the AVsim thread, and the above has been
    the suggested reason.

For myself, I don't need the AP for the short flights I generally do, and since the WT's are needed for other planes, I'm just leaving the them
    in place and living with the PC-6's panel as is. It's still a really nice plane to fly, and IMHO well worth the current discounted purchase price.

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    If you got the free WT G1000 NXi from the MSFS Marketplace, it won't be in your Community folder, it will be in the Official folder, You will
    have to disable through the MSFS Content Manager (it's listed in the Content Manager under "Garmin G1000 NXI").

I don't think it's a corrupted download since other people have reported the same problem on the AVsim thread, and the above has been
    the suggested reason.

For myself, I don't need the AP for the short flights I generally do, and since the WT's are needed for other planes, I'm just leaving the them
    in place and living with the PC-6's panel as is. It's still a really nice plane to fly, and IMHO well worth the current discounted purchase price.
    Ahh, thanks for that clarification RobM. That was indeed to culprit.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm liking this thing a lot. Good work! Enjoying it from start-up to shut down. And I don't mind the glass pit. I'm going to wait for the problems with the upgraded Garmins to iron out through updates as they are not bugging me.

LouP

here's a few of my paints, just uploaded on flightsim.to:
    XIT 002 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

661 01 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

652 0003 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by jetstreamsky View Post
    How do the sounds stack up compared to the real deal? https://youtu.be/kEb74IquE1A and internally https://youtu.be/Tg0NUPp9o7I
    According me sound is very good here and they are recorded from real PC-6 (the same like for P3Dv4.5v). SimAcoustics did this job.

Members who have read this thread: 0