Microsoft Flight Simulator: Reno Air Races Teaser - gamescom - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Microsoft Flight Simulator: Reno Air Races Teaser - gamescom

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Is the Pitts any good at aerobatics you think ? Can it do a Knife Edge Pass ? (that would be a first in FS!).
    I honestly don't know. I don't think I have the skill to do that maneuver, and although I have never been able to do a knife edge in the Pitts S-2 or Extra, I didn't know if that was because of me or the airplane. But all of the planes in the Reno module seem to be able to fly at extreme bank angles for a long time, possibly to a physics-defying extent, so maybe.

August

Personally, I think the Extra is better than the Pitts for Aerobatics, but neither are great. It's oddly difficult to do a hammerhead in either aircraft, for example.

If you want aerobatics, the Got Friends Gee Bee R3 Special is about as good as it gets right now. Flat spins, hammerheads, knife edge, you name it this thing can do it. It's also very fast, has a nitrous button to go even faster, smoke, good assortment of avionics and a fantastic 3d model.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    A slight problem with painting the P-51A is that the 3D rivets, spread across the aircraft, all share from a selection of just a few colors, and they are setup only for the default "Mrs. Virginia" texture. You can see this issue in Jankees' recently released repaint, where there are white rivets where there is no longer supposed to be any white paint (i.e., everywhere that there is white-painted markings on the Mrs. Virginia scheme).
    Interesting. I just had a look at the rivet texture files, and I think I see what you mean. You could change, for example, the insignia blue rivet to any other color you wanted, but all of the rivets that are now insignia blue would always have to be the same color as each other.

What if you just deleted (made transparent) some of the rivets in the rivet albedo texture? You'd still have the comp and normal rivet textures, so the rivets would still show up faintly in the right lighting, but they'd be the same color as the underlying paint?

August

Yeah, I've been playing around with the P-51A textures this morning, and fortunately you can delete the 3D rivets, simply by blacking out the alpha channel for them (as you also can with the stars & bars and other decal markings). This is fantastic, as it will now allow for the RAF and XP-51 themed paint schemes I'll be doing. The impression of the rivets is still present in the normal maps (which I might work on creating some new ones, with correct rivets/panel lines).

I've got a basic polished metal paint scheme on the P-51A now, in the beginning of my process of working on recreating the current paint scheme and finish of Dusty Dowd's "P-51A" 43-6006, N51Z, which has been made out to look like XP-51 '1039'. Next will be the silver-painted elements, followed by the markings.

Yeah, I've been playing around with the P-51A textures this morning, and fortunately you can delete the 3D rivets, simply by blacking out the alpha channel for them (as you also can with the stars & bars and other decal markings). This is fantastic, as it will now allow for the RAF and XP-51 themed paint schemes I'll be doing. The impression of the rivets is still present in the normal maps (which I might work on creating some new ones, with correct rivets/panel lines). I've got a basic polished metal paint scheme on the P-51A now, in the beginning of my process of working on recreating the current paint scheme and finish of Dusty Dowd's "P-51A" 43-6006, N51Z, which has been made out to look like XP-51 '1039'. Next will be the silver-painted elements, followed by the markings.
    That's outstanding news. Anything you create I'll be downloading.

Excellent. And here I was proud of myself just for figuring out how to delete the horse head marking and Ed Maloney dedication on the base scheme. Looking forward to your fine work as always, John.

August

Well, an unfortunate update - the N51Z/XP-51 type paint scheme won't work, as the canopy framing, which should be bare metal, shares a common area as a section of the top of the cowlings where the OD glare shield is. I will still try and see if an RAF paint scheme might work well enough.

been working on a P-51A repaint, to be posted soon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Microsoft Flight Simulator 11_24_2021 3_00_35 PM.jpg  
    - -

Well, an unfortunate update - the N51Z/XP-51 type paint scheme won't work, as the canopy framing, which should be bare metal, shares a common area as a section of the top of the cowlings where the OD glare shield is. I will still try and see if an RAF paint scheme might work well enough.
    It's really annoying that asobo hardly ever thinks about repaints for their models. The Ju-52 was also less than ideal.... The T-6 seems to work reasonably well so far luckily.

jk10329 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Hmm. I have some stupid/ignorant suggestions.

If you had to leave a silver patch on the anti-glare panel that was small enough, it might not be the end of the world. Could even pass it off as weathering.

I guess you could still do Gerry Beck's plane. No anti-glare panel. Otherwise it'd hard to think of a metal/silver P-51A that would work.

Nobody can add or reposition decals in an MSFS model without the source file, right? That could be useful for patching something like this.

[/stupid ideas]

August

I'd love to have a paint kit for the Harvard, can anyone show me how to paint with Blender? I can't even import the .gltf LOD00 without an error, and that's step#1! It's hard to be sitting here not able to paint a lovely RCAF livery. Might as well do my dishes then...

I've got a basic polished metal paint scheme on the P-51A now, in the beginning of my process of working on recreating the current paint scheme and finish of Dusty Dowd's "P-51A" 43-6006, N51Z, which has been made out to look like XP-51 '1039'. Next will be the silver-painted elements, followed by the markings.
    My prayers are answered!

Well, an unfortunate update - the N51Z/XP-51 type paint scheme won't work, as the canopy framing, which should be bare
    metal, shares a common area as a section of the top of the cowlings where the OD glare shield is. I will still try and see if an RAF paint scheme might work well enough.
    There is no god!

I'm so sorry to hear that John, I was really excited to see N51Z's new form in this as she's my favourite Mustang currently flying.

Not that I have the sim or a graphics card decent enough to run it, but that's beside the point...

I feel like we'll be seeing more and more of this type of thing from ASOBO. Mainly because it's XBOX now. And there's no repaints in XBOX, unless they're from the developers...for a price. At least in the other games I've played on xbox. So I highly doubt they give 2 shakes about repaintability. Hopefully that's not true. But seems like they're trying to pump out as much content as possible....it'll be hard to keep it all quality controlled at this pace.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    So I highly doubt they give 2 shakes about repaintability. Hopefully that's not true. But seems like they're trying to pump out as much content as possible....it'll be hard to keep it all quality controlled at this pace.
    at least they are consistent, there's always mirrored or doubled textures (P-51A, Ju-52), and the T-6 is no exception it seems:
    jk10346 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

the flap textures are mirrored with another part of the wing apparently

but I did get rid of the white rivets on the P-51A after John's remarks:
    jk10356

of course, now I have a few green rivets that should be grey...and suddenly, the sim insists on inserting navigational aids, that I have not been able to lose just yet....never a dull moment
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

The P-51A was made by Blue Mesh (of Caudron fame) and they have been responsive to comment, prominisng a fix to the prop textures issue...maybe worth contacting them on this issue?
    Meanwhile I'd be perfectly happy with a few rivet/frame issues for now

Hi,

Maybe already noticed, yet you can assign the new pilots of the Reno-pack to other planes if you want.

Example:

Marcel

These are updated versions of the indexed screen shots of the Reno racer cockpits that I posted a few days ago.

The update is that I have added the N-numbers of the real aircraft to the legend in the images.

This is useful because Asobo forgot to put the individual N-numbers in the cfg files for the planes, so if you fly them in the regular sim, ATC calls all planes of each type by the same tail number. For example, if you are flying a P-51, ATC will always call you N44727, which is Man O War's N-number, no matter which P-51 you are flying. If you want ATC to call you by the tail number that is painted on your skin and printed on your cockpit placard, you have to type that number into the Customization options when choosing the aircraft in the World menu. The images now tell you what N-number you should type in for each plane.

If you don't fly these planes in the general sim, dont interact with ATC, or don't care what ATC calls you, there's no other change to these images and you don't have to download the new ones.

August
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P-51 Panels.jpg   T-6 Panels.jpg   S-1 Panels.jpg   L-39 Panels.jpg  

Small update today via content manager. No change log though so...*shrug*.

Apparently it was just some stuff for the racing part, and nothing with any of the airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by azflyboy View Post
    Apparently it was just some stuff for the racing part, and nothing with any of the airplanes.
    Indeed, only the folder "asobo-airrace-renorace-ui" was updated.

PS Found the change-log:
    https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...heating/477807

Quote Originally Posted by mgr View Post
    Indeed, only the folder "asobo-airrace-renorace-ui" was updated.PS Found the change-log:https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...heating/477807
    Funny, several people employed exploites to gain an unfair advantage in the game. Halarious, because it is not that good of a race simulation.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Funny, several people employed exploites to gain an unfair advantage in the game. Halarious, because it is not that good of a race simulation.
    If there's a competition, someone will always find a way to cheat. The leaderboards on the landing challenges are a perfect example. I consider myself a decent pilot, but at best, I usually get a low six-digit score on most of those challenges. So how the heck to people post scores in the high seven-digit range? I don't even bother with them anymore...
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Gentlemen, I have read about it somewhere, but now I can't find where. How to change a pilot into a military uniform?

Go back into your settings where you picked a different default pilot and restore that to default. It should allow the sim to use the pilot included with the plane.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Go back into your settings where you picked a different default pilot and restore that to default. It should allow the sim to use the pilot included with the plane.
    Thank you, Tom.

Members who have read this thread: 1