Chicago Add-Ons ( better even 'Chica-no-go' Add-Ons)

Thread: Chicago Add-Ons ( better even 'Chica-no-go' Add-Ons)

Chicago Add-Ons ( better even 'Chica-no-go' Add-Ons)

Gone shopping at MSFS Market today. Bought and installed FSDreamteam KORD O'Hare, Drzewiecki Design Chicago Landmarks, ZDesign Studios KCGX Merril C.Meigs. That should do it in order to get Chicago in MSFS up to scratch, right ? (default O'Hare looks like there has been a war going on, have to taxi in between piles of rubble, debris and ruins.., never seen it so bad yet anywhere else ).

Alas no go. Probabely not a good idea to install all 3 sceneries all at once. No matter if i select O'Hare or Meigs or anything else in the periphery as departing airfield, a few seconds after i hit the FLY button MSFS throws the towel into the ring. Ctrl/Alt/Delete only way to get out. Selecting a flight from Europe or Asia, ( or to quote Chock: "what have you"..;-) no problemo.

Does anyone have experience with these 3 Chicago sceneries ? Which one could be the culprit of an MSFS crash ? Maybe FSDT KORD and Drzewiecki Chicago Landmarks can't stand eachother ?

As always, any enlightenment here will be highly appreciated !

Thanks!

I heard that having addons with the same mdl.lib names can cause ctd's
    Maybe it has something to do with this .
    https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...-bgl/307563/40
    as for sceneries , I always use https://flightsim.to/file/1572/msfs-addons-linker for installing them.
    It has a build-in feature that can rename those files for you.

Hello Jan, it's sad that you can't take advantage of these addons.
    On my side I use MSFS (bought via Microsoft store) on a 17 inches notebook with an old GTX1070 Nvidia graphic card.

For the Chicago area I use these addons without any problems
    - Chicago O'Hare V2 by FSDreamTeam (if I remember correctly, the installation takes care of uninstalling Asobo's default KORD airport).
    - Drzewiecki Design Chicago Landmarks
    - Chicago Middway KMDW freeware scenery by kingnothing75 ( https://fr.flightsim.to/file/5760/ch...rport-kmdw-usa ).

I don't own the addon ZDesign Studios KCGX Merril C.Meigs.

Richard

I have "z_guillermozulueta-meigsprofessional", and KORD by FS DreamTeam with no problem. Neither of which, is from the in game market. I bought the 3rd party version from the designer sight.

Thank you Sue, Richard and Spook ! I deleted all 3 sceneries, all's fine again in the Chicago area. I will now reload KORD first and see if that works. If so i'll try to add Drzewiecki Chicago Landmarks and so on.

Maybe it's like adding new fish to your fishtank, you don't just drop 'em in like that, you let 'em adapt to the temp slowly by letting the bag float in the water for a while. ;-)

@ Richard: amazing to read about your rig ! (certainly in combination with your amazing screenshots ! ;-) I'd love to add KMDW too. Thanks for your input.

@ Sue: good to know FSDT KORD and ZDesign Meigs *can* work together. Thanks!

@ Spook: thanks for the tips but i don't intend to add truckloads of add-ons and don't want to make it more complicated as it is. I have a good overview of my Community folder and just learned how to delete add-ons i don't really need which shortend the loading time significantly. I also like to keep track of things myself rather than let a proggy take care of it. ;-)

I'll look into the mdl.lib names if i still have a problem with these 3 sceneries combined. Thanks again !

The Chicago area is special to me because it is the second birthplace of FS (first is Champaign of course) and i have always loved Meigs field ( i have never been there for real and i never met that Chicago mayor Richard M. Daley who had it destroyed but i hate him ! )

Let you know what happend, thanks again lady and gentlemen !

i am interested to hear how it pan's out for you.

I have Meigs Field Pro from ZStudio, and love it. No issues what so even. I enjoy re-loving old memories from the early FS days.
    I used to also have Drzewiecki Design Chicago Landmarks installed, but that one brought my frame rate to a crawl, so I ditched it, and never re-installed it. Not sure if they ever fixed it.

Good luck, and keep us posted. (Ik houd mijn vingers gekruisd).

One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Gone shopping at MSFS Market today. Bought and installed FSDreamteam KORD O'Hare, Drzewiecki Design Chicago Landmarks, ZDesign Studios KCGX Merril C.Meigs. That should do it in order to get Chicago in MSFS up to scratch, right ? (default O'Hare looks like there has been a war going on, have to taxi in between piles of rubble, debris and ruins.., never seen it so bad yet anywhere else ).

Alas no go. Probabely not a good idea to install all 3 sceneries all at once. No matter if i select O'Hare or Meigs or anything else in the periphery as departing airfield, a few seconds after i hit the FLY button MSFS throws the towel into the ring. Ctrl/Alt/Delete only way to get out. Selecting a flight from Europe or Asia, ( or to quote Chock: "what have you"..;-) no problemo.

Does anyone have experience with these 3 Chicago sceneries ? Which one could be the culprit of an MSFS crash ? Maybe FSDT KORD and Drzewiecki Chicago Landmarks can't stand eachother ?
    Problem is Drzewiecki Chicago Landmarks.
    After SimUpdate 5, this pack has compatibility issues they're already aware of, and (apparently) they're already working on a fix.
    BTW, same thing happens with their Moscow Landmarks, but not with Seattle or Washington DC.

Consequently, you'll need to temporarily delete Chicago Landmarks from the in-game Content Manager, until the fix is released.

In the meanwhile, you can go on using Zulueta's Meigs Field (this I know for sure) and presumably your O'Hare add-on, along with the default Chicago scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardLouis View Post
    on a 17 inches notebook with an old GTX1070 Nvidia graphic card.
    I have you beat! I'm on a 16" (15.5" viewable) laptop with an AMD Ryzen 5 3550H, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650, and 16.0 GB RAM.

As for Chi-town, I currently just have the free version of that Meigs. I also just picked up a nice looking Midway freeware that I'll by trying out soon. I usually avoid the big airports like KORD because it takes almost as long to taxi in and out of parking as it does to make the flight.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

What, you don't want the achievement for taxiing 100 miles Tom
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    What, you don't want the achievement for taxiing 100 miles Tom
    If I wanted that, I could just do a few flights in and out of KDFW. You're guaranteed at least five miles every time! I remember one real flight from KAMA to KDFW where we spent just as much time getting from the runway to the gate as we did in the air.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    If I wanted that, I could just do a few flights in and out of KDFW. You're guaranteed at least five miles every time! I remember one real flight from KAMA to KDFW where we spent just as much time getting from the runway to the gate as we did in the air.
    Same thing when flying from Amsterdam to London Heathrow...... taxiing forever and not enough time to eat your breakfast on the 7 am flight....
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    I have you beat! I'm on a 16" (15.5" viewable) laptop with an AMD Ryzen 5 3550H, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650, and 16.0 GB RAM.

As for Chi-town, I currently just have the free version of that Meigs. I also just picked up a nice looking Midway freeware that I'll by trying out soon. I usually avoid the big airports like KORD because it takes almost as long to taxi in and out of parking as it does to make the flight.
    Ouch, wow, respect Sir !
    For my part, I am addicted to screenshots and I really like long taxis to discover the small details of airports.

Thanks euphorically everyone ! Finally then :

Chicago Landmarks indeed the culprit ( thanks for confirming Stearman ! ). Pity but i'm happy the other two work fine now and look amazing. At first FSDT KORD couldn't care less about default KORD. The whole kit'n caboodle together, fantastic mess ! Reboot and reload did the trick.

Not that happy with a bunch of Spitfires and other small GA parked at the gates at KORD waiting for passengers to board.. There are 3 Spits too at Meigs, they even start taxiïng in nose-gear config...

Talking about AI.... can we already active AI again or will it still induce a CTD ?...

Truly fantastic to experience the Chicago area in (almost) full glory again now with MSFS. Brings back fond memories from many years ago. Meigs used to be my default airfield also for many years. Loved to practise 'short field precision landing' there (if that's what it was called... ;-) learned it from a RW GA flying book) also because of the 36/18 runways. Can't wait to go ahead and practise again but now almost for real ! I bet i can still do it with my eyes closed but that would be such a waste.

It was a bit of a rough ride (first time i got serious trouble with MSFS) install/uninstall/install/uninstall/install/uninstall/reboot/reload/install/uninstall/ etc and so on und so weiter so you can imagine i am a happy camper now.
    Thanks very much again everybody !

cheers,
    jan

There's one thing about my setup that may be different... Even though the laptop has a full 1080 screen, I'm still running it like a desktop. Coming off of the laptop, are one HDMI to a 24" 1080 monitor, and one USB 3.0 hub. On that hub, are my webcam, X52, USB speaker bar, and an external optical drive. The receiver to my wireless KB/mouse is in the side of the laptop. I rarely ever touch the actual laptop - it just sits off to the side acting as a second monitor.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Thanks euphorically everyone ! Finally then :

https://i.ibb.co/mBBfWPk/finally-Meigs.jpg

Chicago Landmarks indeed the culprit ( thanks for confirming Stearman ! ). Pity but i'm happy the other two work fine now and look amazing. At first FSDT KORD couldn't care less about default KORD. The whole kit'n caboodle together, fantastic mess ! Reboot and reload did the trick.

Not that happy with a bunch of Spitfires and other small GA parked at the gates at KORD waiting for passengers to board.. There are 3 Spits too at Meigs, they even start taxiïng in nose-gear config...

Talking about AI.... can we already active AI again or will it still induce a CTD ?...

Truly fantastic to experience the Chicago area in (almost) full glory again now with MSFS. Brings back fond memories from many years ago. Meigs used to be my default airfield also for many years. Loved to practise 'short field precision landing' there (if that's what it was called... ;-) learned it from a RW GA flying book) also because of the 36/18 runways. Can't wait to go ahead and practise again but now almost for real ! I bet i can still do it with my eyes closed but that would be such a waste.

It was a bit of a rough ride (first time i got serious trouble with MSFS) install/uninstall/install/uninstall/install/uninstall/reboot/reload/install/uninstall/ etc and so on und so weiter so you can imagine i am a happy camper now.
    I'm not quite clear if you finally managed to load Chicago Landmarks scenery, and how.
    Would you please explain?

Quote Originally Posted by Stearman View Post
    I'm not quite clear if you finally managed to load Chicago Landmarks scenery, and how.
    Would you please explain?
    Sorry if i was not clear, Stearman. I installed the Chicago Landmarks scenery after it became clear that the KORD scenery works fine. Like before, after installing the Landmarks scenery the loading of it came to a stop immidiately after hitting the FLY button. No CTD or crash, the loading process just stopped. Only Ctrl/Alt/Delete to get back to desktop. Lets hope Drzewiecki Design is on it so we can enjoy the Chicago area in full glory. I had lots of Drzewiecki stuff for FSX/P3D. Mostly all very beautiful (although NYC was presented as a slide show, both in FSX and P3D and even after the patch, atleast on my machine. What incredible difference now with MSFS ! ;-)

Btw, Dean's Stearman is my fav biplane in MSFS (i suppose remains to be seen after a Tiggie becomes available.. ;-)

Thanks again!

Sorry if i was not clear, Stearman. I installed the Chicago Landmarks scenery after it became clear that the KORD scenery works fine. Like before, after installing the Landmarks scenery the loading of it came to a stop immidiately after hitting the FLY button. No CTD or crash, the loading process just stopped. Only Ctrl/Alt/Delete to get back to desktop. Lets hope Drzewiecki Design is on it so we can enjoy the Chicago area in full glory.
    Thanks for clarifying.
    Unfortunately, according to latest posts in their support forum, Drzewiecki seem to have thrown the towel because they can't replicate the problem in their computers, and are putting the blame on Asobo instead.

This looks bad, I think only a miracle can help us now

Btw, Dean's Stearman is my fav biplane in MSFS
    Completely agreed.

Thanks Sue, but that must be Ant's freeware Tiger Moth, right ? It was the first ever model i tried with the MsfsLegacyImporter gadget to use with MSFS. Worked pretty well ! :

Of course it has its peculiarities like ever imported FSX model has but it still looks and flies very nicely. I have Ant's Tiger Moth Pro for FSX as well of course and that turns out pretty well in MSFS too. It's only the sound that doesn't work but i added that from the freeware version which *does* work. All in all very nice already but i am still waiting with bated breath for a Tiggie in full MSFS glory.

( one of the other peculiarities of the Pro version is that 'the passenger' is flying the Tiggie. No pilot figure in the external back seat.. ;-)

Thanks anyway, Sue !

The download links seems very iffy to me. It throws up all sorts of popups and won't proceed unless I agree to receiving notifications and that's not going to happen.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    The download links seems very iffy to me. It throws up all sorts of popups and won't proceed unless I agree to receiving notifications and that's not going to happen.
    Agreed. I can't even access the site because they don't like my ad blocker. It looks like they're trying to fool users into thinking they're going to https://www.msfsaddons.org/, but instead they get a page with lots of clickbait.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

You can also download Ant's freeware Tiggie from his own website here :

http://www.antsairplanes.com/downloa...erMothV110.zip

The Pro version has all sorts of additions but the sounds doesn't work in MSFS and there's no external pilot figure, only passenger in the front seat. Seems to me he/she has a PPL too so no worries. There is a pilot in the back seat with the Freeware version and the sound of the freeware does work too. If you like you can copy it to the Pro version to replace its soundsuite that doesn't work.

@ Tom: i still get the zip file directly... Anyway, if you don't like that this is Ant's website : http://www.antsairplanes.com
    Last edited by Javis; August 18th, 2021 at 04:46. Reason: Changed link to page instead of file.

Javis, I changed the link in your post to the downloads page instead of the actual file.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Members who have read this thread: 0