Microsoft Flight Simulator: Reno Air Races Teaser - gamescom - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Flight Simulator: Reno Air Races Teaser - gamescom

If anyone hasn't tried the racing, you really should. The time trials are a great way to get a feel for the course, and the network code improvements they made make the multiplayer racing almost seamless.

Even with the "standardized" flight models in the races, it's a ton of fun, and if there's a group of decent pilots, the identical flight models make for some really close racing. My first race, I started halfway down the field, but ended up winning by a fraction of a second over the airplane ahead of me, since my total time around the course was slightly faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim-HH View Post
    My highlight is the trailer of the upcoming Ju-52

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNpsPyeklUo
    Anyone else notice the washers on top of the nuts on the engine studs? Those should fall off rather quickly once you start engine.

[P.S. Sorry about this late catch, I didn't realize I was on page 1 of this thread.]
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

It has been mentioned on the MSFS forum, by the developer of the P-51A, that the prop issue should be fixed with an update very soon (https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...ELQ3bY03T4KtUo).

However, as I was asked by someone, if anyone would want to use my temporary mod for the prop (it doesn't fix much, but gets rid of the slow-turning prop texture), you can download my modified version of those textures here: https://wetransfer.com/downloads/991...1161959/a56e33

It at least makes for a better experience from the cockpit, in the interim, when the engine is running. Make sure to backup the existing two texture files first (if you forget, I've included the originals) - you'll of course want to revert back when the actual update comes.

I ended up buying just the P-51A for now. I thought about buying the lot, but my interest in racing is nil, my interest in the Pitts is nil (I already have a Pitts in my hangar and I've never flown it), I don't really care about the jet either, and so I'd be forking out money for things I would never use. I'd like your advice on the best (= closest to stock) T-6 and P-51D to buy, and that would be it for me.
    Quite happy with the A after just one flight, (I've always liked the razorback Mustangs more than the D's), although that prop texture is just odd...

jk10138 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk10133 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk10127 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    although that prop texture is just odd...
    As linked to in my post above, the prop issue with the P-51A should be fixed with an update released within a week's time (hopefully). In the meantime, you can try my modified prop textures, also linked to above, which will at least get rid of the slow turning prop textures (currently causing most of the issue).

I personally consider all of the early Allison-engined Mustangs to be the "sexiest" of all WWII warbirds (in my opinion). Of course the Mustang series started out with very British and European styling, beginning with the prototype NA-73X. As most here know already, the original Mustang prototype was designed to a British order placed with North American Aviation in 1940. The first Mustangs were designed and built for Britain and were designated Mustang I. This was followed later by the Mustang Mk.Ia and Mk.II (the later of which had four cannons). After the US government finally really took notice of them in 1942, the first Mustangs ordered for the US entered service in early 1943, and those were the P-51 (with no letter designation), which were essentially identical to the cannon-armed Mustang Mk.II made for the British. Those first American Mustangs were later renamed the F-6A, by the time they entered service, having been modified for photo-reconnaissance work. This was followed by the A-36 Mustang (often mistakenly referred to as the "Apache" for many years), which also entered service around the same time as the F-6A. Then, following the A-36, came the P-51A. All of these variants were powered by the Allison V-1710 engine, a really good engine, but it was not fitted with a two-stage supercharger for high altitude work. All of these early Mustangs can outperform a Merlin-engined P-51D at low level, but their performance fizzles out above 15,000 ft.

Tumbling Goose Albatross - the Pilot & Passenger's feet poke through the fuselage. I saw a pic somewhere & have one to process.
    I tried another Albatross & it seemed ok.
    Will try & figure what triggers the leggy emergency air brakes. The Tumbling Goose has full AP that appears to work so the appendages are a bit of a P.I.T.A. external view mood killer.
    T43

Here it is:

https://i.postimg.cc/wjZ2mmS6/tg-1.jpg
    Last edited by Twice43; November 21st, 2021 at 08:03. Reason: pic

If you just want stock aircraft, I think the best bang for your buck is going to be the base Reno package. It includes stock versions of each of the 4 aircraft, L-39, P-51D, Pitts and the T6. It would be the same price as just buying the base T6 and base P-51D. The cockpits are factory fresh, exterior is a fictional race livery.

Would anyone who has bought the 19.95$ package be so kind to show a screenshot of the instrument panel for the T-6 and P-51.

Not really intending to throw more money at Asabo aircraft after the Ju-52, but those two planes are very tempting.
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mugel View Post
    Would anyone who has bought the 19.95$ package be so kind to show a screenshot of the instrument panel for the T-6 and P-51.

Not really intending to throw more money at Asabo aircraft after the Ju-52, but those two planes are very tempting.

Here are a few shots from the base/generic P-51D cockpit - a half and half mix of stock and modern/resto throughout).

- The instrument panel is military stock to 1946 (the year that the accelerometer was first added while in service, via a Tech Order).
    - The throttle handle and control stick grip are not original (but are of the type fitted in some Mustang restorations).
    - The wood floor finish, metal floor plates and silver-painted control stick and rudder pedals are all modern restoration details, as is the compass mounted in-place of the gun sight mount.
    - The right side of the cockpit has extra paneling in lieu of the original radio control panels.
    - The magneto switch is located in a non-standard position due to the modern radios.
    - Originally, the canopy framing was all painted flat black.
    - The flap handle is missing the end on it.
    - Interestingly, they have it depicted with a fuselage tank (which should be rubber/black in color), and a semi-fictional partial radio rack.

Overall, I really like it!

The cockpit of the base/generic AT-6 is absolutely glorious, and certainly the best stock AT-6 cockpit I've ever seen in flight sim form, front and back. Even all of the 40's era radios, radio controls and armament switches are present. The rear swivel seat position in the back is also incredibly well detailed. I just wish the throttle and prop controls weren't painted red (an easy fix, if they have their own textures). Other than the small addition of the comm and transponder radios, it is no different than it would have been in the 1940's.

Thank you both, could you also post some of the default L-39?

Might be the $19,95 pack would be a nice buy.

Marcel

Merci! Looking good, how functional are all the switches?

Quote Originally Posted by azflyboy View Post
    If anyone hasn't tried the racing, you really should. The time trials are a great way to get a feel for the course, and the network code improvements they made make the multiplayer racing almost seamless.

Even with the "standardized" flight models in the races, it's a ton of fun, and if there's a group of decent pilots, the identical flight models make for some really close racing. My first race, I started halfway down the field, but ended up winning by a fraction of a second over the airplane ahead of me, since my total time around the course was slightly faster.
    I have to admit you are right about this. I didn't think I would be interested in MP racing, but I tried it, and it is addictive. Each race only takes 10 minutes or so, so you think, "Aw, I cut a pylon on that one, I'll do one more." Then, "Heck, I'll do one more again." Then, "Crap, is it 2:00 am already??"

August

Quote Originally Posted by mgr View Post
    Merci! Looking good, how functional are all the switches?
    I haven't tried any instrument flying or anything like that, but everything I needed to start from cold and dark seemed to function correctly, its what you would expect from Asobo. For $20 bucks I'm super happy with the base package and will end up upgrading to the full package at some point.

Thank you guys for the input. I think that will help a lot!

The T-6 package seems to be the best of the lot. Beautiful planes, all of them. Hindsight being 202/20, should have just gotten the T-6 package instead of the whole Air Race thing. If only the canopies would open.

- - - Updated - - -

The T-6 package seems to be the best of the lot. Beautiful planes, all of them. Hindsight being 202/20, should have just gotten the T-6 package instead of the whole Air Race thing. If only the canopies would open.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    It has been mentioned on the MSFS forum, by the developer of the P-51A, that the prop issue should be fixed with an update very soon (https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...ELQ3bY03T4KtUo).

However, as I was asked by someone, if anyone would want to use my temporary mod for the prop (it doesn't fix much, but gets rid of the slow-turning prop texture), you can download my modified version of those textures here: https://wetransfer.com/downloads/991...1161959/a56e33

It at least makes for a better experience from the cockpit, in the interim, when the engine is running. Make sure to backup the existing two texture files first (if you forget, I've included the originals) - you'll of course want to revert back when the actual update comes.
    Many thanks for this John! Much better now.

Quote Originally Posted by ak416 View Post
    I haven't tried any instrument flying or anything like that, but everything I needed to start from cold and dark seemed to function correctly, its what you would expect from Asobo. For $20 bucks I'm super happy with the base package and will end up upgrading to the full package at some point.
    Is the store showing a discount for the full package when you have the base pack?

love the Reno full collection
    here is my Race Record
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211122034906_1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	250.7 KB 
ID:	85242

best regards,
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by ak416 View Post
    I have a feeling John knows, but I wonder if the ASOBO folk know of the rich history of Reno P-51Ds numbered 38?

If you are enjoying the Reno module, you might want to download the SimArchitect KRTS Reno race scenery from flightsim.to, referenced in the Galloping Ghost thread on this board. It has several benefits. First, it fixes the Reno airport which is screwed up in non-Reno mode once you have installed the Reno DLC. It seems the DLC places new tarmac in the standard world but does not supply the texture for it, so you get a checkered missing-texture effect. This is fixed by the SimArchitect airport, which I'm sure will be updated soon to be even more compatible with the changes made at Reno by the DLC.

Second, the SimArchitect airport includes POIs for the pylons for the unlimited/jet course, and if you make landmark POIs visible, they look a lot like the pylon markers in the game, so you can fly the course in any plane you want. The physical pylons are there for all the courses so you can fly them if you go hardcore and rely on spotting them on the ground. It really feels just the same as using the Reno module, except of course there's no multiplayer racing, and you have to track your own time. It of course does not discipline you for climbing above 250 feet but it disciplines you a lot more for crashing! And you get to take off and land, which I like. I find it good practice, and it is fun seeing how my other stock and port-over planes do on the course. The Flight Replicas P-40N shown here seems to do the course in slow motion; using the marked redline of 45", it takes me about 1:50 to get around the unlimited course in this, whereas I can manage about 1:15 in a stock Mustang. On the other hand, the Flying Stations Sea Fury is faster than a stock Mustang and a real delight to fly around the pylons. The Milviz Red Bull P-38 is another fun one, it is a different feeling navigating the course with my CH yoke, and it turns in times of about 1:29, about as I would expect. Tonight I'm going to try Rob's Seafire 47, then see if the Vampire and Me 262 would be competitive with the L-39s.

All of this was possible prior to the Reno DLC but with the races there as a bench mark and a thing to be practicing for, so I find I'm more motivated to do it now.

August
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P40-Reno02.jpg   P40-Reno01a.jpg  

I noticed this morning that the Reno DLC puts a folder in your Official/OneStore folder called "asobo-aircraft-p51d-reno-claylacy-passive". That folder contains what appears to be a nearly complete variant for Clay Lacy's famous purple N64CL, including a model, panel cfg file, and textures.

Maybe Asobo will drop us the files to activate this plane in an update some day, or maybe someone cleverer than me will be able to figure out how to make it active. At the least, it might be a basis for a new livery for one of the existing planes.

August

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mugel View Post
    Is the store showing a discount for the full package when you have the base pack?
    I would like to know that also. I am tempted to get it but 60$ seams a bit much if I am unsure, trying out the base for 20 seams reasonable as long as its not money down the drain if I get the full package.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Members who have read this thread: 2