F1: Netherlands.

Thread: F1: Netherlands.

F1: Netherlands.

Huub/Ferry,
    BIG CONGRATULATIONS to you guys & I imagine that there will be 24hr hour party there as well!!!
    I've never experienced it myself, but I bet there's nothing quite like having a driver from your country winning his/her home race!
    Cheers!

On a side note, man...GASLY!!!

Thanks Ed,

It was an odd week. I live not that far from the circuit and last Wednesday I already did a small recon ride on my racing bicycle. As the teams were already arriving, and the spectators to watch them as well, it was already very crowded. As my home town has several large (and luxurious) hotels. Several teams and celebrities were staying in my village.

When I was nearly home on Wednesday I saw a trucks from Alpha Tauri arriving at one of the large hotels. Formula One trucks and Dutch infra structure don't match. After he nearly had hit a lamppost, he needed to cross a "sleeping policeman" (Speed bump) however the trailer didn't have enough clearance.

Red Bull and Alpha Tauri were staying in the same Hotel (you see in the background of the second picture) and they had quite an audience of people trying to catch a glimpse of one of the drivers.

I saw Sir Jackie Steward, who stayed in an other hotel where my daughter-in-law works. According to her he was "quite a funny guy". Nico Rossberg stayed in the same hotel, it was because I knew he was Rossberg, but to be honest I wouldn't had recognised him even when I would had tripped over him.

What struck me most was the difference in habits between the drivers. Vettel had hired a small holiday house in Zandvoort, where he stayed with his family. And they lived the life of common German tourists and hardly anybody recognised them. I heard Charles Leclerc did more or less the same. Max drove the 18 kilometres between the hotel and circuit completely unrecognisable on a motorcycle, while Pierre Gasly covered the same distance on his racing bicycle. Other drivers completely avoided contact with the public and were transported by helicopter between their hotels and circuit.

The Dutch audience more or less expected that Max would get pole and would win. So actually he could only loose. The audience at car races is different than the crowd at motor races. At Zandvoort the majority came to see Max win, while motor audience is there mainly to enjoy the sport. I'm more a motorcycle man and mature enough to remember the Dutch successes in the 70-ties and 80-ties. In those day I was happy to see my favourite rider win, now I was relieved that Max didn't loose......

My village in completely covered with flags and banners telling me that my village is the home of the Champions. Well, for one day they are right!

Cheers,
    Huub

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    I didn't even watch the race live, I'm watching a rerun on the dvr now. Spend the afternoon outside in a forest, enjoying the beautiful weather today with my bride.

But a great day for Max and his fans.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Thanks Ed,

It was an odd week. I live not that far from the circuit and last Wednesday I already did a small recon ride on my racing bicycle. As the teams were already arriving, and the spectators to watch them as well, it was already very crowded. As my home town has several large (and luxurious) hotels. Several teams and celebrities were staying in my village.

When I was nearly home on Wednesday I saw a trucks from Alpha Tauri arriving at one of the large hotels. Formula One trucks and Dutch infra structure don't match. After he nearly had hit a lamppost, he needed to cross a "sleeping policeman" (Speed bump) however the trailer didn't have enough clearance.

Red Bull and Alpha Tauri were staying in the same Hotel (you see in the background of the second picture) and they had quite an audience of people trying to catch a glimpse of one of the drivers.

I saw Sir Jackie Steward, who stayed in an other hotel where my daughter-in-law works. According to her he was "quite a funny guy". Nico Rossberg stayed in the same hotel, it was because I knew he was Rossberg, but to be honest I wouldn't had recognised him even when I would had tripped over him.

What struck me most was the difference in habits between the drivers. Vettel had hired a small holiday house in Zandvoort, where he stayed with his family. And they lived the life of common German tourists and hardly anybody recognised them. I heard Charles Leclerc did more or less the same. Max drove the 18 kilometres between the hotel and circuit completely unrecognisable on a motorcycle, while Pierre Gasly covered the same distance on his racing bicycle. Other drivers completely avoided contact with the public and were transported by helicopter between their hotels and circuit.

The Dutch audience more or less expected that Max would get pole and would win. So actually he could only loose. The audience at car races is different than the crowd at motor races. At Zandvoort the majority came to see Max win, while motor audience is there mainly to enjoy the sport. I'm more a motorcycle man and mature enough to remember the Dutch successes in the 70-ties and 80-ties. In those day I was happy to see my favourite rider win, now I was relieved that Max didn't loose......

My village in completely covered with flags and banners telling me that my village is the home of the Champions. Well, for one day they are right!

Cheers,
    Huub
    Interesting....
    Good to hear that the drivers were afforded some degree of privacy......

Still orange smoke going on now?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    But a great day for Max and his fans.
    Indeed!
    Better than Olympic Gold would you say?

I thought this was some pretty cool artwork!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	241047976_2449493438528033_4346326940017275983_n.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	341.6 KB 
ID:	84234

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    Indeed!
    Better than Olympic Gold would you say?
    I wouldn't know, not much of a sports fan.. And the concept of cheering for someone just because you both happen to be born in the same country has always seemed odd to me.

As for the Max' fans.. I doubt most of those watched F1 before may 2016, and when Max is no longer on top, the grandstands at Zandvoort will be a lot less packed and the event will go down the same road it did in the eighties..
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

I watched it on the Kayo streaming service out of curiosity more than anything else.
    Certainly agree with Ferry, however, the 'instant fan' syndrome is nothing new, and the nationalistic following is typical of almost all of that group of people.
    It always seemed strange to me that 'sports' of all flavors appear to be conducted along the lines of warfare, the blight of the 'Soccer Hooligans' is probably the most visible...................

Addendum: That didn't actually come out the way I intended.
    I certainly aren't implying that the 'Orange Crew' are wrong to be supportive of Max, but I've seen the same sudden enthusiasm for a driver explode in similar circumstances.
    The Schumacher mob, Nigel-Bloody-Mansell's 'Brits', Senna 'worshippers' and even Valentino's 'Yellow Army'.
    Human nature reigns.

One comment during the event at Zandvoort that amused me...'The pit bays and the entry is very tight'.....not really, the 'cars' are simply way oversize!!!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Back when I attended F1 on a regular basis, Lotus with first Jochen Rindt, then Emmerson Fittipaldi were my favourites. I also cheered on Matra (the V12 version). What a beautiful sounding motor! You could hear it for miles, erm Kilometers now when it revved up....
    Matt

Icon2

Quote Originally Posted by aeronca1 View Post
    Back when I attended F1 on a regular basis, Lotus with first Jochen Rindt, then Emmerson Fittipaldi were my favourites. I also cheered on Matra (the V12 version). What a beautiful sounding motor! You could hear it for miles, erm Kilometers now when it revved up....
    Here ya' go!!

I fully agree with Ferry. But I think the end might already be there sooner. Now Formula one is broadcasted by Ziggo, which is the most common provider in the Netherlands. Next year the TV rights for the Netherlands are with the Swedish Nordic Entertainment. So far nobody knows how to watch this provider and when F1 disappears behind a decoder I wonder how many people will remain watching F1.

However last week I spoke with an older Dutch hard core Ferrari fan, who told me he would start to visit the F1 again when this whole Max hype was over again.

Cheers,
    Huub

A little off the subject.
    Bottas was hired by Mercedes not to win races, but to do whatever it took to help Hamilton win the races.
    Why would anyone agree to this?
    I would think every driver would do his best to win every race they were entered in.
    What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyjo View Post
    A little off the subject.
    Bottas was hired by Mercedes not to win races, but to do whatever it took to help Hamilton win the races.
    Why would anyone agree to this?
    I would think every driver would do his best to win every race they were entered in.
    What am I missing?
    Bottas was crucial also for constructor's championships as well.
    But I would debate that Bottas had more leeway than Eddie Irvine, Mark Webber, and Felipe Massa ever did.....

IMHO, Botta's main problem was that he couldn't cash in on his Pole Positions like Nico Rosberg did.

'Team Hamilton' have announced that Bottas will not be employed by them next year and the man himself has signed with Alfa Romeo.
    Obviously that means George Russell will be driving for 'Team Hamilton' in 2022, a move that will likely scupper his F1 career, not that I (just me, myself) rate him.
    Shame that the 'Iceman' is retiring (again) at the end of the year but it's time.
    And at least Fernando is continuing to show how flair and style is still part of some drivers repertoire.............
    To us old school racers the current cast of 'EffWun' pale into insignificance alongside Fangio, Clark, Brabham, Villenueve, Moss, Fittipaldi, Lauda and the best of the best to not win a title, Ronnie Peterson.

MotoGP makes F1 look ordinary, at Silverstone the first six places were filled by six manufacturers, with Aprilia taking their first podium of the four stroke era.
    'Maverick' Vingales will be making his debut for Aprilia this coming weekend and I certainly won't miss that.

I'll get orf me soapbox now.

Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    I'll get orf me soapbox now.
    Now you are of your soap box again. I think domination ruins the sport, I think this is valid for all sports. MotoGP also became a lot less interesting when you already knew in advance that MM would win on his Honda....

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    Here ya' go!!

Thank you!! Sounds great even when driven at such a leisurely pace!
    Matt

Agree Huub, and I hope Fabio doesn't run away with the series.
    He certainly demonstrated both speed and racecraft at Silverstone, which is admirable.
    I think Marc has shown great tenacity since his return, I'm certainly hoping he can get back to full fitness and take it to Fabio, either one can win as long as we get epic racing.
    This weekend should be interesting, especially with Maverick returning on the Aprilia, while the rest of the field could throw up a surprise or three.
    Hopefully Rins has broken his string of disasters and can join the front-runners again, Suzuki could use more podiums.
    Be good to see Remy Gardner in the top tier next year, a 'Name' that resonates with us Aussies.

Well, I am one of those who have been following F1 racing for over 30 years (now I'm feeling really old...). So, Yes, even when there wasn't a Dutchman involved.

I had my adrenaline pumping seeing all that orange this past weekend. I know us Dutch folks go all bananas when it comes to sports events where countrymen and woman are involved. But I think that makes us unique.

Where else do you see a country stand behind their sportsmen like we saw this past weekend. And I am sure Max is not leaving F1 any time soon.

I for one am looking forward to more of this competitive racing. We finally have an actual battle for the championship going on.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Members who have read this thread: 0