Microsoft Flight Simulator: Reno Air Races Teaser - gamescom - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Flight Simulator: Reno Air Races Teaser - gamescom

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    I just hope you can open the canopy. That would make me happy.
    Well, now you're just talking crazy talk. You can have exquisite laser scanned 3d models, exact flight performance, and live-recorded sounds, but we all know that opening canopies is just not possible.

August

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    I just hope you can open the canopy. That would make me happy.
    Easily opened can of peas!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.jpeg 
Views:	452 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	84169
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    Well, now you're just talking crazy talk. You can have exquisite laser scanned 3d models, exact flight performance, and live-recorded sounds, but we all know that opening canopies is just not possible.

August
    So, how will I get out after ground looping and destroying the prop and engine? Just asking. I mean the owner will be mad and I will need to
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Unfortunately the Reno Air Races addon for MSFS isn't scheduled for release until mid-November, but the real Reno Air Races are taking place this week, and I've seen numerous photos being shared on Facebook. Here are all of the Unlimited racers that are in attendance this year:

Sea Fury "Argonaut" - owned by Sanders Aeronautics, raced by Sherman Smoot
    Sea Fury "Dreadnought" - owned by Sanders Aeronautics, raced by Joel Swager
    Sea Fury "924" - owned by Sanders Aeronautics, raced by Dennis Sanders
    P-51D "Miss America" - owned and raced by Brent Hisey
    P-51D "Goldfinger" - owned and raced by Mike Brown (this is the same airframe that used to be "Risky Business")
    P-51D "Lady B" - owned by Fred Telling, raced by Michael Pfleger
    P-51D "Blondie/Sparky" - owned by the Seghetti family, raced by Brant Seghetti
    P-51D "Bunny" - owned by the Palm Springs Air Museum, raced by Tom Nightingale
    P-51D "Speedball Alice" - owned and raced by Dan Vance
    P-51D "Sweet & Lovely" - owned and raced by Jeff LaVelle
    P-51D "Dolly/Spam Can" - owned by the Planes of Fame Air Museum, raced by John Maloney
    P-51D "Wee Willy II" - owned by Steve Hinton, raced by Robbie Patterson
    P-51D "Man O' War" - owned by the Ward family, raced by Ken Gottschall
    P-63 "Pretty Polly" - owned by the Palm Springs Air Museum, raced by Patrick Nightingale

Obviously a number of these aren't going to pushed too hard around the course. This is the first year that "Sweet & Lovely" is competing, and I believe this is also the first year that "Man O' War" is competing as well.

Unfortunately, Dr. Robin Crandall's Sea Fury, "Sawbones", which lives near me, had to cancel this year, as did Dusty Dowd and his "P-51A".

Of course there is a large number of T-6's racing in the T-6 class. I've got a busy work week ahead of me, but still hoping to catch some race reports through the week and hopefully they'll have some live streams of the final races next weekend.

That's why I'm so interested in the Sport Class now. Some of those planes are making over 400mph. I would like to see a home built class of using the WW2 engines. That way, they can leave the warbirds intact. I realize Rutan and Bob Pond tried that with the Pond Racer (Using Nissan racing engines), but I would just use the WW2 engines as we already know they are quite capable. In fact, I would like to see NG, LM, and Boeing make racers using those engines. It would keep their design groups busy and they would actually get to see something they designed fly. That tends to be a rarity when so many programs can take a decade to a quarter of a century to get going.

In the most recent Q&A, Seb (Asobo CEO) and Martial (Executive Producer) showed off some of the improvements that will be coming to the sim thanks to the teams work done on Reno Air Races.

Reno discussion and demo starts around the 18:00 mark: https://youtu.be/r6-2nGEXn0w?t=1077

- Improved rendering of bushes/grass at low altitude and high speed
    - Improved ground effect in fast aircraft
    - Vastly improved roll rate for appropriate aircraft (allowing for proper snap rolls in aerobatic aircraft)
    - First steps towards adding wake turbulence, turbulent directly behind aircraft (will not linger on runways, for example)

Hopefully we get some new videos soon, I would love to see some cockpit footage and hear some sounds.

Edit: Just saw that the next Q&A is on the 20th of October and they will be kicking it off by "going into detail on the Reno Air Races" so that's exciting!

No any improve of rolling on the ground for taildraggers? Lol, it will be funny!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Sea Fury "Argonaut" - owned by Sanders Aeronautics, raced by Sherman Smoot
    Sea Fury "Dreadnought" - owned by Sanders Aeronautics, raced by Joel Swager
    Sea Fury "924" - owned by Sanders Aeronautics, raced by Dennis Sanders
    P-51D "Miss America" - owned and raced by Brent Hisey
    P-51D "Goldfinger" - owned and raced by Mike Brown (this is the same airframe that used to be "Risky Business")
    P-51D "Lady B" - owned by Fred Telling, raced by Michael Pfleger
    P-51D "Blondie/Sparky" - owned by the Seghetti family, raced by Brant Seghetti
    P-51D "Bunny" - owned by the Palm Springs Air Museum, raced by Tom Nightingale
    P-51D "Speedball Alice" - owned and raced by Dan Vance
    P-51D "Sweet & Lovely" - owned and raced by Jeff LaVelle
    P-51D "Dolly/Spam Can" - owned by the Planes of Fame Air Museum, raced by John Maloney
    P-51D "Wee Willy II" - owned by Steve Hinton, raced by Robbie Patterson
    P-51D "Man O' War" - owned by the Ward family, raced by Ken Gottschall
    P-63 "Pretty Polly" - owned by the Palm Springs Air Museum, raced by Patrick
    Pity the Yak 3 "Full Noise" couldn't make it this year ... actually a Yak 3 would make a nice MSFS model!

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    No any improve of rolling on the ground for taildraggers? Lol, it will be funny!
    I don't really have any issues with the ground handling of taildraggers in the sim so I don't really know what you are talking about exactly. But, they do mention in this Dev Q&A and in the Sim Update 6 patch notes that improved ground handling is something they are working on.

The improvements/additions I listed above were made specifically because of the Reno Air Races DLC, not an exhaustive list of everything mentioned in the Q&A.

I sure hope that this will become available for us Steam users with an aversion of the place that shall go unnamed!

Dying to get the Ju-52, but I'm not buying through M$...

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    I sure hope that this will become available for us Steam users with an aversion of the place that shall go unnamed!

Dying to get the Ju-52, but I'm not buying through M$...

Priller
    I wouldn't get my hopes up in that case. DLC on Steam is not done via Steamworks, it's all done via the in-game marketplace.

As a brief aside, this is likely done to combat piracy. DLC can be pirated and used with legitimate Steam copies of games using third party tools. You download the clean Steam files, replace a couple of .dll files and Steam will recognize that you are "entitled" to use that DLC.

I don't like it either, but them's the breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by ak416 View Post
    I wouldn't get my hopes up in that case. DLC on Steam is not done via Steamworks, it's all done via the in-game marketplace.

As a brief aside, this is likely done to combat piracy. DLC can be pirated and used with legitimate Steam copies of games using third party tools. You download the clean Steam files, replace a couple of .dll files and Steam will recognize that you are "entitled" to use that DLC.

I don't like it either, but them's the breaks.
    Whatever the reason why they do it (and I don't have that knowledge/info about pirating stuff), what I'm looking for is ease of restore after reinstall or crash. That is why I keep a full copy of my sim (community folder and official) so that after a crash, I can just copy back and things will be working. Call me old skool.

Redownloading every single addon is just not on. And I also think that we (the whole world) already give too much money to M$. For a living, I have to work with these people, and believe me, after a day of two meetings with M$, I need a shower, I feel dirty. M$, they're worse than politicians.

*getting off and dusting my trusty soapbox*

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

I don't really have any issues with the ground handling of taildraggers in the sim so I don't really know what you are talking about exactly. But, they do mention in this Dev Q&A and in the Sim Update 6 patch notes that improved ground handling is something they are working on.

The improvements/additions I listed above were made specifically because of the Reno Air Races DLC, not an exhaustive list of everything mentioned in the Q&A.
    The issue exists and not solved till now, here you can find more about rolling speed problem:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ht=Taildragger
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Whatever the reason why they do it (and I don't have that knowledge/info about pirating stuff), what I'm looking for is ease of restore after reinstall or crash. That is why I keep a full copy of my sim (community folder and official) so that after a crash, I can just copy back and things will be working. Call me old skool.
    You can do that with the Store install. Just re-download the small base game and point it to the folder where you restored your backup.

Redownloading every single addon is just not on.
    You don't have to. If you've backed up your OneStore add-ons, the sim will see them when you point them to the restore.

And I also think that we (the whole world) already give too much money to M$.
    I'm happy to spend some money to keep the new world regions, new features, and other stuff coming. Not sure where the anger at paying for products comes from here.

For a living, I have to work with these people, and believe me, after a day of two meetings with M$, I need a shower, I feel dirty. M$, they're worse than politicians.
    As someone who spent 16+ years working for MS before I left, I can say the vast majority of the people working there are passionate about creating cool games, making computing more accessible, and bringing tech to the world at large. Yeah, there are some a-holes, as is true in any company with 100K people (or any city with 100K people, or any organization, or...), and I'm sorry you haven't had good experiences. There are people there that I don't like, but they are outnumbered 100 to 1 by cool, smart, enthusiastic people who just want to make cool tech and share it.

I've met Jorg and a number of the MSFS team members, and they're passionate about what they're creating and trying to bring us a cool product and make it even cooler over time. So maybe reconsider the disdain?
    Last edited by DennyA; October 13th, 2021 at 15:26.

Or maybe reconsider discussions of corporate politics... Let's keep this thread (and the rest of the forum) about the hobby that we all love.

Thanks!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

It might be the longest month of my life, waiting for the release of this expansion pack -> 10 Mustangs and 10 AT-6's, with each individually modeled/textured inside and out to match the real thing - and the P-51A!! I noticed in one of the recent dev interview videos as well, that they even have passengers modeled in the rear jump seats of the Mustangs that have them as well, and pilots/passengers wearing proper headgear too (modern helmets).

https://www.flightsimulator.com/reno...VK53wFtHbniOIM

I am blown away by the amount of detail on some of these aircraft. Very exciting, hearing the whistle of the P-51 sent shivers down my spine.

I'll be curious to see if there's actually different flight models for the P-51 variants, since the highly modified airplanes like Voodoo and Strega should be something like 100mph faster than the stock airplanes.

I've always wanted a P-51A in FS. I never would have guessed that this is how I would get it. But I'll take it. Man, there are so many great planes in that pack, not to mention the Air race scenery itself.

Amazed and surprised by all the variants in cockpit in all the 4 aircraft, also lots of analog gauges.

They just mentioned a few things about the aircraft in today's dev Q&A:

- everything officially licensed
    - majority of aircraft were 3d scanned
    - collaborated with pilots and owners of the chosen aircraft
    - in development for 2+ years
    - collaborated with Michael Johnson (Lotus Simulations, L-39) and Scott Gentile (A2A Simulations, P-51) (!!)
    - wake turbulence effects ground, will kick up dust and dirt
    - G Effects (redout and blackout)
    - eEach aircraft has unique performance specs, when you race other players or participate in the time-trial, all aircraft performance is the same
    - Useable in free flight, not restricted to racing
    - Aircraft are visible in multiplayer even if you do not own the Reno DLC
    - no AI aircraft, only Time Trial
    - private matchmaking and customized race features to follow a few months after release

Ohh Lotus L-39... one of my favorite FS aircraft! A2A collaboration is awesome news too.

I'll drink to that, thanks !

Most exiting news since the announcement of MSFS ( and DC-6, naturally). Also read about a REPLAY mode available with GOTY edition ! ( are we there yet ?...) Not sure but might be even more exiting news, atleast to me! ( i (almost) never finished a flight in all former FS editions without replaying my take-off's and landings from an aircraft-spotters POV. I feel like an orphan when it comes to that with MSFS ( not to say i loath it because of the missing replay mode and fly-by view)). A bit worried about the " Replay Dev Mode" i.e. restricted ?..... Anyway, i suppose we're atleast halfway there.

Thanks again, AK ! Made my day!

- no AI aircraft, only Time Trial
    Hold it!!

Really !!??....

BUMMER !!!! (not to say that stinks ! )

That's a big chunk of "Exiting News!" going down the drain. Sheeezzz

( they wanted it on Xbox. Done. They wanted it to, more or less, feel like 'a game'. Here they had a chance to make that happen too with the Reno DLC and let it slip.... )

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Hold it!! Really !!??.... BUMMER !!!! (not to say that stinks ! ) That's a big chunk of "Exiting News!" going down the drain. Sheeezzz
    I agree, I would have liked to see AI in races as I don't have a ton of interest in racing random people. Maybe once private matchmaking is implemented we can get a little SOH racing league going or something.

Members who have read this thread: 1