SODE Animation

Thread: SODE Animation

SODE Animation

I have wanted to have a flag that would not just wave but follow the wind direction. Well I wrote the xml and of course it didn't work for me the xml novice. I posted over at FS Developer and Bushpilot who helped me with the mower and the snowplow at KASH came to the rescue and corrected the errors in my code and sent it to me corrected. Since it was working, I was able to change the models for the other two flags that I had created for the airport and here is the successful result. I changed the wind speed and direction twice in FSX Custom Weather and they followed the changes.

Nice work; it always pays off to keep pressing on, even when things get discouraging --

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

Thank You

The animated flag is actually the work of Dietmar Loleit who created the flag which is available for download at AVSIM with instructions on how to change and place it. Back in 2018 when I was creating Hawthorn AAF in WWII we had emails back and forth. At that time he admitted that it only waves and did not follow the changes in Wind Direction. Since (with considerable help) I was able to do this, I am going to share it here (ONLY) with his renewed permission. He allowed me to share the flag with the AAF upload. I have sent him a new email and after 5 years I hope its a good addy. In June of 2020 my email provider of 15 years gave up the ghost to economic pressure and I had to change everything to gmail. I am also working with a lot of help on a package that will have the flag only visible from 08:00 to 18:00 local time to simulate that it has been lowered until the next morning raising.

UPDATE: I remembered when I did NAS Alameda and created the sound effects for morning and evening colors, that the colors are lowered at sunset NOT 18:00 hours every day of the year, it varies. For Alameda I was able to find the USMC sunrise and sunset pub that they use which is still available for all USMC bases and obviously pertains to Army, Air Force and Coast Guard stations located in the same areas. More later in a new thread for this with the new SODE Flag.
    Last edited by tgycgijoes; September 3rd, 2021 at 11:40.

Nashua Boire Field Park

Here is a screenshot of the Airport Park. All objects like the prop monument and the firehouse are created in Sketchup and then converted to bgl's with Model Converter X. Thanks again Arno. I want to thank my "SODE Mentor" Mike aka "Bush Pilot" at FS Developer who has been tutoring me and correcting my mistakes in xml code so that my Sim Object Creations work in FSX like they are supposed to where they are supposed to. Here according to Google Earth are the results placed at the airport. Checkout the KASH Nasua Boire post for more about this.

The New Animated Illuminated Windsock

This is the totally due to my tutorage by Bushpilot-Mike at FS Developers who has taught me so much about SODE by showing me everytime what I did wrong so that I could learn just how to use it. We had a beautifully animated windsock to place at Nashua-Boire and then I discovered in AIRNAV that it is illuminated. He illuminated it and here are the results. It is placed to the right at the beginning of Runway 32 with SODE. Here are the three states: Day-Dusk-Night controlled by the time in the sim.

Not Satisfied

There had to be a way for these flags to not be "flying in the wind" constantly, windsock don't so I approached Bushpilot with the challenge and he created the way they can be properly animated. They are "still" when there is no wind and they are waving when there IS wind. Here is a screenshot of the result. The U.S. Flag at the KASH Firehouse is animated this way as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0