Help with add-on.xml and FSX aircraft

Thread: Help with add-on.xml and FSX aircraft

Help with add-on.xml and FSX aircraft

Hello.

I am trying to use the Just Flight Battle of Britain FSX add-on (2010 vintage) in P3Dv5.2 using the add-on.xml method as all my add-ons are on a different drive. This works well with most add-ons, but if I use it with the aircraft from the Just Flight Battle of Britain expansion set, the aircraft don't show in the vehicle selection window.

But if I copy the aircraft folder into P3D/SimObjects/Airplanes, the aircraft show in the vehicle selection and the aircraft fly nicely in P3Dv5.2.

Does someone know why it doesn't work using the add-on.xml file, but works if copied (or linked) directly into P3D?
    Thanks, Peter

I've had some add-ons in P3D that just work better that way.

Could also be that some of the file dependencies are hard coded to look in folders off the root of the sim rather than somewhere remote.
    Fortunately P3D is still very similar to FSX in the folder system.

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    I've had some add-ons in P3D that just work better that way.

Could also be that some of the file dependencies are hard coded to look in folders off the root of the sim rather than somewhere remote.
    Fortunately P3D is still very similar to FSX in the folder system.
    Indeed, the P3D file structure is very similar to FSX, but with only the SimObjects folder in the add-on.xml file I thought it should work.

The good news is that I found the issue. I use Aircrafter Aircraft Manager (a rather old 2007 freeware app) to manage my FSX aircraft hangar and this app also did not show the Just Flight Battle of Britain FSX add-on aircraft (but they did show in FSX-SE menu).

So the most likely culprit has to be the aircraft.cfg file causing this. And so it was.

I noticed (by comparing with other aircraft.cfg files) that entry below was completely missing or had no value after the =.
    atc_type=Messerschmitt
    atc_model=BF109

Adding the relevant values, the aircraft now show in Aircrafter Aircraft Manager and also in P3Dv5.2 using the add-on.xml method!

No idea what these entries actually do.
    Cheers, Peter

Hi,
    But what about the 32 bits gauges like "jf_spitfire_guns.gau" and "jwb_wep.gau" ? Do you have a replacement?
    JMC

I would say they don't work as not x64 versions. But all the flying gauges and undercarriage retract gauge work as they should and I have no idea what they are actually doing.

There is no switch click sound in the cockpit, but this is also the case in FSX.

Looks good enough for me to fly the Hurricane and Spitfire prototypes and the early marks with two bladed props.

There are better P3Dv5 native models available with much more system depth of the Hurricane and Spitfire Mk.I, but these oldies are fun to just go for a spin.

Cheers, Peter
    Last edited by skylineapa; September 5th, 2021 at 07:20.

Members who have read this thread: 0