Westland Whirlwind - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Westland Whirlwind

Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    Don't make any assumptions. I don't have FSX, so can't comment on this point.
    I did say "maybe" FSX.

Dave
    Hi guys
    Well Dave has been soldering on to answer questions as best he could , but the definitive answers are :-
    P3D ..... yes; FSX.... yes ; TP... if you want ; MSFS..... no way.
    It seems commercially P3D/FSX are being treated as dead ,
    As you guys showed interest , and in the spirit of Christmas, rather than just letting this beast gather dust on my hard drive I've loaded it up so you can get a proper look at it .
    The model is not fully beta tested ,so sorry if there are any glitches ,you'll just have to take it as it is .
    I'm no aerodynamicist so the flight model is not to a professional standard , maybe someone with more experience would like to have a go at that ?
    As for the model itself , there are no Whirlwinds in existence , but the
    Whirlwind Fighter Project , is attempting a full scale replica , and I have used all the data they have to create this model so it is pretty darned accurate!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/etxexkr2co...cpack.zip?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/z097zkzbm2...20mk1.zip?dl=0

Hope you enjoy
    Have fun and a merry Christmas .
    Dave Rowberry

NB for FSX swap the sound .DLL in the panel folder , and the rear view mirror will be black.... sorry

Many thanks Dave.

Look forward to trying it out in P3D!

Have a happy Christmas and a great new year.

Cheers

Paul

-Thank you very much Dave! Alain

This is a real treat, always liked the whirlwind. Tried it in fsx, worked great. This is a terrific model thank you very much.

Thanks Dave for this marvelous addon I like the pilot's left arm throttle movement.

It works pretty good in P3D V4.5 however one little glitch - (Vacate Pilot) - when selected, the pilot will flicker off and on and never leaves the cockpit for me.

Last edited by gray eagle; December 24th, 2021 at 13:02.

Dave - Thank you for doing this, appreciated very much. Give it a whirl over the Xmas break. Need to do some reading about the beast see how it behaved.

P3D may appear dead but far from it, LM have released V5.3 and a HF update - this sim really is amazing now fast, brilliant graphics, rock steady and best most of nearly everything from FSX days works beautifully and looks fantastic. I can run 30 fps no stutters with everything on max (textures, ground etc) so the Whirlwind will be fine.

Merry Xmas

SOH-CM-2022

Thank you

Dave, thank you very much for the Whirlwind. Once the xmas family obligations go away I hope to spend a lot of quality time with her.

I always thought the Whirlwind was one of the nicest looking WW2 aircraft.

Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Thanks Dave for this marvelous addon I like the pilot's left arm throttle movement.

It works pretty good in P3D V4.5 however one little glitch - (Vacate Pilot) - when selected, the pilot will flicker off and on and never leaves the cockpit for me.
    Sometimes he vacates and sometimes he doesn't - If I reload this then the pilot will disappear. I cannot get the vacate pilot light to go out. All switches off will kill the engines.
    For me, the vacate pilot is temperamental in function ( If I click on it when on it won't go out. If I do a reload this plane then sometimes all is okay.
    There is a hot spot on the canopy that will make it close/open and sometimes all I here is the sound of the canopy moving with no movement. The vacate setting is stuck for me
    and if it is on I cannot make the light go out.
    Last edited by gray eagle; December 25th, 2021 at 08:18.

Wow. Thanks for the unexpected Christmas gift. Works great in FSXA.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by wingman111 View Post
    Hi guys
    Well Dave has been soldering on to answer questions as best he could , but the definitive answers are :-
    P3D ..... yes; FSX.... yes ; TP... if you want ; MSFS..... no way.y
    A pity. But Merry Xmas to you.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Sometimes he vacates and sometimes he doesn't - If I reload this then the pilot will disappear. I cannot get the vacate pilot light to go out. All switches off will kill the engines.
    For me, the vacate pilot is temperamental in function ( If I click on it when on it won't go out. If I do a reload this plane then sometimes all is okay.
    There is a hot spot on the canopy that will make it close/open and sometimes all I here is the sound of the canopy moving with no movement. The vacate setting is stuck for me
    Ah you have got a pilot that doesn't know if he is coming or going !
    For the pilot to vacate the battery must be OFF , so if you set cold and dark and then select vacate he should disappear .
    Selecting battery ON will bring him back .
    I don't know why he would flicker , possible your default model has battery ON ?
    D

Quote Originally Posted by wingman111 View Post
    Ah you have got a pilot that doesn't know if he is coming or going !
    For the pilot to vacate the battery must be OFF , so if you set cold and dark and then select vacate he should disappear .
    Selecting battery ON will bring him back .
    I don't know why he would flicker , possible your default model has battery ON ?
    D
    Thanks wingman that works better.

Wing lights

Would like to see the port and starboard wing tips lights a little closer to the wingtips.

I looked the mdl in Mcx at it looks like the attach point could be dialed in closer.

The issue I've discovered is I cannot shut off the vacate indicator light/ When P3D first loads this aircraft and I shift+1 all three cockpit switches are off till I select one or the other. When the
    vacate switch is selected the yellow light will not go out when the aircraft is running or the set for start is selected. I've tried to cycle the master bat switch on/off and that doesn't phase
    the vacate cockpit light (turn off.) Once it is on it stays on until I re select this aircraft and start from scratch again. If I chose all switches off - that light comes on and cold and dark is off.
    If I select cold and dark then all switches off light goes out - all the while the vacate pilot light is on. Once it is selected I can't get it to shut off.

Would like to see the port and starboard wing tips lights a little closer to the wingtips.

I looked the mdl in Mcx at it looks like the attach point could be dialed in closer.
    My bad, an old cfg . The [Lights} section should read:-
    light.0 = 3, 0.450, -22.30, 1.47, fx_ww_nav_r1
    light.1 = 3, 0.450, 22.30, 1.47, fx_ww_nav_g1
    light.2 = 3, -24.800, 0.00, 6.67, fx_ww_nav_w1

(The cfg in the tacpac download is corrected.)
    D

The issue I've discovered is I cannot shut off the vacate indicator light/ When P3D first loads this aircraft and I shift+1 all three cockpit switches are off till I select one or the other. When the
    vacate switch is selected the yellow light will not go out when the aircraft is running or the set for start is selected. I've tried to cycle the master bat switch on/off and that doesn't phase
    the vacate cockpit light (turn off.) Once it is on it stays on until I re select this aircraft and start from scratch again. If I chose all switches off - that light comes on and cold and dark is off.
    If I select cold and dark then all switches off light goes out - all the while the vacate pilot light is on. Once it is selected I can't get it to shut off.
    You are creating your own problem here, The intention of the removable pilot was to enable screenshot artists to create a pre-flight scenario .So set the aircraft to the state required and CLOSE the loading panel . After you have taken a screenshot or whatever , begin to start the engines (turn the battery on) and the pilot will automatically reappear .
    D

SOH-CM-2022

Causing a CTD in P3D

I just tried the Whirlwind in P3D 4.5 and as soon as the model starts to load it causes P3D to crash to desktop.

I have installed the sounds and effects in the main P3D folders and the model is in my "Additional Aircraft" folder and installed using addon.xml (as are all my other 3rd party models with no issue).

Any thoughts on why I am having issues?

thanks
    Gavin

Edit - Just tested the model in FSX-SE and it seems to work well so there must be some issue in my P3D install.

Quote Originally Posted by gavinc View Post
    I just tried the Whirlwind in P3D 4.5 and as soon as the model starts to load it causes P3D to crash to desktop.

I have installed the sounds and effects in the main P3D folders and the model is in my "Additional Aircraft" folder and installed using addon.xml (as are all my other 3rd party models with no issue).

Any thoughts on why I am having issues?

thanks
    Gavin

Edit - Just tested the model in FSX-SE and it seems to work well so there must be some issue in my P3D install.
    Hi Gavin
    My guess would be the path for the extra sounds called for in panel/ASC.cfg is now wrong .
    Either try changing that path to reflect your "Additional Aircraft " route or move the aircraft to the Simobjects/Airplanes folder.
    Cheers
    DR

Hello,

-Test to day in FSX!
    Really very beautiful!
    Very realistic cockpit, a treat!
    Question, however: how to activate the slats?(becs de bord d'attaque)
    Thanks again to Dave

Alain
    -

Quote Originally Posted by alain0568 View Post
    Hello,

-Test to day in FSX!
    Really very beautiful!
    Very realistic cockpit, a treat!
    Question, however: how to activate the slats?(becs de bord d'attaque)
    Thanks again to Dave

Alain
    -
    Hi Alain
    Fully automatic ..... so pull up to stall speed .
    Cheers
    DR

Edit
    An asymmetric bomb load combined with asymmetric slat opening could produce an un-recoverable roll , so the slats were wired closed when bombs carried.
    Last edited by wingman111; December 27th, 2021 at 08:00.

Hello,

-Ah yes,ok Wingman111!

Thank you!

Alain

Thanks again for the Whirlwind. Great job whoever put this together.

Now that I've taken a few flights, I have some questions or observations (FSXA install).

Yesterday, I took a flight under snowy weather conditions. A minute after takeoff, I lost boost and made a quick abort to the airport. After landing and looking at the engine controls for carb. heat and mixture, I was able to take off and resume my flight. I couldn't adjust the mixture setting nor could I find any controls for carb. heating (maybe there are none), so I'm wondering if I missed anything. Had no issue with clear weather, BTW.

And yes, some of the xml controlled animations seem quirky. I can drag the canopy open, but could not close it the same way. Also, I cannot seem to turn on the gun sight. Again, anything I'm missing or doing wrong? Are there any additional keyboard shortcuts (with Tacpack) for these animations?

Thanks in advance.
    -- WH

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post

And yes, some of the xml controlled animations seem quirky. I can drag the canopy open, but could not close it the same way.
    I too have experienced the canopy drag issue you described but in P3D V4.5 - I can here the open and close sounds but no movement.

Hi WH
    Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post

Now that I've taken a few flights, I have some questions or observations (FSXA install).

Yesterday, I took a flight under snowy weather conditions. A minute after takeoff, I lost boost and made a quick abort to the airport. After landing and looking at the engine controls for carb. heat and mixture, I was able to take off and resume my flight. I couldn't adjust the mixture setting nor could I find any controls for carb. heating (maybe there are none), so I'm wondering if I missed anything. Had no issue with clear weather, BTW.

And yes, some of the xml controlled animations seem quirky. I can drag the canopy open, but could not close it the same way. Also, I cannot seem to turn on the gun sight. Again, anything I'm missing or doing wrong? Are there any additional keyboard shortcuts (with Tacpack) for these animations?

Thanks in advance.
    Hi WH
    I guess they had no need for carb heat !
    The mixture control can only be selected when throttles are in mid range , and sprung load OFF at high or low throttle settings.
    It looks like selecting cold & dark jams the canopy open so deleting the line:-
    100 (>L:slide_canopy, number) from :- panel / ww_1 / WW1_load will stop that.
    Drag also works the canopy handle
    Two switches for the gunsight , Master gunsight(above the VSI) and day / off / night on the left side body of the gunsight mount
    and ensure the seat is not to high/low for viewing.
    Dave R

Thanks, Dave.

All good now.

Interesting engagement on the mixture. Never encountered that before.
    -- WH

Members who have read this thread: 3