Westland Whirlwind - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Westland Whirlwind

SOH-CM-2022
    Quote Originally Posted by wingman111 View Post
    Hi Gavin
    My guess would be the path for the extra sounds called for in panel/ASC.cfg is now wrong .
    Either try changing that path to reflect your "Additional Aircraft " route or move the aircraft to the Simobjects/Airplanes folder.
    Cheers
    DR
    Doh,
    So obvious when you point it out.

I did remember to change the ASC.DLL for the FSX install, should have realized that was the issue in P3D.

Thanks
    Gavin

Lovely Christmas present. It works beautifully in Prep3d v5.3 once the tweaks in #40,43 and 49 have been done. Many thanks, she's a beauty.
    Mike

Hi Cavok
    Can you say what tweaks are necessary, because it works with P3D v4.5 but not on 5.3 HF1.
    Regards
    Michel

Quote Originally Posted by mpni View Post
    Hi Cavok
    Can you say what tweaks are necessary, because it works with P3D v4.5 but not on 5.3 HF1.
    Regards
    Michel
    Hi Michel
    The most important is #43 which cures ctds. By the way I'm using the non TAC Pac version.
    So assuming you are installing your add-ons in a folder outside of P3d the path for the extra sounds called for in panel/ASC.cfg is now wrong.
    You have 2 choices either reinstall the model in P3d simobjects\airplanes or change the text in the
    panel/ASC.cfg. it looks like this wavdir=SimObjects\Airplanes\Westland_whirlwind\Sou nd\Sound_System_Whirlwind
    Mine now looks like this
    wavdir=D:\add on aircraft\Westland_Whirlwind\Sound\Sound_System_Whi rlwind
    To discover the address of your add on folder simply open it in explorer then put the cursor in the address window, right click and select "copy address as text" then substitute the bits you need in the panel/ASC.cfg

Another tweak is #40 where the first three lines in the lights section needs to be changed
    The [Lights} section should read:-
    light.0 = 3, 0.450, -22.30, 1.47, fx_ww_nav_r1
    light.1 = 3, 0.450, 22.30, 1.47, fx_ww_nav_g1
    light.2 = 3, -24.800, 0.00, 6.67, fx_ww_nav_w1

The last tweak is #49 regarding the sliding canopy -
    deleting the line:-
    100 (>L:slide_canopy, number) from :- panel / ww_1 / WW1_load will cure that. Its an xml file which you can open and edit in WordPad, simply delete the line and save.
    Hope this helps.
    Mike

Lovely aircraft, has pulled me back to P3D from the dark side...particularly like the flap/radiator modelling
    Included scan of the Air Ministry Pilots Notes is a particular bonus - I was pondering buying a copy!
    Well worth reading the manual to fly it properly.

Hi CavOk
    Thank you very much for your full explanation.
    All done but same issue for me.
    Even if I disable ASC.cfg, ASC.DLL and line gauge00=ASC!MAIN, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0 in the panel.cfg
    So there is another thing that goes wrong for me.
    Windows report errors with g2d.dll 5.3.15.28131 and Framework v4.0.30319
    Regards
    Michel

Quote Originally Posted by mpni View Post
    Hi CavOk
    Thank you very much for your full explanation.
    All done but same issue for me.
    Even if I disable ASC.cfg, ASC.DLL and line gauge00=ASC!MAIN, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0 in the panel.cfg
    So there is another thing that goes wrong for me.
    Windows report errors with g2d.dll 5.3.15.28131 and Framework v4.0.30319
    Regards
    Michel
    perhaps if you describe what's happening someone in the forum will be able to help
    Best regards
    Mike

Looks a lovely model in the preview panel but CTD - won't load. P3Dv5.3. Checked the ASC.cfg file and it's correct. I've not installed the tacpac components though.

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Hello,

-I find that I can not open or close the Canopy with Drag!
    I deleted the line 100 (> L: Slide_Canopy, Number), but without change!
    However, with Maj + E, in view of Cockpit, and passing immediately in external view, the Canopy opens!
    But no maneuver closes it!
    In addition the closing / opening crank does not work! (Correct?)
    I use FSX!

For me,lights:
    light.0 = 3, 0.440, -22.35, 1.47, fx_ww_nav_r1
    light.1 = 3, 0.450, 22.35, 1.47, fx_ww_nav_g1
    light.2 = 3, -24.950, 0.00, 6.67, fx_ww_nav_w1

Alain
    -

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    Looks a lovely model in the preview panel but CTD - won't load. P3Dv5.3. Checked the ASC.cfg file and it's correct. I've not installed the tacpac components though.

DaveQ
    I assume you have installed the TacPac version. I have installed the other version and with the tweaks I've described have no problems.
    I'm thinking that the TacPac version has unique issues?
    Mike

I have not the TacPack. Is there something to disable?

Is anybody using it OK in P3D 5.3?
    It's fine for me in 5.2

BTW anyone having problems with the gunsight - make sure the Battery switch is on, most things work without it but gunsight and temp gauges need it.

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    Is anybody using it OK in P3D 5.3?
    It's fine for me in 5.2

BTW anyone having problems with the gunsight - make sure the Battery switch is on, most things work without it but gunsight and temp gauges need it.
    I'm using P3d 5.3

@Alain . Seems only the canopy handle on G-AGOI is working ..... are you dragging in the right plane i.e. left to right ?

Anyone having trouble with CTD's I would advise installing the aircraft in the SimObject/Aircrafts folder . that should avoid problems with the extra sounds path...... What are the benefits of placing the aircraft elsewhere anyway ?

There is no change to the model with TP , just some extra files .

Hi
    Same issue when installing the aircraft in the SimObject/Aircrafts folder of P3D 5.3HF1.
    (
    g2d.dll 5.3.15.28131 and Framework v4.0.30319)

The content error with the first of the selection (Whirlwind_mk1 263 Sqn HE-H)
    But it seems it is not the raison because no errors with others aircrafts, but always CTD.
    [error.0] error=Texture "FRESNEL_RAMP.DDS" failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)
    [error.1] error=Invalid Texture name "DDS" specified for model "WW_mk1".
    [error.2] error=Texture "DDS" failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)

Regards
    Michel

Whirlwind will run in P3D V4.5 just fine but not so in P3D V5.3 - It will load the preview screen then starts to load the scenery et all then quits..

Confirmed - it's OK in P3Dv4.5 and FSX but not (at least on my rig - Ryzen 5800X CPU, Radeon 6800 GPU) in 5.3. Not installed HF1 yet though.

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Hello

@ Wingman111,
    -to open the Canopy, Drag left to the right works for the opening, but I can not close it in any way!
    The crank or handle of the Canopy has no action!
    Including on the civilian version!
    Regards

Alain
    -

In P3D v4.5 the click and drag area to close the canopy is outlined roughly in red here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Whirlwind drag spot to close.jpg  
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    P3D v3.4
    P3D v4.5
    FSX-SE
    X-Plane 11

Quote Originally Posted by alain0568 View Post
    Hello

@ Wingman111,
    -to open the Canopy, Drag left to the right works for the opening, but I can not close it in any way!
    The crank or handle of the Canopy has no action!
    Including on the civilian version!
    Regards

Alain
    -
    Aw, shucks, I uploaded an unfixed version of the Civy cockpit so you are right the winding handle has no mouse area , as for the dragging, try not opening the canopy so far , makes it easier to find the mouse area on the rail .
    D

Hi,

-Ok wingman, I finally found the (small) area!
    Thank you!

Alain

-

Now up and running in P3DV5.3 - it would not load using the addon xml method (ctd on loading) but once I just put into the main sim airplanes folder as suggested previously. Loaded perfectly.

What a delightful aeroplane, great textures and work, it fly's beautifully, sound is good, animations all work for me. Two circuits in it and no problems at all. Just need to get to know it better hard to comprehend why the developers would abandon this one - it is great! Many thanks for uploading for us.

The window to access these files has now closed and the links no longer valid .
    Thank you those that left feedback , and happy new year to all.
    Cheers
    DR

Members who have read this thread: 4