Iranian Tomcat paint posted on Flightsim.to

Thread: Iranian Tomcat paint posted on Flightsim.to

Iranian Tomcat paint posted on Flightsim.to

I just saw this, and couldn't resist making a comment about it on the listing. Not sure if someone will complain about my comment, but I just couldn't stop myself NC

Oh, and by the way, Go Navair!

https://flightsim.to/file/19606/iran...ert-camouflage

My name on the website is AMEC1987

My comment was, "Finally, a good target drone aircraft!" Note the reply to my comment, and subsequent reply to it.

The first reply to my comment :

"whatever you say old timer"

My reply to him:

If you're lucky, you'll be one some day. I am proud to say I worked on many Cold War era jets,as a egress (ejection seat maintenance mech). The mighty Tomcat wasn't one of them, but I worked on several types in squadrons alongside them, such as the A-7E. I did manage to get a backseat ride in a F-14A at Patuxent River in 1974. 3.5 hours of kickass. Better than any roller-coaster ride in existence. Most incredible experience in my life!

Last edited by Navy Chief; August 25th, 2021 at 18:10.

NC, you know by now to not feed the trolls right? Good looking paint and even in DCS I feel bad if I do target an Iranian Cat. Bit jealous of your rides during your career as I was so close to my re-enlistment F-14B ride off the boat. Settled for a S-3 ride.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    NC, you know by now to not feed the trolls right? Good looking paint and even in DCS I feel bad if I do target an Iranian Cat. Bit jealous of your rides during your career as I was so close to my re-enlistment F-14B ride off the boat. Settled for a S-3 ride.
    Oh, I do know my comment would get a response. Along with all the Communist China scenery being posted, I just had to do it! NC

Trolls mostly know to stay away from this place!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Your little joke was funny, Chief. I'm glad to have the Iran skin in the game, not just as a target. As a maintainer, you've got to hand it to those guys in Iran who kept those birds in some semblance of flyable condition for so long, despite every effort by the US to prevent them from doing so. Probably one of the most epic military aircraft maintenance achievements ever.

August

Icon28

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I just saw this, and couldn't resist making a comment about it on the listing. Not sure if someone will complain about my comment, but I just couldn't stop myself NC

Oh, and by the way, Go Navair!

https://flightsim.to/file/19606/iran...ert-camouflage

My name on the website is AMEC1987

My comment was, "Finally, a good target drone aircraft!" Note the reply to my comment, and subsequent reply to it.

The first reply to my comment :

"whatever you say old timer"

My reply to him:

If you're lucky, you'll be one some day. I am proud to say I worked on many Cold War era jets,as a egress (ejection seat maintenance mech). The mighty Tomcat wasn't one of them, but I worked on several types in squadrons alongside them, such as the A-7E. I did manage to get a backseat ride in a F-14A at Patuxent River in 1974. 3.5 hours of kickass. Better than any roller-coaster ride in existence. Most incredible experience in my life!

Just feeding the trolls who probably didn't care other than to get a reaction out of you. Thanks for linking the repaint though, I will have to check it out but not for drone target purposes. Probably pretty rough keeping those 2 or 3 jets flying. Better sortie rate than our older lot Rhinos I hate to say.

Quote Originally Posted by GO_Navy View Post
    Just feeding the trolls who probably didn't care other than to get a reaction out of you. Thanks for linking the repaint though, I will have to check it out but not for drone target purposes. Probably pretty rough keeping those 2 or 3 jets flying. Better sortie rate than our older lot Rhinos I hate to say.
    According to Flight Global's 2021 review of the world's air forces, the Iranians have 26 active Tomcats. However, while Flight Global is a highly respected news source within the aviation world, I don't think there's any way of verifying their figures, and 'active' is open to interpretation - e.g. still on squadron strength, but awaiting spare parts.

FG's review, in PDF format, can be downloaded here: https://www.flightglobal.com/download?ac=75345

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    According to Flight Global's 2021 review of the world's air forces, the Iranians have 26 active Tomcats. However, while Flight Global is a highly respected news source within the aviation world, I don't think there's any way of verifying their figures, and 'active' is open to interpretation - e.g. still on squadron strength, but awaiting spare parts.

FG's review, in PDF format, can be downloaded here: https://www.flightglobal.com/download?ac=75345

Yup, tracking this. Order of Battle numbers vs sortie/combat ready jets are different things obviously as we both know.

In most healthy squadrons, you may have 12-15 jets to make 10-12 mission ready. I'm sure over half of the Iranian F-14 "fleet" is for spare parts while the other half probably has 10-20% mission ready rate. Who knows for sure...just a thought based on age of those jets.

US Navy had almost identical scheme:

I agree, something like a third to half of the quoted number is probably about what they could put up if they had to make a special effort for a show of force, let's say for a parade or something. Which is a nicer thing to think about than a war, obviously. I don't think they are "waiting for spare parts," those have not been forthcoming for a long time, it is a case of progressive cannibalization, and the total number airworthy is determined by which essential part is in the shortest supply and would require creating one more hangar queen.

I'm sure there have been some really inventive uses of duct tape and chewing gum keeping these things going for this long, and I would love to read a first-hand book or article on the subject, but I don't suppose we will ever see one.

August

Members who have read this thread: 0