INSIGHT:How a modernized Zandvoort kept its old-school flair

Thread: INSIGHT:How a modernized Zandvoort kept its old-school flair

Lightbulb INSIGHT:How a modernized Zandvoort kept its old-school flair

I watched P1 and like the revamped circuit very much!
    At first glance it looks like an extended skateboard park!
    However (there's always one!) if ever there was the perfect illustration of why one lap single car qualifying should be instigated Zandvoort is the template.
    Be a hoot to race F3 cars there but F1 'cars' are too big and unwieldy.
    And I'd love to see MotoGP get a run there as well.........................................
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    And I'd love to see MotoGP get a run there as well.........................................
    That would definitely be nice!

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    It used to be fun there, strolling through the dunes with an excellent view of the track almost everywhere around the track. Now the dunes are gone, replaced with tarmac and if there are no extra grandstands like this weekend, all you can see are fences. They will probably not see me there anymore...
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

I have seen Jim Clark win the 1967 Dutch GP there in his formidable and extraordinairy beautiful Lotus 49. I have seen the equally beautiful 1960's Ferrari's (LOVED the Sharknose!), BRM's, Brabham's, Cooper-Maserati's, Cooper Climax's, Honda's, McLaren's, Eagle Weslakes and so on. And next to Jim Clark Jack Brabham, Jackie Stewart, Graham Hill, Phil Hill, Dan Gurney, John Surtees, Chris Amon, Denny Hulme, Jochen Rindt und so weiter and so on. I feel very priviledged to be able to say that. The ultimate "Grand Prix Legends" ! (tremendous fun it was to try and play the computer race game of the same name ! ;-)

The situation at Zandvoort then is almost incomparable with what it is today. I'd almost dare to say that today F1 GP's are driven by supertalented kids playing a sophisticated computer race game at which the're all excessively good. I'd even find it hard to compare them with my thrilling yesteryear F1 GP Heros. I mean, what Max, Lewis, Valtierri and their companions are driving are not so much race cars as they are computers, i think... (mind you, this all very much in the context of "I'd almost dare say.." please do very much take that into account..;-)

Still, i also dare say (without any restriction this time..) that i also had an excessively great time watching the Dutch GP at Zandvoort yesterday. I watch every F1 GP on TV, in fact i pay 15 euri monthly just to be able to do that, but i do find them usually a bit...well... boring.... I mean it has been Lewis, Lewis, Lewis ad nauseam and again Lewis, Lewis, Lewis ad nauseam for quite some time now, hasn't it. Just wonderful that has been changed quite a bit with Max coming round the corner and double that because it is a fellow countryman of mine of course. ( i haste to say that in the FI 60's GP's it usually has been Clark, Clark, Clark ad nauseam just the same.. )

I still think there seems to be indeed some of the magic of the fabulous 60's left. It pretty much struck me to see that it is quite an unusual race track compared to today's other F1 GP race tracks. But it's also true that it is probabely the first time i see the famous Zandvoort race circuit on TV for the first time. Atleast 'in action'. And what action it was !!

Members who have read this thread: 0