Jungle Style Bridges UT

Thread: Jungle Style Bridges UT

"jungle" bridges

As I make my wat North & West, further & further into the Highlands of Papua New Guinea, I'm becoming tired of having to place the same old "small wooden bridge* object to mark crossing places on the many streams & rivers.

So I decided to make a set of "jungle" bridges. The look is inspired by a couple of black & white photos in an appendix to the Allied Geographical Section, SWPTO's Terrain Study No.28 "Main Routes Across New Guinea", dated 18th October 1942.

But first, I tried to improve the alpha channel on the texture used by the stock small wooden bridge in order to improve it's appearance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sml_wooden_bridge_alpha_texs_WIP1.jpg  

I've created 3 different road bridges & 3 different foot bridges, loosely based on the appearance of the bridges in the Geographical report from October 1942.

First we have the road bridges ...

I still have to fine tune the DP files, but they are multi-LOD & each type has a unique destroyed model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new_junglebridge_A_WIP1.jpg   new_junglebridge_A_WIP2.jpg   new_junglebridge_A_destroyed_WIP1.jpg   new_junglebridge_B_WIP2.jpg   new_junglebridge_C_WIP1.jpg  

Next are the narrow foot bridges.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new_junglebridge_Z_WIP2.jpg   new_junglebridge_Z_destroyed_WIP1.jpg   inf_junglebridge_Y_UT.jpg   new_junglebridge_X_WIP5.jpg   inf_junglebridge_X_UT.jpg  

Great!

Lovely work UT. Outstanding detail.

Lovely work John. Very useful bridges for the Owen Stanleys.

Beautifull work Uncle Tgt, many thanks

Martin

They are in the queue for authorisation

Jungle Style Bridges UT

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Scenery - Library objects

Description: "Jungle" Style Small Bridge infrastructure Objects for CFS2 by UncleTgt

This is a collection of new small bridge objects I created using G-Max & Allen's Making Exploding Objects using FS2002 Tools & Tutorial. All of them are multi-LOD & include custom destroyed models.

I started by repainting some of the "standard" infrastructure objects to improve their appearance in the sim, often just by making them larger & improving the details on the texture. Then I moved on to create some new objects in G-Max where I thought there were still gaps to be filled.

small wooden bridge - revised texture bitmaps with an improved alpha channel transparency

Junglebridges A, B, C & Jungle Bridges X, Y & Z
    ===============================================

The design for these objects were inspired by some b & w photos in the Allied Force's Geographical Report on routes across Papua New Guinea, dating from October 1942.

Junglebridges A,B & C are road bridges, with A being similar in size to the stock small wooden bridge object. Bridge A is largely based on the road bridge at Wairopia. Bridge C is the smallest bridge I could make in this style that didn't just look silly, & could be usefully employed in those hilly areas where the Rhumba LOD 8 mesh makes placing longer river crossing impossible.

Junglebridges X, Y & Z are narrower foot bridges. Bridge Z is the largest, roughly as long as the stock small wooden bridge, with bridge X being the shortest, useful for depicting those mountain pass crossings.

To install, unzip the download to a temporary location & move/ copy files to the matching folder names inside your chosen CFS 2 install.

Thanks to

XavierB, Maskrider & Wolfi for leading the way with their infrastructure objects
    Allen for his Making Exploding Objects using FS2002 Tools & Tutorial
    Arno Gerretsen for ModelconverterX & FXeditor, such clever & versatile tools

This is freeware and subject to the usual conditions

UncleTgt
    AUG 2021

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Jungle Style Bridges UT
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Library Staff
    Thanks very much John - they look great!
    Kevin

Hats off to you for these new bridges...excellent object upgrades. Thank you UT.

Hi UncleTgt
    Great addition.
    Super work.
    Cheers
    Stuart

UncleTgt
    Beautiful work Being a total ignoramus about the use of theres. I assume mission builders will use them but there are no "stock" ones to repace in the existing installs I may have except the "inf_small_wooden_bridge" in most of the standard objects required in particularly the PTO missions.

A very nice package. Thank you, sir!!!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Members who have read this thread: 0