FCS Wellington textures
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FCS Wellington textures

FCS Wellington textures

OK, so I just picked up a copy of the FCS Wellington,does anyone know if they ever issued a patch to correct the abysmal mistake of the wrong roundels being used in wrong locations , ie type B on wing undersurfaces, when they should be type A,Type C used on wing upper surface etc. its not a bad looking model otherwise.TtfnPete

Pete,
    Agreed, a very good model, but the whole texture is awful! I like realistic weathering but that's just rediculous, apart from the roundel faults.

It really needs some love from a good artist.

And the less I say about their Sunderland...the better....

Cheers

Shessi

Not to mention the issues with malfunctioning gauges as well, I recall seeing something about a patch for that was in the works, but not the textures. Ah well I can consign it to the also ran bin I suppose.TtfnPete

Personally I really like the model. Flying it from the VC has a real nice atmosphere. Of course there are shortcomings, but I can ignore them. But once the step outside and view the external textures you will have the biggest disappointment.

It is the same with the models in the Hawker Heroes package. Except for the Fury, which has other problems in FS9, the external textures are all horrible.

I have considered to do alternative textures, but drawing the geodetic structure in a convincing way is a challenge which I'm not ready to meet. I once started on textures for the Vickers Wellesley by Jeff Marsh, but the result was quite disappointing.

But you never know.

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Personally I really like the model. Flying it from the VC has a real nice atmosphere. Of course there are shortcomings, but I can ignore them. But once the step outside and view the external textures you will have the biggest disappointment.

It's a lack of attention to detail, the sort of thing that some freeware developers get pilloried for on forums, yet because it's payware people put up with substandard work

Can't figure why it wasn't picked up in beta

Ttfn

Pete

I think I will give it a try, any preferences? Which model, what livery?

Not bad, from a distance and in poor light conditions!

Cheers,
    Huub

FCS Wellington textures

There are a few good repaints on FlightSim.com that have corrected wing roundels, but they are for the FSX version.

Thanks for putting my brains back to work

Of course I should have realised that somebody had already has dealt with this issue.

The repaints by Matt Levi and Peter Watkins are in .dds format, but for somebody with some basic knowledge of Martin Wright's dtxbmp program it shouldn't be too hard to convert them in the .bmp format required for FS9.

Cheers,
    Huub

The textures by Matt "jeansy" Levi are disappointing as they are not more than just an edit from the horrible default textures by FCS.

The textures by Peter Watkins are much better! However the geodetic structure is a bit too much present in my opinion. Reason enough for me to start my own textures/paintkit. Don't expect anything soon as I'm already working two days on the wings and tires/wheels.

FCS uses a weird texture lay out on several textures. For instance the engine, with exhaust seems to be exploded. As the exhaust is white , I will need some time to find all the parts which give this exhaust its colour........

Cheers,
    Huub

FCS Wellington textures

Hallo friends,

I fear that not every one would agree the way I tried to solve the wrong roundels problem
    only ground photos possible for known reasons
    Yours
    Papi

It sure is a very effective way to get rid of the faulty roundels. However I must warn you as in the Air Ministry Orders I was referring to in another thread is specifically mentioned the any deviation of the contents of these orders could result is hostile actions.

Cheers,
    Huub

Icon23 Still a very long way to go

The Default FCS textures:

Still struggling to make some improvements (my attempt):

Still a very challenging low way to go! (As you can see I work from the front to the back.....)

A part of the geodetic construction, more complex that just a few crosses (Thank you Peter Watkins!)

And how this (unfinished) tail wing looks at the model:

I'm quite satisfied with the looks of the geodetic structure, so I might do another attempt on the Vickers Wessely by Jeff Marsh.

Cheers,
    Huub

Beautiful work there Huub...always loved the Welly, and this looks so much better with your tex.

Makes me think. I really don't understand some commercial sim makers:- FCS, great Wellington (except those incorrect and ugly spinners!) with an awful tex (looks like WWI worn linen) and then a truely woeful Sunderland??!; JF Mossie (great wings, engs, tail, UC, VC) but an ugly incorrect fuselage; Alphasim (bless 'em), great ac, but didn't maximise at all on various ac type themes, which would have been so easy to do and made more money..and CR1...hollow and promise comes to mind...whoops! .

Anyway, look forward to this. And definitely a nice tex for the Wellesley, yes please.

Cheers

Shessi

Years ago at an event in the Dutch aviation museum Aviodrome, there was a guy selling all titles on CD-rom from FCS (and much more) for a reasonable price. I bought several, among which the Wellington. With an exception for the FSX version of the Hawker Fury, all FCS models are more or less all disappointing. Like you already stated before you wonder whether these models were ever beta tested. There are many errors and inaccuracies which should easily have been discovered and solved.
    However as the CD-roms contains both FSX and FS9 versions they are worth the money in my opinion. And when I look at the Wellington (more or less the same applies for the Lancaster as well) the VC is very "atmospheric". It gives me the feeling of "actually being there". Another advantage is the size of the textures. They make it possible to make more detailed textures than for the alternatives like Ted Cook's Wellington or the old Alphasim model.

So I still consider my 15 Euros (or something similar) well spend on this model. It keeps my memories to a nice event alive. And at this moment it provides me many, many hours of fun while trying to make decent repaint for it.

Cheers,
    Huub

Its a pity the FCS model has so many errors and missing parts. But for those who were disappointed by the textures, I did my best to create something different......

The geodetic structure is there, but not too visible.

Still some minor things and than I will upload

Cheers,
    Huub

Huub,

Superb!

Doesn't that look fantastic, and that's exactly how it should look...

Many thanks

Shessi

Great work Huub, i actually have this model, but it doesn't get flown much, cant wait to try the new look

Vickers Wellington R1443 304 Polish Bomber squadron

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Military skins - World War II

Description: This is a repaint for the payware First Class Simulations Vickers Wellington. The subject of this repaint is the Wellington Mk.IC R1443 from No.304 Polish Bomber Squadron. This aircraft was lost on 6 May 1941 after a bombing raid on Le Havre. It was the first operational loss of this squadron. The body from one of the crew members, Pilot Officer Feliks Sobieralski, washed ashore on 14 September 1941 in my home village, where he was buried and rests until today.
    As the aircraft letter is unknown, I have chosen the L for Lost. To remember all those young men who left their country, after it was overrun by the Germans, to continue fighting for their and our freedom.

Personally I find the FCS Wellington a disappointing model. The model has disturbing faults and has several missing parts. The fact I disliked the original textures, actually made me do this repaint. Although not tested, these textures will most likely work in FSX as well. To use them I advise you to remove the shared textures from the FS9 version.

Credits go to Martin Wright for his dtxbmp tool, whithout which these textures wouldn't exist and to Peter Watkins who's replacement textures I used to find out what the original geodetic structure looked like.

This should be it.

Huub Vink
    September 2021

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Vickers Wellington R1443 304 Polish Bomber squadron
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Thanks guys, I hope the repaint won't disappoint you. It is now available in the library.

The repaint has something personal. One of the crew members is buried at the War cemetery in my home village. As a schoolkid I did put flowers on the observer's grave on remembrance day.

Cheers,
    Huub

Looks great, Huub. I will give it a try in P3Dv4.5 tonight and let you know how it does.

August

That's just simply gorgeous. And thanks for putting the flowers out when you were little - that still means a LOT!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Thanks guys, I hope the repaint won't disappoint you. It is now available in the library.

The repaint has something personal. One of the crew members is buried at the War cemetery in my home village. As a schoolkid I did put flowers on the observer's grave on remembrance day.

Cheers,
    Huub
    Thanks Huub,

Here's the entry from Aircrew Remembered

"304 Squadron (P) Wellington IC R1443 P/O. Sym, RAF Syerston, anti-aircraft fire, North Sea off Texel" http://aircrewremembered.com/sym-antoni.html

And from 304 sqn history page
    http://www.polishsquadronsremembered.../304losses.htm

Seems there is a discrepancy between reports, one suggests it was shot down by FLAK , the other by a nightfighter. Given that its target was Le Havre, being shot down by FLAK near Texel puts it way off course.. I suspect the nightfighter is more plausible.

Ttfn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    Thanks Huub,

Here's the entry from Aircrew Remembered

"304 Squadron (P) Wellington IC R1443 P/O. Sym, RAF Syerston, anti-aircraft fire, North Sea off Texel" http://aircrewremembered.com/sym-antoni.html

And from 304 sqn history page
    http://www.polishsquadronsremembered.../304losses.htm

Seems there is a discrepancy between reports, one suggests it was shot down by FLAK , the other by a nightfighter. Given that its target was Le Havre, being shot down by FLAK near Texel puts it way off course.. I suspect the nightfighter is more plausible.

Ttfn

Pete
    That's correct Pete. the Wellington took off from Syerston and flew nearly straight south to Le Havre and was supposed to take the same route back. When the Wellington was indeed shot over Texel, the body drifted against the current back to my village, which is perhaps theoretically possible with a North-West storm, but no storm lasts for 4 months here.
    Its therefore most likely he was shot over the Channel.

Cheers,
    Huub

Your skin was a nice excuse to take this old tub for a ride in P3D again last night, and it looked great. I did convert your skins to DXT5 DDS and reverted to the original shared textures. Quite enjoyable and so much better looking than the FCS skins.

August

I'm glad it worked out. Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers,
    Huub

Members who have read this thread: 2