Problem with Flaps Control

Thread: Problem with Flaps Control

Blog Entries

Problem with Flaps Control

Hi,
    I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem that I'm having with setting the flaps in the simulator. I'm using a Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS controller and I have the Flaps control bound to the "Increase Flaps" and "Decrease Flaps" settings in the sim (I have tried other settings) but the problem that I'm having is that I can only select the Flaps either fully down or fully up.

When I load a flight it starts with the flaps partially extended but once I alter them it reverts back to the fully extended or fully retracted state. There's no problem with my Warthog because it works fine on other simulators.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ian

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IanHenry View Post
    Hi,
    I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem that I'm having with setting the flaps in the simulator. I'm using a Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS controller and I have the Flaps control bound to the "Increase Flaps" and "Decrease Flaps" settings in the sim (I have tried other settings) but the problem that I'm having is that I can only select the Flaps either fully down or fully up.

When I load a flight it starts with the flaps partially extended but once I alter them it reverts back to the fully extended or fully retracted state. There's no problem with my Warthog because it works fine on other simulators.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ian
    I had the same issue. Setting flaps using FSUIPC cured that for me. I use the same setting and the flaps will lower according the the flap setting of the airplane currently in use.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Those bindings are intended for momentary push buttons. There are two flaps axis options: -100 - 100 and 0 - 100. I'm guessing one of those will work.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I am not experiencing your problem. I'm also using the flaps increase/decrease pushbutton mappings on my X56, and they increment the flaps up/down one stage at a time, as they are supposed to.

I think your controller is the problem. See the thread below. I think the Warthog flaps control is not a momentary switch, i.e. it does not send just one up/down button press, it sends a bunch of them or a continuous stream. It seems that Warthog users have had to map to a different button or to an axis with this controller to get flaps to work.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5...ork-gradually/

August

Yeah, you basically have two solutions: Press flaps down once and immediately return it to the center indent, or map it to something else. I have mine mapped to my red thumb switch on the right throttle. It's a much better spot for flaps anyways in my opinion since you can operate them without taking your hand off the throttle.

Blog Entries
    Many thanks for all your replies, it looks like I'm going to have too disregard the dedicated Flaps button then. Oh well, it's not the end of the World.

Thanks again,
    Ian

Maybe you can use the flap switch for something else. Non-momentary switches are at a premium on my X56, even though the thing is festooned with switches of all shapes and sizes, there are only a couple that are read by the PC as being continuously pressed. Those can be used as mode changers for other switches, similar to a SHIFT key, because MSFS has the ability to use two simultaneous buttons to define a command. If it has distinct up, neutral, and down positions that are read as continuous presses, it could potentially give you 3 different functions for every other switch on that unit.

August

There is more settings if you look in "ALL" not Assigned .... for everything .

HB
    Last edited by Brytskiva; August 31st, 2021 at 15:08.

Members who have read this thread: 0