Microsoft Flight Simulator: Reno Air Races Teaser - gamescom - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Flight Simulator: Reno Air Races Teaser - gamescom

In the end I bought the low end pack, as buying just one T-6 ad one P-51D would set me back by the same amount, and who knows, I might even get to fly an Albatross..

I removed the awful paintjob on the P-51 (yugk!)
    jk10231 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

but the layout is not that paint-friendly, so I'll postpone that till later.
    Meanwhile, the T-6 is a lot friendlier, so I started with something relatively simple to get the hang of the layout:
    jk10249 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk10256 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

still a lot to figure out, but slowly getting somewhere..
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by Txmmy83 View Post
    love the Reno full collection
    here is my Race Record
    Attachment 85242

best regards,
    Thomas
    That's an impressive record so far. I was in the top 100 in the biplane category for most of this weekend, but fell out of it by the end. I doubt I will ever get there again. Those top rankings are going to go to people who put gobs of time into the DLC and run a lot of races, like any other multiplayer game. I will never do that. But I will drop in now and then, maybe try to upset a few high-ranked players.

By yesterday, I was having trouble finding races with more than 2 or 3 opponents. I have to wonder how popular this will be. I can already feel that my racing will likely trail off before long. I was disappointed that there's no engine management in it. Engines never blow up. Prop pitch affects RPM but doesn't seem to affect speed. Leaning the mixture, which I would expect might wring out a few knots at Reno's altitude, doesn't do anything; in fact the mixture of the planes, at least when using the Reno mode uniform flight model, seems to have only two settings, auto rich and idle cutoff. So in a race you just shove everything forward and all you do is steer. I guess this is to avoid conferring an "unfair" advantage on people who know how engines work. But it makes the experience a bit one-dimensional. I would also prefer if a crash or collision ended your race, I get the feeling some guys are just playing bumper cars out there.

August

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    In the end I bought the low end pack, as buying just one T-6 ad one P-51D would set me back by the same amount, and who knows, I might even get to fly an Albatross..

I removed the awful paintjob on the P-51 (yugk!)
    jk10231 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

but the layout is not that paint-friendly, so I'll postpone that till later.
    Meanwhile, the T-6 is a lot friendlier, so I started with something relatively simple to get the hang of the layout:
    jk10249 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk10256 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

still a lot to figure out, but slowly getting somewhere..
    If you locked yourself away & produced some of your 1st class liveries for the T6, I cannot foresee any reproaches from this forum.
    T43

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mugel View Post
    Is the store showing a discount for the full package when you have the base pack?
    Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    I would like to know that also. I am tempted to get it but 60$ seams a bit much if I am unsure, trying out the base for 20 seams reasonable as long as its not money down the drain if I get the full package.
    At the moment, no. I am not seeing one in the marketplace. But prior to release the developers stated there would be an upgrade path, and one of the Community Managers on the forums mentioned on Friday that there will be an upgrade path and he is reaching out to the marketplace team to get confirmation on what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    I noticed this morning that the Reno DLC puts a folder in your Official/OneStore folder called "asobo-aircraft-p51d-reno-claylacy-passive". That folder contains what appears to be a nearly complete variant for Clay Lacy's famous purple N64CL, including a model, panel cfg file, and textures.

Maybe Asobo will drop us the files to activate this plane in an update some day, or maybe someone cleverer than me will be able to figure out how to make it active. At the least, it might be a basis for a new livery for one of the existing planes.

August
    That's very exciting to learn! Hopefully someone can figure it out and her out there. I was excited when I heard Vicky Benzing had bought her and was keeping the original scheme.

In a similar vein, are the aircraft model files done in such a way that someone can tweak Strega and Voodoo to perform more like their real-world counterparts.

EDIT: I misread K5083's message first time around, but I'll leave the post below. Could N64CL be a static aircraft parked on the tarmac somewhere? Nice find!

I think the "passive" folders are to correctly match models in multiplayer racing, that way users who only own the base package or individual aircraft aren't seeing TBM's or whatever out on the race track. If I remember correctly, David Dedeine (Creative Director for Flight Simulator) mentioned that this would be the case.

I wonder if this is the case in Free Flight as well, one of the biggest complaints I have about multiplayer is the awful model matching (for example, if you install the Touching Cloud VFX package for the Super Hornet, other multiplayer users who do NOT have that package installed will see a 747 instead of an F-18).

Does the default or base pack L-39 have tip tanks?

Quote Originally Posted by Handbag87 View Post
    In a similar vein, are the aircraft model files done in such a way that someone can tweak Strega and Voodoo to perform more like their real-world counterparts.
    No, their encrypted just like any other marketplace DLC planes.
    Although I'm not really surprised on these ones as it would enable people to cheat in the multiplayer time trials and races.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

@Bomber_12th, really good write ups on the aircraft included and I was just waiting on these to be out for a review before I purchased the add-on. Regarding MSFS warbirds, after I got the sim set up I bought the Big Radials P-40 on sale through ORBX. Not going to be racing it around the pylons anytime soon, but have you reviewed it for accuracy?
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

I don't have the Big Radials P-40, I'm afraid. The exterior looks nice, but the interior, based on the screenshots I've seen, lacks details and accuracy I would have liked to have seen. I know it must seem silly to most, but the number one reason I've avoided it is because it lacks the armor glass (or even support rods) on the inside of the windscreen, which no P-40B/C has ever been without, both in original service and as restored warbirds, so it is missing the characteristic view when looking through the windscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by Twice43 View Post
    If you locked yourself away & produced some of your 1st class liveries for the T6, I cannot foresee any reproaches from this forum.
    T43
    Locking away? mmm, we'll see.

But I keep tweaking here and there
    jk10299 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk10297 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk10293 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk10279 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

and John, I agree with you on the P-40 and the armor glass, the cockpit just doesn't feel right like this.
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Fantastic, Jan-Kees!

Possible to maybe add a little day-glow to a dutch Harvard ?

Thanks for considering!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MustangI_38.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	85277What we (Ok I) really need is an RAF Mustang II skin for the P-51A...please?
    e.g. https://www.mustangsmustangs.net/p-5...421/93378043/6

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    No, their encrypted just like any other marketplace DLC planes.
    Although I'm not really surprised on these ones as it would enable people to cheat in the multiplayer time trials and races.
    Thanks DB, I wasn't aware of that and it does make total sense in terms of cheating.

I made the attached images as a ready reference for the different panels available for the P-51D, T-6, L-39 and Pitts S-1. Each image contains screen shots of all the panels with a key to which is which. The stock panel is always at upper left and the others are arrayed loosely in order from most stock/analog to most modern/custom/digital. Useful for when you know what cockpit experience you want, but forget which plane it's in, and don't want to cycle through them in the hangar.

And if you haven't bought the DLC yet and wonder how much variety there really is in the panels, here is your answer.

August
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P-51 Panels.jpg   T-6 Panels.jpg   S-1 Panels.jpg   L-39 Panels.jpg  

I made the attached images as a ready reference for the different panels available for the P-51D, T-6, L-39 and Pitts S-1. Each image contains screen shots of all the panels with a key to which is which. The stock panel is always at upper left and the others are arrayed loosely in order from most stock/analog to most modern/custom/digital. Useful for when you know what cockpit experience you want, but forget which plane it's in, and don't want to cycle through them in the hangar.

And if you haven't bought the DLC yet and wonder how much variety there really is in the panels, here is your answer.

August
    Many thanks for that, Very useful, & it shows the panel diversity in the Reno set.

As an aside, have you flown the Pitts S-1 yet?
    I tried 3 different ones today & on take off all 3 stood on the tail wheel then did a wing over into the ground.
    No problems with the P-51D, T6 or L-39
    T43

Blog Entries

August
    These are awesome! I saved them to my computer. Thank you for posting them.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by Twice43 View Post
    Many thanks for that, Very useful, & it shows the panel diversity in the Reno set.

As an aside, have you flown the Pitts S-1 yet?
    I tried 3 different ones today & on take off all 3 stood on the tail wheel then did a wing over into the ground.
    No problems with the P-51D, T6 or L-39
    T43
    Yes, I love the Pitts. It's the only racing class I'm any good at, and I like the fact that you have to do a takeoff start as part of the race, that helps separate the pilots from the arcade racers.

Mind you, I also enjoyed the 2-seat Pitts and the Extra in the stock game. I'm sure that shortened my learning curve for the racing Pitts.

On takeoff, make sure you know what your trim should be. You have to fly it starting the instant you advance the throttle, and you can take off very quickly. Try using reduced power for takeoff at first, the plane has plenty of power to take off on low throttle settings, although if it's the start of the race, you'll want to floor it and blast off as fast as possible. It is twitchy on all axes and your safest place is away from the ground. On landing, get it really slow before touchdown. You should be touching down with the stick hard back, and I think the stall speed of the Pitts in the game is more like 40 mph than the 60 mph published figure. I have seen plenty of real acro pilots land the Pitts 2-point going pretty fast, but I can't do that with the Pitts in the game, it just won't roll in the 2-point attitude for long without scraping a wing or swapping ends. Could be it's excessively unstable or maybe I just need more practice.

My own preference in racing the Pitts is to qualify poorly, start on the second row of the takeoff grid, and catch up with the field quickly with a good takeoff and first couple of turns. You get a 4-second credit per starting row, so from the second row you can not quite catch up with the leader and still win. He's likely to think he's winning the race, seeing you're behind him and not realizing you have the credit. Meanwhile the sight of planes in front of you motivates you to push harder because you also forget the credit in the heat of the moment. The beauty of the Pitts is that it goes exactly where you point it instantly and loses little energy in corners, so you don't have to plan big sweeping turns.

If you're going to practice Pitts racing in time trial mode, use the plane "Second Hand." That is by far the fastest Pitts, you can tell by the fact that all of the top leaderboard time trials are with this plane. I think the multiplayer racing uses the Second Hand flight model, or something like it, for all planes so you should practice with that bird to get your timing right.

August

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MustangI_38.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	85277What we (Ok I) really need is an RAF Mustang II skin for the P-51A...please?
    e.g. https://www.mustangsmustangs.net/p-5...421/93378043/6
    Agree! My preference would be for Hollis Hills' AG470 RU-M of 414 Sqn which got the first ever Mustang kill. POF's plane has been painted as his temporarily a couple of times, though not super accurately. And that horse head decal that's on the stock plane would actually be correct on AG470!

August

August
    THANK YOU! I was starting to do something similar but yours looks nicer!
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

A slight problem with painting the P-51A is that the 3D rivets, spread across the aircraft, all share from a selection of just a few colors, and they are setup only for the default "Mrs. Virginia" texture. You can see this issue in Jankees' recently released repaint, where there are white rivets where there is no longer supposed to be any white paint (i.e., everywhere that there is white-painted markings on the Mrs. Virginia scheme).

No regrets getting the full pack here.

LouP

The reno Air race packs didnīt appeall to me in the first place, but simply had to go for the single purchase T6 "almost perect" and the P-51A. Apart from the complete "troublefree" flightmodel of both and the unreal outdated look of the propdisc on the Mustang I also suffered from sticking trough pilothands and -feet with the t6.

Will try & figure what triggers the leggy emergency air brakes.

Even returning the choice of pilots to default didnīt help, Now there was no more pilot vissible in outside view. Same thing with the pits that came with GOTY.

But since I saw this reno-pilot in all those screenshots and didnīt see the guy within my pilot-choices I did finally succumb and simply got myself the "reno-base-package". AND YEP - the fitting pilot was simply part of this pack. Now he fits in nicely into the t6. Even though pylon racing I will very occasionally enjoy the purchase was good for also giving me the P51-D, the Albatros and the base t6.

So for now the dangling limbs on some additional reno aircraft might only be solved by chosing default pilot settings AND owning (at least) the base Reno expansion.

Happy racing.
    Alex
    Dont grow up! ... Itīs a trap!

I made the attached images as a ready reference for the different panels available for the P-51D, T-6, L-39 and Pitts S-1.
    Brilliant idea, August, thanks very much! Well done too !

Is the Pitts any good at aerobatics you think ? Can it do a Knife Edge Pass ? (that would be a first in FS!). Waiting for Asobo/MS to integrate an Aerobatics department including Training/Instructor Mode like in Flight Unlimited. That was truly awesome! ( 27 years ago ! )

https://youtu.be/Iqnv1_GUWKg?t=550

Members who have read this thread: 2