P-38L Lightning for MSFS - Released 9-30-21 - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: P-38L Lightning for MSFS - Released 9-30-21

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    meanwhile, I thought I'd try something else
    Apparently the Italian Air Force used P-38's until 1955!
    nice! It's great to see it with different country markings. I think I recall seeing a photo of a captured P-38 in German markings as well. I think they were also used by Honduran air force for a bit postwar. Also I have seen photos of a few "F-38's" in the USAF with the star-and-bars insignia.

- dcc
    - -

Here's the Italian one over my old fieldwork area in the Alps:
    IAF_006 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

IAF_003 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

and a link: https://liveries.to/jankees/lockheed...rce-4th-stormo
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

after updating to SU7 last night I'm seeing this semi-transparent rectangle over the standby compass. Anyone else seeing this? It seems to be light-related, in that it sort of disappears when in clouds or more diffuse lighting. In some lighting and at certain angles I can see a seat in its reflection, and I don't think it's the P-38's seat.

I've gone through all the textures and can't seem to figure out where this rectangle is. Thought I'd check to see if others are seeing it before I send a note to the developers.

- dcc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails compass.jpg  
    - -

I'm seeing the same.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

my next repaint -- a generic, factory paint scheme

- dcc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p38lplain.png  
    - -

SU7 broke it?

Did Sim Update 7 break the plane?

The plane no longer draws from the outer wing tanks and the mixture control lever used to have an extra 'step' for emergency rich that isn't separate anymore. When setting the selector switches to the outer tanks it results in the engines immediately being starved of fuel.
    The moment I reach 10,000ft both engines quit, manifold pressure drops, the props start win milling and the feather prop lights come on. Once I drop back below 10k feet the engines restart.
    And there's the texture glitch on the cockpit.

Anybody else having issues?
    And is there any word on a patch? I checked their website but there is no news, the support website doesn't even have a P-38 section and they don't seem to have a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    I'm seeing the same.
    Know I'm late but same here...

Quote Originally Posted by Panaka View Post
    And is there any word on a patch? I checked their website but there is no news, the support website doesn't even have a P-38 section and they don't seem to have a forum.
    They are active on there own Discord server, posted you question there.
    You can join via this link: https://discord.gg/Rbs7zAmr

Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by mgr View Post
    They are active on there own Discord server, posted you question there.
    You can join via this link: https://discord.gg/Rbs7zAmr

Marcel
    grumbles about Discord servers being the bane of finding things and communities on the internet

Thanks for that and thanks for the discord link.

edit:
    And now, for no conceivable reason that I can determine, everything works again.

multiple flight resets, multiple sim restarts and it kept doing weird stuff.
    Couple of hours later, after doing absolutely nothing, everything is working as it should.
    wtf?

Only bug left is the compass texture glitch.

I've had similar issues with the G1000NXi addon. For a few flights after the last update, the Direct-to function didn't want to work correctly until I deleted that pack and reinstalled it. But now my last few flights have worked correctly with no issues. I've given up on trying to replicate some of the things I've seen lately.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Panaka View Post
    Did Sim Update 7 break the plane?

The plane no longer draws from the outer wing tanks and the mixture control lever used to have an extra 'step' for emergency rich that isn't separate anymore. When setting the selector switches to the outer tanks it results in the engines immediately being starved of fuel.
    The moment I reach 10,000ft both engines quit, manifold pressure drops, the props start win milling and the feather prop lights come on. Once I drop back below 10k feet the engines restart.
    And there's the texture glitch on the cockpit.

Anybody else having issues?

I fly this practically every time I sit down with MSFS and haven't had any of these other issues you mentioned, just that rectangle over the compass. But I also have turned off the engine damage feature in the tablet which seems to disable some of the custom systems code (I don't care for VC switches, prefer to use physical buttons and keybinds. The starter switches are not set to respond to sim's starter commands, but I discovered if the engine damage is disabled you can use the sim's native starter keybinds to start the plane... )

But I have seen plenty of odd MSFS behaviors recently.

- dcc
    - -

Quote Originally Posted by dcc View Post
    I fly this practically every time I sit down with MSFS and haven't had any of these other issues you mentioned, just that rectangle over the compass. But I also have turned off the engine damage feature in the tablet which seems to disable some of the custom systems code (I don't care for VC switches, prefer to use physical buttons and keybinds. The starter switches are not set to respond to sim's starter commands, but I discovered if the engine damage is disabled you can use the sim's native starter keybinds to start the plane... )

But I have seen plenty of odd MSFS behaviors recently.

- dcc
    According to the manual you must have the fuel pumps switches (left on the seat) ON with the master switches and set to EMERGENCY when flying above 10000 ft. Did you check that?

Quote Originally Posted by ftl818 View Post
    According to the manual you must have the fuel pumps switches (left on the seat) ON with the master switches and set to EMERGENCY when flying above 10000 ft. Did you check that?
    I just finished talking to one of the Dev's on Discord. It was the booster pumps.
    With where the panel is located I forgot that it existed. When I started looking at the instrumentation to figure out what I did wrong I completely missed the booster pump settings.

Weird thing is that in the flight afterwards where everything worked as intended I still never touched the booster pump settings.

got notice that version 1.0.2 was released

from the email:

Update 1.0.2 focuses on fixing small bugs, improving sound, thermodynamics & the FlyingIron Tablet.
    • Removed SU7 compass "sticker"
    • Overhaul AI & multiplayer sound
    • Stats page added to the tablet
    • Custom CAT modelling (Carb Air Temp)
    • Working Yoke drop tank release buttons
    • Fixed pedal animation
    • VR Yoke support
    • AP keybinds and hardware support
    • Bunch of other goodies

- dcc

- -

This model is fantastic BUT the sound is still way off, makes it un-enjoyable for me as it sounds even less "twin" than some of the other twin models currently out. I wish it was easy to simply drop in sound folders but that is something Asobo changed to where we cannot. If we could, I'd use the V1710 sound from the P-40 that is out. At least it would sound somewhat in the ballpark. Honestly, I'd be fine with the legacy sounds of the Milviz P-38 which were the very best made for a FS P-38 model. Hopefully something will come along for the sound of this nice model.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

is anyone else having problems with the left engine after this update? It's really acting weird, it jumps rpms and the sound stutters, etc. I flew for a little while and eventually it smoothed out, but it did it all over again the next time, and again, and again...

here's a video of what I'm seeing and hearing

http://www.kazoku.org/xp-38n/dcc/fip38l102_left_eng.mp4

if no one else is experiencing this I'm guessing there must be some conflict with their custom code. I don't have much in my community folder though. (I sent them a query about this already)

I'm probably going to go back to the previous version. The compass rectangle was less bothersome.

- dcc
    - -

I've done one test flight, and I was experiencing the same issue, David. It went away, however, once I got up to takeoff power and was airborne.

Thanks John, glad it's not just me.

After removing all my add-ons (and still experiencing this issue), I isolated the problem to the file P38L.wasm, which I believe contains the custom code for the engines, etc. I swapped it with the one from the previous version and the problem went away -- the left engine speed is back to being smooth. Just finished a 45min flight and the model seemed stable with the older module, so I'm keeping it this way as a workaround. It seems, just as with anything MSFS, it's two steps forward, one step back.

My hunch is this is an attempt to add some cold engine roughness, as it seemed the jitter was timed with a rattle sound, and then it went away with time. If this is indeed what they are implementing, it's pretty clever.

BTW, I've sent this info to the developer.

- dcc
    - -

Thanks for the background, DCC! I haven't grabbed the update yet, but I just backed up the WASM file from my current version in case I want to slip it back into the new one.

well... I may have spoken too soon.

Many flights later and I've now seen the same behavior (just not as severe) using the previous wasm file, but only once. And when I restarted the flight it didn't do it.
    That got me to try putting the new file back in and seeing if restarting the flight would settle the behavior. It didn't the first time, but did the next.

So for anyone experiencing this, try restarting the flight if you see this when you start the left engine.

Other than this issue, glad to see another update to this great model, and hopefully there'll be more down the line.

- dcc
    - -

now available at flightsim.to

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lizzieV-2.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	505.4 KB 
ID:	85790
    - -

Big update just got released, change notes look very nice! 65 items in 7 categories. Flight model updated regarding compressability, new propeller model integrated, start sequence fixed. Quite a handful of system reworks indeed.

I'll have try it later after work, but I really look forward to it now!
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

Icon4 Update 1.1.0

Flyingironsim has released a pretty extensive update for the P-38: https://flyingironsimulations.com/bl...-now-available
    Greetings
    Tim

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Squeezed in a very short test. System handling feels a lot more convincing now.
    Looks like I might fly this one a lot more now.
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

Couple of things with the update. The prop discs seem very dark now and they flicker alot, especially at low RPM. Not to my liking, not very realistic. The engine audio is also very poor. Sounds like a badly tuned Cessna 150 now. It's like layers of the audio files are missing. I'll try a re-install, but this is not working for me.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Members who have read this thread: 2