be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

My highlight is the trailer of the upcoming Ju-52

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNpsPyeklUo

Greetings
    Tim
    Greetings
    Tim

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Was just about to post that, Tim. It just looks awesome!
    Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2

Some caps from the video.

Noticed two or three different P-51 models in there. At minimum there's a clipped-wing racer like in FSX and a modified racer with a streamlined canopy. Hopefully there's one with unmodified wings too.

Excited to see the T-6 in there, even if it does have modern instruments.

The G3X glass is pretty much a requirement in modern aviation. If you're going to operate in controlled airspace, you need modern avionics, and I'd rather have one panel than try to shoehorn a few more Garmin separates in with the six-pack.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Plus there's an L-39 in there, which I'm not as excited about, but it'll still be fun to fly!

Following Microsoft on Facebook, they mention that there will be overall flight model and multiplayer updates/fixes, as a result of working on this Reno addon.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more on the Mustangs and T-6's, and very interested to see how accurate the flight dynamics are. There is quite a lot of difference in performance and handling across the various Mustangs they've depicted. I'm especially excited to see both Strega and Voodoo (I wonder if they have Voodoo's modified airfoil depicted?). One of the aspects that impresses me most about the Asobo/MS aircraft are the soundsets, and I'm really looking forward to hearing how the Mustangs and T-6's sound as well.

I've noticed that the model being used for the P-51D 'Lady B' actually has the guns in its wings, as per reality, which is awesome, given that to-date even 3rd-party addons on the marketplace weren't allowed to have guns depicted on the aircraft. 'Lady B' is the most stock example from the Mustangs shown, having guns, stock canopy, stock wings and stock fuselage/radiator section (but with a jump seat behind the pilot, like most Mustangs flying today). It will be a great base model for several dozen repaints at least, since the majority of Mustangs flying today and going all the way back to the 50's are essentially configured the same as that one. Oddly, the sim depiction of 'Lady B' shows it in bare metal, where as the real one is painted silver. Curious now too how many different cockpit configurations are depicted across the various Mustang models (obviously some difference required, between the Strega/Voodoo cockpit/canopy setup and the more stock D-model cockpit/canopy setup), and if there will possibly be more than one T-6 cockpit configuration depicted.

Looking forward to those Ju-52's as well! I remember they mentioned there will be a few different versions (including engine types/sounds).
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; August 24th, 2021 at 16:22.

Yeah, I was super excited to see Voodoo and Strega. I expect to be able to simulate this and have it sound exactly the same. https://youtu.be/C6DWBkF7NUI

That is always such an awesome sound! I'd imagine it is not such a great sound if positioned static, next to the aircraft, when it is making all of that noise, especially off the prop, but when heard in motion with the Doppler effect as it goes by, it is sweet. It will be really interesting to see how much attention has gone into properly depicting the engine performance (some of those racing Merlins can put out 120" MP, using the high octane fuel at Reno, where as stock Merlins, running modern-day low lead, are capped at 55" MP), and hopefully they will still perform correctly even if just using standard/low power settings.

Very excited for this. Stuff like this and the Top Gun pack is what has been missing for me in the new sim. Part of the charm of FSX for me and later Flight in 2012 were the missions and scenarios. They gave direction and inspiration in an otherwise barren world. Sometimes I don't want to be bothered with deciding what aircraft I want to fly or what part of the world I want to fly in, sometimes I just want to intercept UFO's or drop flower bombs or rescue workers from a burning oil rig.

The last half of 2021 looks promising for MSFS and I am very happy with the direction the sim is going on.

I'm looking at the textures of the Mustang close shot (canopy), and notice the texture resolution is not the best...
    Are we sure this is not just a quick and dirty conversion of the FSX-Acceleration Mustang ? That would be sad...

The resolution of the textures on the Mustang is actually quite high, given how narrow the panel lines are, how both small and round the rivets and spot welds are, and how sharp the star and canopy release stencil are in that shot. The models also look very different than the FSX Acceleration version (a very good thing!). These look really good, with properly proportioned canopy and other design aspects, like the shape of the nose, unlike the Acceleration model. The fuselage is also properly modeled behind the canopy frame, which is rare among flight sim P-51D depictions. These also depict the stock radiator section (can't see on either the Strega or Voodoo models, which have modified radiator sections and hopefully are correctly depicted that way). Note too, in the close-up of the canopy, how the canopy release handles, and even the hole for the unlocking button, are all modeled rather than just added in the textures. All of the quarter-turn fasteners are 3D modeled as well, as expected in Asobo aircraft. In that one shot, I'm also incredibly impressed with how they have accurately depicted all of the unique parts that make up the interior of the windscreen framing (rather than just doing a simplified version, as used to be the case a lot in flight sim depictions). The amount of detail in just the instrument panel shroud is very impressive as well! I cannot wait to see what the rest of the cockpit(s) look like on the Mustangs, as well as the gear wells. I'm already super impressed with how accurate and detailed the landing gear doors are (best ones I've seen of any flight sim/combat sim depiction)! Nice to also see that the exhaust shrouds are properly recessed (separate from the cowl panels), and they have properly captured the curvature around the base of the tail cone and tail wheel doors (something that in my work, I wasn't nearly as accurate with). The wing-to-fuselage and tail-to-fuselage fillets also appear to be exquisitely crafted.

There is also more than one propeller type shown - with both the cuffed Hamilton Standard and the non-cuffed 'paddle blade' Hamilton Standard props depicted.

Note the guns in the leading edge of "Lady B" (the others of course don't have guns), and how detailed and accurate the landing gear doors are. It's very likely that there are five individual models for the each of the five Mustangs depicted here. In the shot showing below and to the rear of the aircraft, it even looks like they have the battery drain tube properly modeled, which sticks out of the bottom of the rear right wing fillet (this is a detail that is always present on a P-51D, if it has the battery vent scoop on the left forward wing fillet/cowl panel, as these do). Hopefully we'll be seeing some screenshots of these soon, which will be far more clear than the video footage (which is all compressed and blurred). In that same shot, it also looks like the aft radiator exit door is longer on 'Miss America' than the other two shown (note the rear gap is smaller), which is accurate as the real 'Miss America' has a modified/longer radiator door. All of these factors point to the developer having a passion for the type (whether it having been in-house by Asobo or farmed out to another developer). It is really quite amazing that this amount of care and attention to detail is being put into this, given that probably 90% or more of the people who will be buying it won't fully appreciate or care how accurate they may be. Yeah, I'm very excited for this!

With all of this talk about the Mustangs, I want to see more on the T-6's as well - that one shot showing the front end of 'Six-Cat' is impressive just in itself, with everything shown there looking spot-on and highly detailed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image1.jpg   Image2.jpg   Image3.jpg   Image4.jpg   Image5.jpg  
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; August 25th, 2021 at 11:58.

Hmm yes, I had looked only at that canopy closeup when I made my comments, but the latest pictures posted here do show some nice textures indeed. My bad

Great post Bomber, appreciate your analysis.

My understanding is that, when possible, Asobo use laser scanning to help create their 3d models allowing for more precision than modelling by hand. The work they have done on the 3d models and audio packages has yet to be surpassed and I am super excited to see how they captured these warbirds (and the L-39 of course!).

AK, that would be awesome if in fact that is what they were able to do with these aircraft models!

Re-watching the clip again, I've also noticed now that both the Strega and Voodoo models are indeed individually separate, with each having their own, correct to reality, uniquely designed extended/lengthened rear wing/fuselage fillets (airflow distributors), which again is unprecedented and absolutely fantastic to see the level of attention to detail. On Strega, they extend back all the way to the tail cone/fuselage production break. Also, in the shot showing Voodoo and Miss America flying by, although still unclear, it sure seems like they have modeled Voodoo's re-manufactured radiator scoop intake, which tapers forward more than the stock intake (Strega has a similar mod). This section on the real Voodoo is made from carbon fiber, as are the cowl formers and cowl panels. As I mentioned earlier, I'm really curious to see if they have the Joe Clark/Aviation Partners modified upper wing airfoil depicted on Voodoo as well (added prior to Steve Hinton Jr. setting the speed record a few years back) - I don't doubt it, since modeling that would be very simple compared to so many of the other more complex details they have clearly depicted very well.

In order to properly depict the Mustang's hydraulic system, I imagine there will be new code added as well (hopefully so). I'm really looking forward to seeing what kind of a challenge it is to fly Voodoo and Strega, since they have such reduced visibility out of the cockpit (canopies just big enough to barely wrap around the pilot's helmeted head). The most highly modified Reno air racers over the decades have never been flown much, but usually just in the lead-up to and during the races, since so often the big modifications make them unpleasant to fly/not the kind of airplane you want to fly every weekend. I remember hearing about 'Rare Bear' in particular, and how it is never a good experience to fly because of all of the changes made to it for speed (where as a stock Bearcat is a favorite among pilots who have flown them). Over the years, some of the owners of the more stock Mustang racers will put modified canopies, radiator intakes and/or wing tips on them for the races, and then switch back to stock parts when flying the aircraft the rest of the year, and some leave them just as is, fully stock in and out of racing. There is also of course those who put racing-modified Merlins in them, just for the races, and others that continue to run stock (which won't get you to the gold race, but can win you the bronze and silver races). The fuel available at Reno is 160-octane, and this can be increased with additives up to 170-175 octane, which allows for the far higher power output/manifold pressures than normal (normal fuel for these engines today, at your everyday airport, is of course 100LL, which won't even allow a Merlin to run at max wartime/military power - fuel used during WWII was 130-octane and later 150-octane introduced in 1944, which cleared the way for 85-in MP WEP).

BTW, since we already have a Mk.IX Spitfire from FlyingIron, I thought it worth mentioning that Warren Pietsch took the Mk.IX Spitfire MK959 around the course in 2017, but of course didn't push it, placing last in the bronze race with an average speed of 270 mph (the entire bronze race that year was made up of stock warbirds from the Texas Flying Legends Museum, which are now all part of the Dakota Territory Air Museum). I've been meaning to do a repaint of that aircraft too, and I could very easily include a version with the the race #84 decals applied to it, as it had at Reno that year.
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; August 25th, 2021 at 14:00.

Anyone else see the Chinook outside the hangar at the start?

Good eye! The 189th General Support Aviation Battalion of the Nevada Army National Guard is based at the same airport, Reno Stead, and they fly CH-47 Chinooks out of there.

Since they're doing jets as well, I wonder if they're going to release a DH Venom or if we're going to have to wait for Rob to release one for us?

Did you notice that the Cat-Six prop is turning the wrong way? Either the video editor goofed or the dev's still have some tweaking to do.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I think this could be quite fun, I wonder if they'll be AI racers (?) (probably not) I think it's great to see these vintage planes get some attention as well as air racing, as racing and competition has played a vital role throughout aviation history.

- dcc
    - -

I thought from the initial phrasing this would be the case, but Jorg verified this will be paid DLC in a recent interview.

No objection here. Looks like they're doing some seriously detailed content. And I assume the multiplayer improvements will be part of the core sim, with the racing part being the actual air race planes, scenery, and race scoring.

The most promising words I'm reading in the interview are: "You can fly these planes anywhere."

Hopefully confirming that the planes will not just be locked into the DLC but will be installed as normal planes.

I'll probably get bored with the racing after a few hours (as I did with watching real racing at Reno), but if it's priced rationally at all, I'll buy it just for the package of planes.

August

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    AK, that would be awesome if in fact that is what they were able to do with these aircraft models!

Re-watching the clip again, I've also noticed now that both the Strega and Voodoo models are indeed individually separate, with each having their own, correct to reality, uniquely designed extended/lengthened rear wing/fuselage fillets (airflow distributors), which again is unprecedented and absolutely fantastic to see the level of attention to detail. On Strega, they extend back all the way to the tail cone/fuselage production break. Also, in the shot showing Voodoo and Miss America flying by, although still unclear, it sure seems like they have modeled Voodoo's re-manufactured radiator scoop intake, which tapers forward more than the stock intake (Strega has a similar mod). This section on the real Voodoo is made from carbon fiber, as are the cowl formers and cowl panels. As I mentioned earlier, I'm really curious to see if they have the Joe Clark/Aviation Partners modified upper wing airfoil depicted on Voodoo as well (added prior to Steve Hinton Jr. setting the speed record a few years back) - I don't doubt it, since modeling that would be very simple compared to so many of the other more complex details they have clearly depicted very well.

In order to properly depict the Mustang's hydraulic system, I imagine there will be new code added as well (hopefully so). I'm really looking forward to seeing what kind of a challenge it is to fly Voodoo and Strega, since they have such reduced visibility out of the cockpit (canopies just big enough to barely wrap around the pilot's helmeted head). The most highly modified Reno air racers over the decades have never been flown much, but usually just in the lead-up to and during the races, since so often the big modifications make them unpleasant to fly/not the kind of airplane you want to fly every weekend. I remember hearing about 'Rare Bear' in particular, and how it is never a good experience to fly because of all of the changes made to it for speed (where as a stock Bearcat is a favorite among pilots who have flown them). Over the years, some of the owners of the more stock Mustang racers will put modified canopies, radiator intakes and/or wing tips on them for the races, and then switch back to stock parts when flying the aircraft the rest of the year, and some leave them just as is, fully stock in and out of racing. There is also of course those who put racing-modified Merlins in them, just for the races, and others that continue to run stock (which won't get you to the gold race, but can win you the bronze and silver races). The fuel available at Reno is 160-octane, and this can be increased with additives up to 170-175 octane, which allows for the far higher power output/manifold pressures than normal (normal fuel for these engines today, at your everyday airport, is of course 100LL, which won't even allow a Merlin to run at max wartime/military power - fuel used during WWII was 130-octane and later 150-octane introduced in 1944, which cleared the way for 85-in MP WEP).

BTW, since we already have a Mk.IX Spitfire from FlyingIron, I thought it worth mentioning that Warren Pietsch took the Mk.IX Spitfire MK959 around the course in 2017, but of course didn't push it, placing last in the bronze race with an average speed of 270 mph (the entire bronze race that year was made up of stock warbirds from the Texas Flying Legends Museum, which are now all part of the Dakota Territory Air Museum). I've been meaning to do a repaint of that aircraft too, and I could very easily include a version with the the race #84 decals applied to it, as it had at Reno that year.
    I'm impressed. How do you know all this stuff? ;-)
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Blog Entries
    I just hope you can open the canopy. That would make me happy.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Members who have read this thread: 1