Vickers Wellesley - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vickers Wellesley

Library Staff
    Hi Huub,

Here it is in CFS2. There is a bit of variation in colour for each of the dark green and dark earth textures. Is this intentional or is CFS2 at fault? in any case, the aircraft looks fabulous.

Cheers,
    Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vickers Wellesley.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Hi Kevin,

The textures were saved in 32bits format, I wasn't sure whether CFS2 can handle this format. When CFS2 can work with this format, you can of course place them under CFS2 Skins as well.

Thanks,
    Huub
    CFS2 don't support 32 bits format. The best conversion would use Extended 565 bitmap.

Pepe

Library Staff
    Hi Pepe,

Thanks for that - I made the conversion and now the textures are perfect.

Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vickers Wellesley.jpg  

Looks nice Kevin I'm glad you like it.

Will you upload the 16-bits version as CFS2 repaint, or do you want me to do it?

Cheers,
    Huub

Nice. can you tell me what scenery that is in background?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails well.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by demile View Post
    Looks like stock scenery modified by Bill Lyons GW3,
    I expect Huub will be along to explain.

Ttfn

Pete

No problem with Huub's repaint (looks great) but I'm not seeing any gauges in the VC. 2D panel is OK. Has anybody else noticed this?

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    There was a Bf-109 too. IIRC they were from IS4G.
    Is that Bf-109 out there somewhere?
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by demile View Post
    Hi Demile,

As I play too much with my scenery and textures, this is a difficult question to answer for me. The screenshot was taken over Australia, somewhere along the border between the Northern territory and West Australia. As you have a very nice mixture of sand dunes and vegetation over there.

The textures could come from Vista Australis v1.8 Final Scenery Pack or they could also come from ORBX converted. See the links under the YouTube movie in this thread: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...nearly-perfect
    It could also be that they came with Golden Wings as the screenshot was taken in my GW3 install, but I consider this less logical.

When you want to fiddle with Vista Australis, I should warn you as it behaves like weed and along with replacing default autogen in Oceania, you might end up with palm trees in London. In the past I made a separate VOZ v1.8 install, from which I just copied the parts I really wanted to have in my other installs.

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    No problem with Huub's repaint (looks great) but I'm not seeing any gauges in the VC. 2D panel is OK. Has anybody else noticed this?
    I haven't checked the version which is available here at the SOH as I have installed the Wesseleys from my FS9 back-up library. But both the Mk.I as the Long Range version have working gauges in the VC.

Cheers,
    Huub

Library Staff
    Looks nice Kevin I'm glad you like it.

Will you upload the 16-bits version as CFS2 repaint, or do you want me to do it?

Cheers,
    Huub
    Hi Huub,

Would you mind uploading it so it will be in your name? Normally I can do it and get Rami to change it from my name to yours. He is busy at the moment with a change of job and abode.

Here are the amended textures.

Thanks,

Kevin
    Attached Files Attached Files

Kevin,

I've taken care of it, available now, thanks for the conversion. Knowing Huub, you'll have plenty more to do .

Library Staff
    Thanks Jamie!

I haven't checked the version which is available here at the SOH as I have installed the Wesseleys from my FS9 back-up library. But both the Mk.I as the Long Range version have working gauges in the VC.
    Cheers,
    Huub
    Huub, thanks for your response. I re-downloaded the Mk.I from SOH and the VC gauges now show up with the original panel.cfg and also your 1024x1024 cfg. Another one of those flight sim "gremlin" type things, I guess.

In the 1930s long-distance record-breaking flights were very much in vogue, capturing the publics imagination all over the world. With the Wellesley, the RAF had an aircraft that had the potential to break the point-to-point record. The combat range of the Wellesley (with a bomb-load released at the mid-way point ) was some 1,300 miles. However, the geodetic structure of the Wellesley gave ample space for extra fuel-tanks and it was hoped that refinement in the engine would cut fuel consumption to bring the record within reach. So the RAF set up a special unit based at Upper Heyford called the Long Range Development Unit (LRDU) with a complement of five Wellesleys to explore the possibilities.

The LRDU Wellesleys were modified to carry three times the fuel of the normal Wellesley, the undercarriage being strengthened to support the extra weight. The aircraft were fitted with special Bristol Pegasus XXII "LR" engines that ran on 100 octane fuel and had their superchargers modified to give maximum fuel economy at cruising altitude. The engines were mated with new, constant speed propellers and housed in NACA cowls that were, in turn, merged to the lines of the fuselage for extra drag reduction. The aircraft also had a rudimentary autopilot fitted. These aircraft were given the Vickers type number 292.

For the attempt to break the world distance record, a route from Ismailia in Egypt to Darwin in Australia was chosen. The route went over territories that would not present any diplomatic problems and would also demonstrate Britain's ability to reinforce its assets in the Far East. The runway at Ismailia had to be lengthened to enable the heavily laden Wellesleys to take off. To save weight the crews did not take any parachutes with them, and all oxygen equipment was stripped from the aircraft. On the 5th November 1938, three Wellesleys took off from Ismailia for the attempt. Two of the aircraft landed at Darwin on the 7th November having flown the 7,175 miles from Ismailia in 48 hours 5 minutes. The third aircraft ran short of fuel and had to land on the island of Timor, but even that was still more than the existing Soviet distance record. It refuelled and quickly rejoined the other two aircraft at Darwin. This was a huge success for the RAF, featured prominently in the newsreels and newspapers of the times.

All three aircraft then did a "flag-waving" tour of Australia. Sadly two of the aircraft crashed in the course of the tour, one of these had to be abandoned where it had crashed (it was later retrieved and used as an instructional airframe by the RAAF). The other crashed Wellesley was dismantled and sent back to the UK by sea. The remaining airworthy Wellesley was also shipped by sea but to Egypt.

Source:https://www.dingeraviation.net/wellesley/wellesley.html

I have finished the repaint depicting the aircraft with registration L2680 flown by Flt.Lt A.N. Combe. One of the 3 aircraft which flew to Darwin.

Cheers,
    Huub

Very nice Huub, looking forward to it.

KEVIN

Wellesley Mk.I LRDU L2680

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Military skins - World War II

Description: This package contains a repaint depicting the Vickers Wesseley Mk.I LRDU L2680 flown by Flt.Lt. A.N. Combe, during the long-distance record-breaking flight between Isamlia (Egypt) and Darwin (Australia) in November 1938. To use these textures you should have the CFS2 version Vickers Wesseley LRDU by Jeff "Jed" Marsh installed in FS2004. This model works flawless in FS9 and is available in the library of the Sim-Outhouse. An alternative panel configuration file is included, which will sharpen the gauges in the VC in FS2004.

A small warning; Jeff has done this model with authentic fuel capacity, which will bring the aircraft well over its maximum allowed load from a normal Wellesley. It therefore is quite challenging to fly this aircraft with full tanks.

Credits go to Jeff "Jed" Marsh from Padbury aircraft for making this wonderful model, to Martin Wright for his dtxbmp tool, whithout which these textures wouldn't exist and to Shessi for making me do this repaint.

This should be it.

Enjoy
    Huub Vink
    September 2021

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Wellesley Mk.I LRDU L2680
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

The repaint for the long range version is available.

As the title already explained I have uploaded a repaint for the Jed's long Range version of the Wellesley. Jeff Marsh has done this model with the fuel capacity for the long distance record braking flight. So you will need quite some runway to take off and the aircraft is difficult to handle with all tanks filled. All those, who plan to fly from Ismalia to Darwin, I wish you luck!

Cheers,
    Huub

Excellent, as always!

Thanks, but a question , is it possible in fs9 to get rid of the Lod model for cfs2 .?

Quote Originally Posted by vinci View Post
    Thanks, but a question , is it possible in fs9 to get rid of the Lod model for cfs2 .?
    Are the Lods causing any problem? I have both the FS9 as the CFS2 version of this model and at first glance the .mdl look exactly the same. Although I don't know which version I have installed, but I can assure you, I don't have any problems with the model.

Cheers,
    Huub

Now, that's down right gorgeous Huub!

Many thanks..

Cheers

Shessi

Thanks for the nice words guys and I'm glad you like Shessi, as you were the one who told me wee needed this repaint

Cheers,
    Huub

You're getting better and better Huub....

The shadowing of the stretched fabric over the geodetic frame is superb, gives it a real 3D effect.

And see folks, this is a great example of taking an old model and breathing new life into it, making it far more useable and improving the quality of Fs2004.

Cheers

Shessi

The LOD's make this a pretty good candidate for AI also.

As for removing them, possible, technically possible, yes. Easy, not really without a decent amount of time and decent knowledge of MCX/FSDX/GMAX/SCASM/HEX/ETC. Not sure anyone would volunteer (I wouldn't, lol) as the LOD's shouldn't really cause much of a problem, if any.

Jamie

Members who have read this thread: 1