DC Designs F-14

Thread: DC Designs F-14

DC Designs F-14

Very much looking forward to the DC Designs F-14. There have been a couple of "pre-release" videos on U-Tube, and it looks great. Don't want to be a "picker of nits", but one those videos shows how the ship will look from the aircraft selection menu in the sim. We see that the paint depicting VF-84 is listed as "84th Fighter Squadron". This is US Air Force lingo. There is no such thing as the "84th Fighter Squadron" in the US Navy. That squadron is referred to as "VF-84" in the US Navy...

Attachment 83977
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Very much looking forward to the DC Designs F-14. There have been a couple of "pre-release" videos on U-Tube, and it looks great. Don't want to be a "picker of nits", but one those videos shows how the ship will look from the aircraft selection menu in the sim. We see that the paint depicting VF-84 is listed as "84th Fighter Squadron". This is US Air Force lingo. There is no such thing as the "84th Fighter Squadron" in the US Navy. That squadron is referred to as "VF-84" in the US Navy...

Attachment 83977
    Indeed! For the sake of accuracy, I hope this is corrected prior to release. I'm also a bit concerned that no weapons will be present if it's sold directly through the MSFS store... If so, better to buy directly through the DC Designs site.
    Cheers,
    Dave

I can't wait to buy it!

Thank you!
    Zsolt
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Hi,

This is US Air Force lingo. There is no such thing as the "84th Fighter Squadron" in the US Navy. That squadron is referred to as "VF-84" in the US Navy...
    The NAVY calls it squadrons: "Strike Fighter Squadron" so a lot like the airforce see :
    https://www.navy.mil/Press-Office/Pr...anges-command/

Maybe wise to give a friendly pointer to Dean about this.

Regards,

Marcel

Attachment 83977
    I was interested in finding out the general lingo for this, but as posted above by another user, there seems to be considerable cross-over in how squadrons are referred to - VF-84, Strike Fighter Squadron 84, Fighting 84th etc. I went with a generalisation as VF-84 is already referred to as the aircraft "variation" and also the texture maps, so it's fairly clear already.
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKDEN View Post
    I'm also a bit concerned that no weapons will be present if it's sold directly through the MSFS store... If so, better to buy directly through the DC Designs site.
    There is no DC Designs website. Also, weapons are present just as they are on the F-15s - you select them via the payload manager, adding the assigned weight so that the weapons appear and the weight is added to the airframe. MSFS simply cannot have those weapons displayed on the marketplace, so you don't see them in the promotion images.
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

IMO,

Dean, it's completely incorrect naming convention for USN fighter squadrons. Just my .02 cents here but seems like you should change it prior to release. It's only going to draw extra criticism and take away from the hard work you've put into this project. People focusing on something seemingly "silly" rather than the product. If people think you couldn't get the naming correct, why even look any further. Which is not great logic (But there's a lot of that on reddit), but you don't need that type of PR when you've put so much hard work into this. Wish you all the best with the release.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

I'm just excited that the DC Designs FB page says that it will be released on the 19th!!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    IMO,

Dean, it's completely incorrect naming convention for USN fighter squadrons. Just my .02 cents here but seems like you should change it prior to release. It's only going to draw extra criticism and take away from the hard work you've put into this project. People focusing on something seemingly "silly" rather than the product. If people think you couldn't get the naming correct, why even look any further. Which is not great logic (But there's a lot of that on reddit), but you don't need that type of PR when you've put so much hard work into this. Wish you all the best with the release.
    Dunnit, changed them to VF- codes

The manual is available!!

https://downloads.justflight.com/sup...mcatManual.pdf

Cheers,

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Yeah baby!!!!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Any painters on SOH interested in doing a NATC Pax River paint for me? If so, I have pictures, buno, etc.... NC

SOH-CM-2018
    Hi all,
    I am really enjoying flying this Cat, however I have several questions. I have read the manual several times but I cannot figure out how to deploy the speed brake. I know I have read it or heard it in some review videos but cannot for the life of me can't remember. Also is it and the tailhook assignable to stick/throttle buttons?
    Any help is greatly and gratefully appreciated.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jmfabio View Post
    Hi all,
    I am really enjoying flying this Cat, however I have several questions. I have read the manual several times but I cannot figure out how to deploy the speed brake. I know I have read it or heard it in some review videos but cannot for the life of me can't remember. Also is it and the tailhook assignable to stick/throttle buttons?
    Any help is greatly and gratefully appreciated.

Joe
    The speedbrake is a switch on the throttle. I assign a joystick button to spoilers toggle in the control menu and it works fine. The tailhook is an Lvar, a custom code for now, as the real tailhook variable in the sim doesn't work at this time, so for now you have to use the handle in the cockpit.

SOH-CM-2018
    Thanks for answering Dean. I am definitely enjoying this gem. It really satisfies my need for speed.

Cheers,

Joe

I hope the painters are busy! So many great liveries for the ‘Cat

I'm soooooo hoping for a real lo viz F-14B to turn up. Something tactical, not those deadly colours!!

Sorry, that was my inner grunt...

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    I'm soooooo hoping for a real lo viz F-14B to turn up. Something tactical, not those deadly colours!!

Sorry, that was my inner grunt...

Priller

I understand the tactical reason for NAVAIR making the change to "craptical" grey colors, but from a maintainer point of view, cleaning the high gloss was a helluva lot easier! The grey paint is porous, and dirt is not as easy to remove. Plus, for me, I love the bright colors; especially the many different tailstrikes. The tactical grey is boring! To me, anyway! NC

Tastes differ Pete!!

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Members who have read this thread: 0