Wingmen Droptanks

Thread: Wingmen Droptanks

Wingmen Droptanks

While flying missions with drop tanks, enemy fighters spawn. I drop my external tanks, order wingmen to "Attack", they do attack but do not drop their tanks and continue flying the rest of the mission with them attached. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by _486_Col_Wolf View Post
    While flying missions with drop tanks, enemy fighters spawn. I drop my external tanks, order wingmen to "Attack", they do attack but do not drop their tanks and continue flying the rest of the mission with them attached. Am I missing something?
    After you give them the command to attack the wingmen should arm the drop tanks,mine do.Next have them rejoin and give the attack command again,they should now drop the drop tanks.I did a post on this awhile.

TheBookie

Icon5 Don't know for sure

Mine do too, but it may depend on the aircraft. I remember long ago in a stock Lae campaign mission, I took a screen shot in which my wingmen (stock F4F-4s) were dropping theirs. I admit I haven't noticed that since, but I never looked.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Bookie, I'll give that a try. If that does not work then perhaps Shadow Wolf is right. There may be something in the .CFG or .Air files that makes a difference. Either way I'll keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    Mine do too, but it may depend on the aircraft. I remember long ago in a stock Lae campaign mission, I took a screen shot in which my wingmen (stock F4F-4s) were dropping theirs. I admit I haven't noticed that since, but I never looked.
    Usually on the screen it says drop tanks dropped,at least for me.The time they wouldn't drop was with one of the P-40's,I don't remember which one.

TheBookie

I can see that one being a tough cookie , to solve , because of the differences in air file construction
    regarding gas tanks entries ---

first the unknown entry , should be , 0,1,2,3 ---??? and the reason what each means ??

The number of primary tanks ----example 1-6 , -- most people borrow from a working air file ,
    a center drop tank from a 109 for an example , may have tank number 1 , and the drop tank ,
    older vrs of air ed , you have to read the hex coding , first line number 02 -- for the drop
    tank 109 , and it functions ok --
    but if used with 4 primary tanks , set to the hex 02 ,drop tank ,may cause improper function ,
    not catch able from player view point , but the A1 malfunction ,

The point being 2 x 02 tanks , one a primary , one a drop tank , could cause Ai to screw up ,
    for that reason I try and set the drop tank hex a consecutive higher number in tank placement -
    changing the value hex code from 02 = 05
    Weather or not it really helps , I think depend,s , on s short script mission test file ,
    4 player , drop tank , air start , verses 1 Ei , -- so many people could run the same
    test , swaping in air craft , to test , tank options , and drop Ai compatibility ,
    hopefully we find some answers -- MB doesn,t like me right now - I swore at it ,

Any offers ?

Sarge,

I have gotten AI to drop their tanks on Wildcats,Hellcats,Corsairs,P-38's,moat P-40's,F-80,F-86 and the Panther using the method I described.There are probably more planes it has worked for me but it's been 20 years since I've flown some planes.

TheBookie

OK, so I created a test fighter sweep mission in which you spawn in the air, fly a few miles and then enemies spawn. Your planes are armed with guns only and drop tanks. I tried the following commands to get your AI wing men to drop their tanks with the following results:

Drop your tanks, command wing men to attack...AI do not drop tanks
    Drop your tanks, command AI to attack, rejoin attack..AI do not drop tanks
    Arm your tanks, command AI to attack, drop your tanks...AI do not drop tanks
    Arm your tanks, command AI to attack, rejoin, attack drop your tanks...AI do not drop tanks
    Arm your tanks, drop your tanks, command AI to attack...AI do not drop tanks
    Arm your tanks, drop your tanks, command AI to attack, rejoin, attack...AI do not drop tanks

I've tested all of these conditions with stock planes (Hellcat) and D/L'd P-51D's and under no circumstances do wing men drop their tanks.

I also checked my .Air files for my D/L'd P-51D and tanks are numbered accordingly and set correctly for internal (1), external (2):
    Left main-1, (1) internal
    Right main-2, (1) internal
    Fuselage internal-3, (1) internal
    Left drop tank-4, (2) external
    Right drop tank-5, (2) external

Unless anyone see's something I'm missing...I'm stumped.

I just did a mission with Hellcats with drop tanks.I dropped my tanks,targeted an aircraft and had the AI attack and than rejoin and attack again.I than flew to check each AI aircraft in my flight and they all dropped their tanks.I repeated this with a wildcat and p-38 and they also dropped their tanks.

You have to have a plane targeted or it may not work.

Did you fly to check your wingmen to see if they dropped their tanks?

I did only because tanks armed and dropped came up for my aircraft only.

TheBookie

I haven't tried it while targeting any specific A/C. I just use the "Attack" command and let them chose their own targets unless I need a specific A/C shot down. I did check my wingmen and none of them dropped the tanks. Maybe MS should have made a wingman command that makes them drop their tanks. I'll keep trying and see whay happens.

Every plane I've tried using the method I described has the AI wing men drop their tanks.Talon is the person who told me about this method many years ago,he also made a post about it.

TheBookie

OK, flight of four with four E/A, targeted E/A, hit "Attack" once, recalled wingmen, hit "Attack" once...wingmen 3 and 4 dropped tanks and went in. Targeted another E/A, hit "Attack" once, wingman 2 went in without dropping tanks. I'm not sure if recalling wingmen after lead flight "Attack" would call them all back. So, it does work for 2nd element but not for 1st element if you have to recall it again.

Members who have read this thread: 0